Are your parent's into computers?

asim1999

Actually, I didn't buy the i7 5960X myself, I got sent one for free. Other, than that, yeah, I am not denying that I can afford a more than decent rig, but I have to note that while my parents do indeed encourage me to do so, I earn my money all by myself. :)

Aww, i wish i got a free 5960X.

And btw, is this a good idea, my maths teacher (an avid PC enthusiast with watercooling experience and has been building pcs for 15 years) has got a national space project in our school and would like some sponsors and i suggested that Scan UK, who we both buy PC parts from (the largest PC parts retailer in the UK) sponsor us and so we can get a dedicated video editing rig and maybe pimp out our respective rigs as well), so should i try and contact them for free or discounted hardware?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Aww, i wish i got a free 5960X.

And btw, is this a good idea, my maths teacher (an avid PC enthusiast with watercooling experience and has been building pcs for 15 years) has got a national space project in our school and would like some sponsors and i suggested that Scan UK, who we both buy PC parts from (the largest PC parts retailer in the UK) sponsor us and so we can get a dedicated video editing rig and maybe pimp out our respective rigs as well), so should i try and contact them for free or discounted hardware?

Well, I got my processor directly from Intel, I don't have a signed sponsorship with anybody.

Regarding your question, you could try to contact the seller, but from what I have heard it is not that easy to convince a store to give you parts for free, since they don't make that much more on the resale margin of the components. I would go after the manufacturer itself. For example you can contact Asus representative for UK and explain him your idea and see what will they expect in return. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Well, I got my processor directly from Intel, I don't have a signed sponsorship with anybody.

Regarding your question, you could try to contact the seller, but from what I have heard it is not that easy to convince a store to give you parts for free, since they don't make that much more on the resale margin of the components. I would go after the manufacturer itself. For example you can contact Asus representative for UK and explain him your idea and see what will they explain in return. 

Thanls a lot, will do, and since it is a "national school project", companies may be the better bet 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro