For Boinc Users - Tips, Tricks and FAQ - Updated Oct 2013

Already are... Weird...

what is bitcoin mining? as in, what do you do when you mine?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

what is bitcoin mining? as in, what do you do when you mine?

Wrong thread - see this - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10886-introduction-to-bitcoins/

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

well, guess i need to start up my old boinc machines, winter is almost here, so once the temps cool down, ill turn the heat on, :)

my computer room gets to a toasty 30c in the summer with my pc's running so, no boinc in the summer :)

All of life is forged from Hell, Yet from its beauty our legacy began.
 My Boinc Stats

Spoiler

CPU : I7-4790K, MB : ASUS Maximus VII Hero, Ram : Vengeance Pro 32gb, GPU : Asus Strix GTX 1070, PSU : XFX 850w Black Edition

well, guess i need to start up my old boinc machines, winter is almost here, so once the temps cool down, ill turn the heat on, :)

my computer room gets to a toasty 30c in the summer with my pc's running so, no boinc in the summer :)

lol i know the feeling i cant close my room's window during summer nights when boinc is running 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

i live in a basement, with no windows in my computer room...

i have a low power computer as a router, plus a server (that also runs boinc), plus my main gaming PC, 3 monitors, old lighting that generated allot of heat also, it gets hot fast... 

during the night its been getting down to 25c, as soon as i turn on my pc, and my body heat, it gets to 28-30c in a few hours. cant wait for the house to start cooling down lol.

gonna replace my old GTX 295 in my server with a GTX 460, should produce less heat and a bit less power consumption too with more calculations for boinc.

really want to upgrade my current gaming rig to a new haswell i7 but running low on cash, currently running an old I5 750 oc'ed to 3.6ghz(was at 3.8 but the cpu/mobo is starting to show sign of damage from the oc, had to lower it)

My Boinc Stats

Spoiler

CPU : I7-4790K, MB : ASUS Maximus VII Hero, Ram : Vengeance Pro 32gb, GPU : Asus Strix GTX 1070, PSU : XFX 850w Black Edition

Hey Ive been joined for a little bit, still trying to find the tasks that i like and i was wondering if u guys know anyway to force one task to only use the CPU and another to only use the GPU? I know that the GPU tasks use a little bit of CPU but i don't want another 8 instances of the same task being done on my CPU. i think Ive worded this really badly so just message me if i have confused the hell out of you.

BTW my boinc ID is Framski, i think im 12th on the Linus leader boards at time of writing this. :D

Hey Ive been joined for a little bit, still trying to find the tasks that i like and i was wondering if u guys know anyway to force one task to only use the CPU and another to only use the GPU? I know that the GPU tasks use a little bit of CPU but i don't want another 8 instances of the same task being done on my CPU. i think Ive worded this really badly so just message me if i have confused the hell out of you.

BTW my boinc ID is Framski, i think im 12th on the Linus leader boards at time of writing this. :D

MVmJZUe.jpg

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

i am assuming you want something like Seti@home to use GPU and Rosetta to use CPU(this is what i have on my pc)? or something like that

to achieve that, you need to go on your account page for the project you want to use the CPU and GPU, then go to your @home preferences (under the preferences section where it says for example seti@home preferences)

once on that page under the Primary (default) preferences section you can force that project to only use the CPU and/or CPU for task's under the Use CPU and Use ATI/Nvidia GPU's. save your modifications, then either update manually the project in your boinc manager or let it self update and tada that project will only use either the CPU or GPU (or both)

keep in mind not all project carry both cpu and GPU tasks. so make sure to chek your project to see if it as both.

also dont worry about the 0.015% cpu use for GPU task you cant change that and you will still have all cpu threads for your other project, like for me, my GPU does only Seti@home and cpu do only rosseta

if your running multiple pc's you can use the other profiles to change what each pc does.

My Boinc Stats

Spoiler

when ar we getting the badges?

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

when ar we getting the badges?

When I run one of my updates... :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Yay ^_^

xcsjeb.jpg

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

well after cleaning my radiator my temps went down 20c lol, dam dust, had forgotten to clean the system the past 6 months ahaha

well i got both pc's running boinc, 2 GPU's on Seti, and then cpu's running Einstein and Rosetta!

My Boinc Stats

Spoiler

where is Liquidus for the badges? did not see him in a long time.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

where is Liquidus for the badges? did not see him in a long time.

Whaler handels folding and boinc teams badges.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

Hopefully some updates in the next evening or two....

my tablet died few months ago i just used my other dead tablets screen to revive it and use it as power efficient boinc farmer since i had a bit surprise with electricity bill this month 

it works terrible but it does

wOUHIg4.jpg

What is Bionic? Does it have to do with Bitcoins?

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

*boinc it has nothing to do with bitcoins.

Okay, I just started Folding@Home.

I installed it, and joined the team and everything. :)

But there are 2 folding slots in the interface showing and one is paused, the other is running. The paused one is 00 and the running is 01, is this working as intended or what?

EDIT: Nvm, it said: Paused:waiting for Idle.

I guess this means my GPU only works when the PC Is idling?

Okay, I just started Folding@Home.

I installed it, and joined the team and everything. :)

But there are 2 folding slots in the interface showing and one is paused, the other is running. The paused one is 00 and the running is 01, is this working as intended or what?

EDIT: Nvm, it said: Paused:waiting for Idle.

I guess this means my GPU only works when the PC Is idling?

Correct - set a screen saver to kick your system in "idle" or slider to Full...

The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC) is an open source middleware system for volunteer and grid computing. It was originally developed to support the SETI@home project before it became useful as a platform for other distributed applications in areas as diverse as mathematics, medicine, molecular biology, climatology, and astrophysics. The intent of BOINC is to make it possible for researchers to tap into the enormous processing power of personal computers around the world.

BOINC has been developed by a team based at the Space Sciences Laboratory (SSL) at the University of California, Berkeley led by David Anderson, who also leads SETI@home. As a high performance distributed computing platform, BOINC has about 596,224 active computers (hosts) worldwide processing on average 9.2 petaFLOPS as of March 2013.[2] BOINC is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) through awards SCI/0221529,[3] SCI/0438443[4] and SCI/0721124.[5]

The framework is supported by various operating systems, including Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Android[6], GNU/Linux and FreeBSD. BOINC is free software which is released under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Open_Infrastructure_for_Network_Computing

I've been trying to Boinc at night, during the day it is just too hot.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

• 2 weeks later...

might start Bound up again now that the temps have dipped below shorts wearing weather.

Ya, cooling off here as well.. even got <gasp> frost...