For Boinc Users - Tips, Tricks and FAQ - Updated Oct 2013

Hey guys, I'm here!  I am still on your team!!! Go LinusTechTips!  What is the website you use for stats and how is it different from this one: http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/team_display.php?teamid=2838

If you could post the website that you are talking about showing the 60 members, i'd appreciate it!  Thanks guys and keep crunching!

oh great, you gave him the site so now he's #2 instantly :P    keep up the work guys

meanwhile, I need to get my case cooling sorted out so I can run this during the summer.

Awesome.  thanks for joining

Hey Ryan.

Why is that you seem to disappear from the Boinc site then come back again?  The team loses the points that you generate and you go back to all 0's on your stats.

Do tell.

I don't know.  I didn't know that I was doing that...  If it is happening, it isn't happening on purpose.  I only run on project and that is Collatz Conjecture across 3 or 4 machines.  I have done over 2,000,000 points to date since I've joined the LinusTechTips_Team.  If you guys could help me figure that out, it would be much appreciated.  I love this community, and everyone has a great attitude and are all a great help.  Once again, Thanks guys!

Hey Ryan,  it's move like 22 million not 2 million, haha.

I'll look into it, hopefully we fix the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed that the Collatz Conjecture server has been down for what feels like weeks? That is the only project I run and am very disappointed in the server consistency...

Hey guys you can now use your phone and tablet devices for Boinc as long as its running Android 2.3 or higher spread the word. Go team!

Sent from my brain using my fingers!

(>'_')>

WOW, good news about the the phone and tablet.  I wonder how it would work.  If anyone try it do report it.

Hey Ryan,  I did notice that, try running  DistrRTgen .   this one give alot of points too.

Hey guys, Ryan here.

I have downloaded and thoroughly tested the BOINC for Android.  I am running the HTC DROID DNA (Jellybean) from Verizon Stock.

It currently supports six projects including World Community Grid, but most of the projects available are good ones.  The way this works is by taking your spare processing power, just like the PC version.  Even though it is the Android version, they didn't skimp on options!  

In the preferences tab, you can choose from the following options: (I will also say what I have found as the best settings)

General:
-Autostart: Autostarts the app when the setting criteria you have selected is met.  Also, autostarts when the phone is turned on. (Checked)

-Show notification when suspended: Unfortunately, when the app is running, it will put the BOINC logo in the notification bar whether you like it or not.  I you check this option, instead of the logo just going away, it will show the paused version of the BOINC logo in the notification bar.  (Unchecked, because I know that if it isn't there, it isn't running)

-Show advance preferences and controls...: Gives more "computing preferences". (Checked, definitely!)

Network:
-Transfer tasks on WiFi only: This saves 3G/4G data by only turning work in/getting work when connected to WiFi. (Unchecked, I still have verizon's unlimited data, but some projects can have 20-50MB projects)

-Daily transfer limit: Whether on 3G/4G or WiFi, you can set a transfer cap so you don't go over on data. Can be set from 0.0-8MB in increments of 0.1.(Set to 0.0MB)

Power:
-Compute on battery: With selected, BOINC will compute at full power when the phone is on battery, but will make it last only a few hours (Unchecked, phone only lasted 3 hours)

-Minimum battery level: This value will determine whether or whether not the tasks run below a certain battery level.  This is more for if you have "compute on battery" selected, but if you have an insufficient charger, it will take power quicker than the phone can charge and will drain the battery even plugged in. Can be set from 0-100% in increments of 10. (20%, this way if the charger can't provide enough power, BOINC will throttle and keep the phone from dying)

-Maximum battery temperature: In °C, this determines the temperature at which BOINC will throttle to keep the battery temperature down, or stable.  While I don't think that with any phone that is powerful enough to be of any use to BOINC, you would need to worry about this, but just keep it in mind.  Can be set from 0.0-8°C in increments of 0.1. (Set to 60.0°C, no throttling)

CPU:
-Used CPU cores: Limits the number of processor cores that are available to BOINC at any given time. Can be set from 1-8 cores in increments of 1. (Set to 4 of 4, and can still play Temple Run 2 with no lag)

-CPU limit: Limits the "CPU time" available to BOINC.  This determines how much of the cores you allotted to BOINC that it is allowed to use.  Can be set from 0-100% in increments of 10. (Set to 100%)

-Pause at CPU usage above: Determines when BOINC turns over processing power to other apps, due to their needing more CPU power. Can be set from 0-100% in increments of 10. (Set to 0%)

Storage:
-Maximum used storage space: What percentage of your phone's storage space do you want BOINC to be able to use. Can be set from 0-100% in increments of 10. (Set to 90%)

-Minimum spare storage: Even with the maximum used storage space set, this makes sure that there is at least a buffer between BOINC and all of your storage being full.  This is really only applicable when the "maximum used storage space" is set to 100%.  Can be set from 0-8GB in increments of 0.1. (Set to 0.1GB)

Memory:
-RAM limit: Limits the amount of RAM that BOINC tasks can occupy.  Can be set from 0-100% in increments of 10. (Set to 90%, keeps system responsiveness up)

Debug:
-BOINC Client log flags: Used to selectively turn on/off certain messages. (None selected)

-GUI log level: Specifies verbosity of GUI log messages.  Can be set from 0-5 in increments of 1. (Set to 2)

Projects available:
-OProject@Home: Mathematics, computing, and games
-Einstein@home: Astronomy, Physics, and Chemistry
-theSkyNet POGS: Astronomy, Physics, and Chemistry
-Asteroids@home: Astronomy, Physics, and Chemistry
-World Community Grid: Multiple applications
-YoYo@home: Multiple applications

Apparently you can add projects by URL, but I don't have confirmation whether or whether not this works with any project.

Roundup:  
-With all of the settings that are listed above, this will give you the best compute performance while still maintaining your device's function as a phone.

-There should be minimal lag, and tasks will be completed quite quickly.

-There are 6 projects to choose from as of now that will take full advantage of your device.

-(In the words of slick) "It is a very, very, very, very" well designed app.  It is very clean and easy to use, doesn't force close, and stays in the background as it should when it isn't open.

-You can close the BOINC window in the recent app manager of the HTC DROID DNA and it will remain open.

-World Community Grid project task FightAIDS@Home - Vina" took about 4 hours to complete utilizing 1 core (4 running at once).

-It is from BOINC so it is someone you trust, not a third party adapting the technology for Android.

Thanks guys for the news about this great app.  If you feel I have missed anything, please make a post and I will make an edit!

Great post @ryan9298b2

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Wow, awesome work Ryan.

Ok guys, Collatz Conjecture are having "www.linustechtips.com" problems, if you catch my drift.

Collatz Conjecture Server Message

A few hours later...

Collatz Conjecture Server Status

Does anyone know what is going on?

Hey Kazetana,  Welcome to the forum and to the Boinc team.

Ryan my man,  Have you tryed,            Talk live via Skype with a volunteer, in any of several languages. Go to BOINC Online Help.

Go to the help desk on your Bonic page.  We seem to get your point on the Project List page but still don't see you in the "Number of members"  when you click on the "74".

maybe get on skype with 1 of the pros.

Will do! Thanks, mate.

EDIT:  Is there phone support, I hate skype with a passion...

I see my name in that list! It makes me feel like I've achieved something. It's different to my forum name. I'm not doing boinc at the moment but that's because I'm repairing my computer, should be back up to full speed today!

Hey Ryan,

More info here.

It seems that Collatz Conjecture

has a problem in their coding that doesn't work with Bam! very well,  But I'm still looking into the problem.

I joined the team, though I had my GPU die this morning.

Rig is in Signature, minus the 7770. Any suggestions and tips for new users?

I'm running SETI@home and Collatz Conjecture on three computers right now.

Asus EEE 1015PX 1.6Ghz Atom N570 2Gb DDR3 Sherry for GMA3150

Asus G73Sw 2.0Ghz i7 2630QM 8Gb DDR3 Nvidia Geforce 460m

Desktop 4.0Ghz i5 3570k 8Gb DDR3 HD 4000 (used to be Radeon 7770)

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750