For Boinc Users - Tips, Tricks and FAQ - Updated Oct 2013

what i do, is when i want it to run, i just put it in run always, and when i game or dont want the cpu/gpu running i just set it to "run based on preferences" that way it will start up again if i go afk for more then 5 minutes or forget to turn it back on at night

Yeah, that's the thing, I don't need this gpu for anything, it's mainly for Boinc now. And it seems like when I pause the cpu with "Run based on preferences" it pauses the gpu too. I guess it's the 0.964 of a cpu it's using.

Oh well, gonna think of something else. Thanks for your help :)

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

Yeah, that's the thing, I don't need this gpu for anything, it's mainly for Boinc now. And it seems like when I pause the cpu with "Run based on preferences" it pauses the gpu too. I guess it's the 0.964 of a cpu it's using.

Oh well, gonna think of something else. Thanks for your help :)

there used to be a way (to have the GPU on 24/7 -> under activity set the gpu to always run, then go to tools -> computing preferences -> make sure the Use GPU while computer is in use is checked) but most project still wont force the GPU to be used because of the CPU portion that need to stop

for now i guess your suspending the project from the projects tab might be the easiest solution, ill keep en eye out for some other way.

All of life is forged from Hell, Yet from its beauty our legacy began.
 My Boinc Stats

Spoiler

CPU : I7-4790K, MB : ASUS Maximus VII Hero, Ram : Vengeance Pro 32gb, GPU : Asus Strix GTX 1070, PSU : XFX 850w Black Edition

Just one more question. The stat page boincstats.com doesn't update that often or did I mess things up again and my points aren't going the way they are meant to?

I have linustechtips_team in my boinc manager for both my projects, I got it on the stat site on my account too. Should be good right?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

takes time, if you just started, it can take a day or so for your first points to be registered and start showing up, after that, it should update once a day 

All of life is forged from Hell, Yet from its beauty our legacy began.
 My Boinc Stats

Spoiler

CPU : I7-4790K, MB : ASUS Maximus VII Hero, Ram : Vengeance Pro 32gb, GPU : Asus Strix GTX 1070, PSU : XFX 850w Black Edition

Just joined because my room was starting to get cold. Hope this helps. If it doesn't I'll continue for science!

Welcome!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Joined the team today, any plans on increasing the activity lvl on wcg? Like joining challenges for example

Got a few rigs crunching away these days, a FX-8350, i5 laptop and the i7-4770k in my daily gamer

• 2 weeks later...

I succeeded in getting my Nvidia card and my AMD card to get along, finally.

I can't explain a method except i restarted a lot, uninstalled drivers a lot, driver swept the old drivers away, and a lot of swearing and time wasted.

But it's marvelous.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

I succeeded in getting my Nvidia card and my AMD card to get along, finally.

I can't explain a method except i restarted a lot, uninstalled drivers a lot, driver swept the old drivers away, and a lot of swearing and time wasted.

But it's marvelous.

Good job... and that is what it normally take - a LOT of patience to get working...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Good job... and that is what it normally take - a LOT of patience to get working...

I ended up taking teh AMD card out .I was getting errors and decided running my PSU at 80% capacity wasn't worth it.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

This team accounts for about 3% of Canada's total RAC! This is amazing!

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/detail/b85bbff1c6df413a4b44cfb82854273f/

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

Please do BOINC. no matter how small a contribution it can make a difference. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I am new to BOINC and I can't seem to know how to join the team. I go into the My Account page, go to the "Teams" tab, search for the LinusTechTips team, click it but there is no link or button to click to join it.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

i'm a potato

Hello!

I am new to BOINC and I can't seem to know how to join the team. I go into the My Account page, go to the "Teams" tab, search for the LinusTechTips team, click it but there is no link or button to click to join it.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

which project are you searching on?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

which project are you searching on?

climateprediction.net

i'm a potato

I'm in. Just joined you guys.

The status just keeps saying deferred 00:05:00 and then counts down.

Nothing to see here - move along.

climateprediction.net

I believe you usually have to go to the project site, and from there join the team, so it knows to associate you...

I believe you usually have to go to the project site, and from there join the team, so it knows to associate you...

I reinstalled it and it worked.

i'm a potato

For those of you the is working with Collatz Conjecture,  there servers are down.

Try working with DistrRTgen for a while til Collatz is back.

I'm in. Just joined you guys.

The status just keeps saying deferred 00:05:00 and then counts down.

Hey Storm,

Is it Milkyway that is doing this to you.  try to reset the project.  Or remove it and go back into it.

One more important note.  I think that you have to set each of your projects to the LinusTechTips_Team, not just one.

You may not be adding all your point to the team if you set up only one project.

1    go to Projects tab and hilite one project at a time.

2    Click on Home page

3    Look for Create or Join a Team

4    Do the search for LinusTechTips_Team

5    And join team.

6    repeat on next projects.

Hey Storm,

Is it Milkyway that is doing this to you.  try to reset the project.  Or remove it and go back into it.

Got it all sorted thanks.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Since it's been winter here, I've been able to BOINC 24/7 for a few weeks now :)

I'm James on BOINC.

yeaaaaah.. No way am I going to catch up to that. lol. Your daily is like 2nd highest on the team.