Need a good pair of Headphones

MrPibbles

Hey guys,  I am looking for a good pair of headphones. Currently all I have is a pair of AKG 142 HD's and don't like them all that much. the cable is obnoxiously long, they produce O.K. sound but worst of all they are very uncomfortable. I am unsure if its the style of headphones they use or something else but they are just impossible for me to wear for longer than 15 minutes. I would prefer a headset with a more "normal" way of sitting on my head i guess. so heres the checklist:

• Optimal Budget: $150-200 Canadian
  • Aim - For music and gaming 
  • What style would you like? I like open headphones, but i am okay with using closed
  • Jack size/Connection Type - prefer 3.5mm for i have an adapter for 6.3mm jack
  • Audio taste/genres -  I like alot of rock, indie, alternative and dubstep, a good all rounder
  • Do you plan to use a sound card? I plan to get one but currently do not use one
  • Microphone required? no microphone is required.

The reason I am posting is because there are so many headphones i could get and would like to hear your guys' opinion on which ones are worth looking at. Thanks

Like aforementioned, the Sennheiser HD558s are excellent. Audio's fantastic for entry high-end heaphones and they're comfortable as shit. I would know, I have a pair, haha.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Dre Beats Studio

You will not find a better pair of headphones. Anyone that says they are awful is just trolling - just like people that hate on Apple products.

nothing says Yolo 420 swag like sporting a pair of beats around your neck and your pants saggin' off your ass

http://hashtagyolo420blazeitdropthebass.com/

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohms. They build quality of the Sennheiser's is really sub par in my opinion.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWoCaGHhOQo

no, man! it's official! They're SUPPOSED to be around your neck!

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

no, man! it's official! They're SUPPOSED to be around your neck!

Too much swag, I just can't handle it  :P

I can't find a picture of that episode of House M.D. where they were wearing hd515's with the headband over their eyes like that

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I've read excellent reviews for the Audio Technica ATH-AD 900X

I would say beyerdynamic dt770 as well, AWESOME build quality. Or some closed akg k271 mk2. Closed but the same soundstage as open.

I just got these Audio Technica ATH-M50 and they are amazing.

Got them off of a sale for 133 euros.

Agree with swifty7 if you can get the AD900X then go for it.

Headset

however the audio technica ad series like the ad900x is similar in design to the akg's. to me that design type is the most comfortable ones on the market.

OP what EXACTLY was uncomfortable about the akg? be very descriptive because I'm kind of shocked that that design is giving you pain.

however the audio technica ad series like the ad900x is similar in design to the akg's. to me that design type is the most comfortable ones on the market.

OP what EXACTLY was uncomfortable about the akg? be very descriptive because I'm kind of shocked that that design is giving you pain.

My guess is the pleater ear cups are uncomfortable.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I've read excellent reviews for the Audio Technica ATH-AD 900X

I have these and they're absolutely amazing

EDIT: the only thing i've had to do was use a hair tie on the wing support to make it have more resistance to fit my head, literally a 10 cent fix, and makes it fit perfectly :]

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I thought it was because they were on ear headphones at first but i tried a pair of over ear headphones with the same design and also didn't find it as comfortable... I believe it's the compression of them conforming to my head, I have a wide head so there definitely is pressure from the headphones conforming to it. I just seem to have found that the other type of headphones to exert less pressure conforming to my head. hope this give you an idea

is it more pain from pressure on the ear?

I have a pair of "over the ear" style but they are small and it's more like 1/2 on 1/2 off and after a while it gets very uncomfortable.

or is it more around your ear that it hurts?

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac