Mineral Oil PC Kit Giveaway

As I am about to move back to the US, and I am also buying a home, I would LOVE to be able to set up a Mineral Oil computer.  I have been watching the channel for almost a year (started right at Christmas season last year, as a matter of fact).  I would have to get a new Motherboard, but if I had the case, I would be more than willing to go through the steps of selecting a new system to fit this case.  I would be more than happy to find that I had won an mATX or m-ITX system.  

Thanks for all of the great giveaways. 

I'd prefer an matx version if I won because I have a motherboard and processor already for it and my friend would help me make one like he just made his.

Mini ITX would be awesome!  Puget Systems I hope this patent troll stops trollling us so we can all be able to build a mineral oil PC!

and @Barnacules is Waiting! LOL

Green Snek - Razer Blade 2017 - i7-7700HQ - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 512GB Samsung PM951 SSD- Dell WD15 Dock for Home Use- 27" Samsung Curved Monitor

Well working for two major technology companies for the past 20ish years I know all about patent trolls. Personally I have been wanting to do a mineral oil cooling system for about 15 years since I found out that it is non-conductive. Just at the time didn’t have the means. In fact before I just built my latest build I was thinking about mineral oil for cooling which everyone at work laughed at. Now due to y’alls videos I have proof of concept to prove them wrong about it. When talking about cooling PC’s at my current position which I have been at for 9 years which isn’t technically computer related everyone laughed about submersing a computer in mineral oil. That is people used to cellular instead of computer. Weird how the OSI model works the same in both. My previous company several of us looked at it although that is what you get working for a major computer manufacture you get the one set of guys that wants to push everything to the limit.

As far as kit any will work. I can go from the size of the kit for the MB and everything else from there. Although if I build a new box it is time for a new monitor or two or four. Got a nice spot I can fit three next to each other and two would fit nicely above those three. Only problem is to find the money for it.

I hate patent trolls. After seeing Linus' videos I wanted to go buy a kit from Puget. I was always interested since I became a PC builder to make one.

I would love to get one of their last kits because unless I can find another good kit I probably won't make one. I'm not good at making anything without a clear path to get there. I would like a MATX kit but won't mind getting a ITX kit. I just really want to make a mineral oil cooled machine.

I've been hooked on the idea of building mineral oiled computers since the day Linus uploaded the video of Slick's old rig he used on his résumé.

Not only oil cooled computers, but any other crazy idea that someone comes up with should never restrict their idea growing by the hands of others. By all means say you're first. Show abundant proof of the date your idea was created and you will surely be remembered fondly if it suddenly explodes in popularity thanks to advancements made by someone else. However hinder the growth and be shunned as the one who decided to slow the growth of innovation in our world.

I'm in the process of starting my own Computer IT Company. At the age of 22 it is my first step in my aspiration to help technology advance and help our world grow. The reaction I get from people discovering what computers are capable of, the glittering eyes of children when I open an arcade machine in front of them for repairs, rigging up technology to help elderly sustain a comfortable life without the need of their children to be there at all times, and so many more endless possibilities have my sights set higher than I may be able to achieve in my lifetime. But I'm sure as hell going to try my best.

To help inspire creativity I like to challenge the norm at any possible moment. Or simply expose the behind the scenes in an attractive manner. Sure some of it seems like a pointless expensive hassle, but it can also be something that another will look at and finally connect some dots in their head to create the next big thing. I will never forget the first moment I saw an arcade machine opened, worked at a factory and discovered firsthand the ingenuity behind mass production of a niche product, or walked into a small private computer IT store with gamers playing on rigs I didn't know could exist.

I'd like to fill my storefront with computers of all shapes and sizes, in configurations that don't make a bit of sense. What could be better than putting an oil cooled computer on display for people to question and gawk over. At minimum this would be the computer I use for business transactions, but if I make enough of a profit I'd like to fill it with gaming capable hardware and hook up an oculus rift for customers to try. I have not met a single person who has not been illuminated or at the least sent into deep thought by the idea of an oil cooled computer. While that topic doesn't come up often enough in typical conversation I could make it happen if one is there for them to see with their eyes.

Alas, there is a significantly steeper down payment involved in such a rig. No matter the enthusiasm I have, it’s difficult to justify the cost when I'm just getting my business up and rolling. But if I were to obtain the materials needed, at the bare minimum I'd transfer one of my existing computers into it as soon as possible until I could afford new components.

This would be awesome to build as a wedding gift for my buddy. <----- Ultimate wedding gift!

Good luck to all that enter!

Will want to get mATX V1 Kit

As an electronics hobbyist, this would be an awesome project and I'd love an MATX case. I think it's great that Puget were making these cases not out of the need for profit, but for the fun of it. It's sad to see patent issues ruin their ambitions. I really hope they can get back into the mineral oil pc business. 

I have been looking into building a puget systems oil based of for a couple of years but have not had the funds to get the equipment. I'm very upset the puget will not be making these anymore and thank Linus for giving us an opportunity to snag one.

Puget Systems....thank you for putting the time in to create the works of art. Look forward to seeing what crazy innovations you come up with next.

As far as which one. The microATX would be preferred, but can not complain with either option.

Good luck to all the participants!

This is terrible news. I was planning to check their site to see if they made an M ITX version to do an HTPC, and was going to save up for it. If I manage to win the system, I can make it work with my budget, and I'm hoping to use it as an HTPC that will also make a great conversation piece, plus, those don't have to be upgraded very often!

Fingers crossed for the win here!

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

Would love to do a Mineral Oil PC, been interested in it ever since I saw the one that Slick built. I was personally never able to justify the cost for me for it to be just be a fun project. If I were to win the case I would probably prefer the ITX version and make it into a HTPC to sit in my front room to show off to everyone!! 

Puget, I'm so sorry that some one is trolling you. For years I've shown your site to friends saying "HOLY CRAP LOOK AT THIS BAD ASS CASES" I'm very sorry that you guys were forced to close off your awesome Mineral Oil case production. While I've sadly never bought anything from you if I did it totally would have been one of these Mineral Oil cases. I hope that one day who ever holds the patent loses it and you guys can bring it back better and more bad ass than before.

Just in case if I win one, the Mini ITX would totally be my choice. Would build a mini ITX server that would run 24/7 with this as cooling it would be much easier than a traditional 1U or 2U chassis would be. Probably with one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157475 in it. ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX. Since this is passively cooled to being with it'd be super simple to drop in to this kind of setup and then it'd be all about bringing on the SSDs! Media center / file center style work. Would be super awesome. If not that then probably a lan box that would be super bad ass to show off.

Thanks again Puget for trying to show off cool and awesome ideas in the PC building world. Keep on kicking ass.

Before watching this video I had gone to Puget systems website inquiring about purchasing one of these kits for my up and coming build but was heartbroken to see the news </3 its nice to know that a few still remain for giveaway. If by any sheer chance I were to win one the micro atx version would be much appreciated. Best of luck in your future endeavors Puget Systems.

Terrible about those patent trolls. I'm so sorry Puget Custom Computers.

I was really inspired when I saw the video of Luke's mineral oil pc a couple months ago (my buddy showed me the video). I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. As an engineering student at a University, I was very intrigued by the whole concept. Cooling a computer by submerging it in liquid without just grenading it? Absolutely amazing. 

I decided to look up the kit, thought to myself maybe I could get on this? I wanted to build a computer recently anyways. When I got to Puget's website, I was stoked. The company that has this system is in the same state as me? Granted, across the state, I still thought it was pretty cool (I guess we've got a pretty sweet pc state here in Washington with companies like Puget and the obvious Microsoft). I started reading the timeline of mineral oil pc's on their page, astounded by it all. Then I got to the end, where these cases would be for sale. I was really disappointed that they wouldn't be selling any. Then I saw the video pop up on LinusTechTips, part 4, of the build which I obviously followed. 

Low and behold, you guys are giving away some cases! That's awesome! Still sad that you can't sell them but you're giving them away which is really great and shows you care about your customers enough to make sure they still get to use your products. I'd be honored to get any of the 4 cases.

Best of luck Puget Custom Computers, I'm sure you guys will continue to do great things. 

sucks that they cant sale them any more its the best oil build case i have seen 

logo_med.png

A few weeks ago we received some VERY sad news - due to a patent troll, our friends at Puget Systems have been forced to cease production and sales on their awesome series of mineral oil PC starter kits (you can read more about what happened here). This hits pretty close to home for our company, as Puget's mineral oil systems piqued Luke's interest a few years ago, which eventually led to him building his own mineral oil system.

First off, we would like to thank Puget Systems for providing this awesome service to the community. As they have mentioned quite a few times in the past, this was a passion project for them more than anything else, and we are sad to see it end this way.

But now that we have the sad news out of the way, there is a pretty sweet silver lining for the Linus Tech Tips community...

Since they cannot sell the kits that they currently have in stock, Puget Systems is GIVING AWAY four of their remaining mineral oil PC kits to four lucky members of this community. There are three Mini ITX kits and one MATX kit available.

Unfortunately, this giveaway is only open to residents of the Continental United States and Canada. We wish we could give everyone in the world the mineral oil PC hook-ups, but it isn't feasible to ship these kits internationally :(

How do I enter?
Leave a comment below to enter in the draw. One comment (entry) per user. I have a feeling that Puget will be checking this thread periodically, so feel free to leave some positive words for them - were you inspired by their awesome kits? Did they get you interested in mineral oil PCs? Are there any cool projects you would like to see them take on in the future?

Also, please mention (in your comment) which variation of kit you would prefer if you are chosen as one of the lucky winners. This will NOT have an impact on winner selection, but it will make it easier to assign a kit to each winner.

Entries close December 18 at 4pm PT, so be sure to leave you comment here before that time. The winner will be selected on December 19.

IMPORTANT NOTE
If you are lucky enough to win one of these kits, you MUST provide us with proof of purchase for mineral oil BEFORE the kit will be shipped to you. These are four of the last kits available from Puget, and they are only going to be given away to community members who are serious about building a mineral oil PC.

Thanks everyone, and good luck!

EDIT: I've seen some concerns in the thread about getting the mineral oil by December 19. There will be a grace period of one week for winners to provide us with proof of purchase. Just reply and let us know that you will be purchasing the oil when you can, and forward the proper paperwork when it is available.

Would love a mineral oil PC been super intrigued since I first heard about them. Got a custom AMD build of my own 8350 4.7 OC 280X in a Corsair Air 540 and I would love to submerge it but then no room for upgrades. But with this bad boy I think I'll be set for years to come and not have to possibly destroy my workshop attempting to build a mineral oil PC I will just have to pour with my handy funnel :-p 

Ive been daydreaming about a mineral oil system since the video where you showcased Lukes oil system was uploaded! I dont live in the states, but If I were to win I have friends in the states you could ship it to and they could take care of the rest of the shipping! This is really freaking cool!! Either MATX or Mini ITX would be awesome, but Mini ITX is preferred! 

Awesome product Puget, I love it!

Always wanted a mineral oil cooling system. I have everything ready for a mini-itx build, right now they are running on test bench.

im canadian btw  ^_^

Hey Puget, that's awful to hear what happend, patent trolls are the worst!

Hopefully everyone can come support you in a level headed way, the last thing you guys need is a negative image spread by fans becoming aggressive!

I would love to enter the competition, ive become really excited at the idea of building my own oil cooled machine after watching the build logs on LTT and some of the videos on the Puget channel!

If having a preference is OK i would love to request the MATX as id love to use this as my regular editing machine, although i would still be thrilled with an ITX system!

Thanks so much guys

best of luck with the patent issues, hopefully cooler heads will prevail and you will come out on top!

Been playing with the idea of a mineral oil PC for awhile now and I actually have builds in the pipeline for which this would be awesome. Any case is good. Godspeed Puget.