Microsoft announces Windows 10 event for January 21st

AlexGoesHigh

Wow you are one of them right, even if they pirate it that doesn't gives you the right to question why they think they have the right to complain about windows direction.

I do wonder how many users on LTT actually pay for Windows. In my personal opinion, I bet that a significant number do actually pirate it.

How I feel about the complaining though is this: You have the right to complain all you want. Microsoft (Or anyone else for that matter) doesn't have to listen though. I have no problem paying for an Operating System. It's such a huge, complex, and important part of computing, that expecting it to be free "because reasons" is absolutely ridiculous.

Apple makes it "Free" because it's being subsidized by hardware and mobile sales. Linux makes it free because they get funding and donations from the major corporations of the world, AND because they charge for support contracts.

Microsoft probably could afford to make Windows free for everyone, but I expect it would degrade the user experience, because they would have to use less resources and people to save on cost. I don't want Windows to become free, because I want it to be good, not some imitation of Linux. If you want Linux, then go use Linux.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I do wonder how many users on LTT actually pay for Windows. In my personal opinion, I bet that a significant number do actually pirate it.

How I feel about the complaining though is this: You have the right to complain all you want. Microsoft (Or anyone else for that matter) doesn't have to listen though. I have no problem paying for an Operating System. It's such a huge, complex, and important part of computing, that expecting it to be free "because reasons" is absolutely ridiculous.

Apple makes it "Free" because it's being subsidized by hardware and mobile sales. Linux makes it free because they get funding and donations from the major corporations of the world, AND because they charge for support contracts.

Microsoft probably could afford to make Windows free for everyone, but I expect it would degrade the user experience, because they would have to use less resources and people to save on cost. I don't want Windows to become free, because I want it to be good, not some imitation of Linux. If you want Linux, then go use Linux.

I don't know were you got this idea but no one on this thread said that windows should be free, people were just saying there opinion about windows 8 and stuff.. also she or he said:

"Most of you will just bootleg it anyway IDK why you think you have the right to complain about windows's direction."

which is stupid people have their opinions and if they want to state them or complain and criticize windows it's not your damn business, also she doesn't have the right  to question why they think they have the right to complain about windows direction, just because she or he is a customer. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I don't know were you got this idea but no one on this thread said that windows should be free, people were just saying there opinion about windows 8 and stuff.. also she or he said:

"Most of you will just bootleg it anyway IDK why you think you have the right to complain about windows's direction."

which is stupid people have their opinions and if they want to state them or complain and criticize windows it's not your damn business, also she doesn't have the right  to question why they think they have the right to complain about windows direction, just because she or he is a customer. 

I did not say that anyone in this thread said it should be free. I was simply commenting on what @Random Access Soda and you said. I do believe that a significant number of LTT users pirate Windows.

Aside from that, @Random Access Soda has every right to complain about complainers complaining (lol). Just like you have the right to complain about him/her complaining about people complaining.

"She" (I'm not sure what gender @Random Access Soda is since it doesn't say in the profile, but I'll just go with it, since you've all but assumed she is female) has the right to question whatever she damn wants. That's freedom of speech for you, baby. You also have the right to disagree with her, or tell her to shove her opinion up where the sun doesn't shine (Although technically that'd be against CoC since it would be an insult/personal attack :P but I digress).

You're more than welcome to call her out for being on a "high horse" of moral high ground. But that doesn't mean she has to stop saying what she is saying.

I do think it was a rather large leap to assume most would pirate it, though.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I did not say that anyone in this thread said it should be free. I was simply commenting on what @Random Access Soda and you said. I do believe that a significant number of LTT users pirate Windows.

Aside from that, @Random Access Soda has every right to complain about complainers complaining (lol). Just like you have the right to complain about him/her complaining about people complaining.

"She" (I'm not sure what gender @Random Access Soda is since it doesn't say in the profile, but I'll just go with it, since you've all but assumed she is female) has the right to question whatever she damn wants. That's freedom of speech for you, baby. You also have the right to disagree with her, or tell her to shove her opinion up where the sun doesn't shine (Although technically that'd be against CoC since it would be an insult/personal attack :P but I digress).

You're more than welcome to call her out for being on a "high horse" of moral high ground. But that doesn't mean she has to stop saying what she is saying.

I do think it was a rather large leap to assume most would pirate it, though.

That what makes me mad, the way she talks makes me think the she thinks she's better than other on a high horse like you said, she thinks she has the right because she is a "coustmer", a lot of people may pirate complain but they may have their reasons Like if a hard drive fail or you switch hardware a lot you wouldn't want to talk to MS support everytime with that saying that a lot of people do pirate there is a lot of them, if I have the right for free speech so does others and when she complains about complaining I'm free to complain about her compilaning about other people compilation, but she was asking what gives them the right and I think you just answered her, but the fucking way she talks make me want to punch her in the face *feminist don't kill me* .

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I bet that linux will take over consumer, they already own server.

ha nope

tha depnds on what they show in here, this event is to bring consummer interest, depending on how that goes 10 could be much more that a simple shell above 8, also the few things technical bringed are really good they just need more polish, like every beta needs

i will buy 10, skin or no skin. i like the way its going and i like parts of 8, so its fine by me.  

Most of you will just bootleg it anyway IDK why you think you have the right to complain about windows's direction.

again with the baseless sweeping statements. my vista, 7 and 8 were all legit my osx will be legit. and freedom of speech, theres that too

seriously chill out or you will end up banned or blocked by everyone 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Hmmmmmmmmmm, this is wayyyyy too early for a Win10 release as far as I am concerned.

I really hope they won't be releasing a new Surface Pro though, I don't want my current gen 3 to feel outdated....

but for this to be a consumer preview also seems weird to make such a fuss about it.

Hopefully it's largely identical, with just a new broadwell CPU and hopefully cheaper prices.

As well as 8gb ram as a baseline. Seriously, that needs to happen.

Because I bet most of them, pirate it.

Most windows keys are legit. Especially when it's available for like 20 bucks

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Hopefully it's largely identical, with just a new broadwell CPU and hopefully cheaper prices.

As well as 8gb ram as a baseline. Seriously, that needs to happen.

Most windows keys are legit. Especially when it's available for like 20 bucks

G2A is resale of MSDN education keys. It's not legit. MS gets no money, and I think that's against the MSDN agreement.

Google Maps my location! 4th house from the corner on the left!

G2A is resale of MSDN education keys. It's not legit. MS gets no money, and I think that's against the MSDN agreement.

How did you find that out ? I'm serious.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

To those using windows 8/8.1, I heard that windows 10 will be free to them

It's a rumor that a lot of us hope to be true.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

It's pretty common knowledge.

And? They're not bootleg keys. They're legit keys. So i'm not right, but you're still wrong

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I've heard that a lot (including here). No official source, but some users complain that had some problems phone activating that MS reps told them there were MSDN keys. Either way, you ARE getting an activated copy of windows, but it may not technically be legal./

Google Maps my location! 4th house from the corner on the left!

To those using windows 8/8.1, I heard that windows 10 will be free to them

Dude I hope. I just built my Win8.1 machine and I don't feel like paying for another expensive license.

Git Gud.

Dude I hope. I just built my Win8.1 machine and I don't feel like paying for another expensive license.

I feel you bro

t0eZTpd.png 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I feel you bro

I mean, I could get this one for less since I could get the upgrade/student discounted versions (academic institution email OP). I don't need to use them to do a clean install this time.

Git Gud.

I mean, I could get this one for less since I could get the upgrade/student discounted versions (academic institution email OP). I don't need to use them to do a clean install this time.

I guess that is better than paying for the whole price.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I guess that is better than paying for the whole price.

I could always just get it from sketchy places. I just don't have the balls to do it :P

Git Gud.

I could always just get it from sketchy places. I just don't have the balls to do it :P

You mean G2A or on the streets ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

@AlexGoesHigh

You can add this into your OP if you want. It's the email from Microsoft to it's windows insiders telling them a bit more about the event.

fHBbaXE.png

Uwa1bwl.png

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

lel Linux

Until that OS does something more with itself than being niche with no mainstream programs (we're talking Adobe and other products that's Windows/MAC only) and actually unified, it's always going to be a tiny market share. This isn't factoring games since as far as I'm concerned, one can get by with Nintendo or Sony for their gaming needs. 

Linux will always be a small market share so long as they have countless distros that confuse non techies that all lack the same experience from one another vs a standard Windows or OS X environment. I find Mint to be more user friendly than Ubuntu, but Ubuntu always gets recommended as the distro of choice much in the way people only know how to recommend 840 Evos and Audio Technica M50's.

Pssst. my invoice on Newegg from 2011 still shows a legit copy of Windows 7, get rekt with the negative "you're all going to pirate it anyway"