[Softpedia]Microsoft, Google, Others Threaten to Sue Adblock Plus Creator

WolfDeville

Youtube video ads eat a lot of data if you don't use adblock.

So that 500Kb 15sec ad you can't skip must really chew through your data.  I don't think it's the ads that are causing you to run out of data every month, it might be all the downloading and youtube videos themselves, though.

Even if you had to sit through an ad that went for one minute you'd still only use about 2Meg of data,  if you say you run out 2-3 weeks before then end of  your allowance (which is monthly) then the only way that could be possible is if you only watched the ads and the occasional 1 minute video.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yeah my analogy wasn't that good either. =/

It's kind of a stretch to even say AdBlock is modifying the website. It simply makes it so that your browser doesn't fetch elements that's on a black list. It's not like I "modify" my mail if I don't pick up the junk mail from my mailbox.

What exactly are they suing AdBlock Plus for? I can't really see what law AdBlock Plus might be breaking.

I'm not saying adblock does that, I'm just saying a 3rd party program that did would be about the only way they would have a legal case. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So that 500Kb 15sec ad you can't skip must really chew through your data.  I don't think it's the ads that are causing you to run out of data every month, it might be all the downloading and youtube videos themselves, though.

Even if you had to sit through an ad that went for one minute you'd still only use about 2Meg of data,  if you say you run out 2-3 weeks before then end of  your allowance (which is monthly) then the only way that could be possible is if you only watched the ads and the occasional 1 minute video.

If you watch lots of youtube videos see lots of ads, more if you include things like Linus' sponsor slots. It does add up to a lot over time. Add to that long intro slots on many videos  and other ads virtually every other website; ad you end up with a considerable portion of monthly bandwidth wasted.

If you look at the latest Linus video, Corsair's sabre mouse, you have over 2 minutes of the actual video taken up with the introduction and ads at the start and end; this is excluding the actual youtube ad. That's over a quarter of the video 'wasted'. Over a whole month that eats a significant proportion of my expensive bandwith; all for adverts primarily targeting people who live on the other side of the world.

If you watch lots of youtube videos see lots of ads, more if you include things like Linus' sponsor slots. It does add up to a lot over time. Add to that long intro slots on many videos  and other ads virtually every other website; ad you end up with a considerable portion of monthly bandwidth wasted.

If you look at the latest Linus video, Corsair's sabre mouse, you have over 2 minutes of the actual video taken up with the introduction and ads at the start and end; this is excluding the actual youtube ad. That's over a quarter of the video 'wasted'. Over a whole month that eats a significant proportion of my expensive bandwith; all for adverts primarily targeting people who live on the other side of the world.

Bah, now your complaining about the content being the main problem,  you can skip that bit you know?

For every 20 Meg video (about 10min) you have a 500Kb ad,  your rational that 500Kb is causing you to run out of data is BS, You'd have to watch 2000 videos to rack up 1G of data from the unskipable ad. 

Bah, now your complaining about the content being the main problem,  you can skip that bit you know?

For every 20 Meg video (about 10min) you have a 500Kb ad,  your rational that 500Kb is causing you to run out of data is BS, You'd have to watch 2000 videos to rack up 1G of data from the unskipable ad. 

Unknown length of many of those segments makes it harder to judge where to skip to.

My point is ads are ubiquitous throughout the internet,  often hard to avoid, crowd out content and can be expensive for the receiver.

Trying to ban adblock reminds me of the controversy of ad skipping VCRs back in the mid 80s.

I use AdBlock pretty much everywhere but on this forum and youtube mainly because I hate intrusive adds(that play sounds) and it also makes viewing facebook a lot more tolerable.  I don't really go to a bunch of ad supported sites though so meh. 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Good for them. He allows users to practically pirate google products. If you don't watch the ads, then you didn't pay.

People use ad block because not only are ads one of the main causes of viruses but tons of sites are barely usable with pop ups and redirections not to mention auto play videos that are unacceptable for people that have data caps.

If they would do it right like here on the forum with small banners on the side nobody would need to use ad block.

And if I want to watch a movie trailer on Youtube which is already an ad in itself I shouldn't get even more ads on top of that.

RTX2070OC 

if there was some kind of damn advertising standard where websites promised to not have auto playing ads, pop ups, anything that makes any kind of fcking noise or uses flash. then id be fine with them blocking ad block users. but there's not so they can fck off

Well then, stop giving me useless pop up adds then

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

About time lol ive lived without ad block before so i could do it again. Id much rather have ads then pay money out of my pocket. I dont understand why google leaves it in there extension store tho. Lol