What are you guys' opinions on used games?

Jerry Wu

Hey guys, recently this used game topic has gotten lots of attention. As of right now, used games are only relevant to the console platforms. The famous youtuber Totalbiscuit at his video, "The Devil's Halibut Used Game", spoke against used game. Linus, at his latest livestream, was not in favor of used games. It seems like the main argument against used games is that the game retailers push used game sales where they gain 100% of the profit. Meanwhile, when new game are sold, the game retailers only gain 20%. The problem with used games is that they directly compete with new games and offer the same content while do not benefit the game publishers. An IGN video quoting Take Two's CEO says, the game publishers desperately try to  convince gamers to keep their games for three weeks with DLC, after that they don't care. 

There are vast amount of information on the topic and I don't want this post to be too long. What I deduce is that the game publishers are not fully against used game. While they prefer to kill off used games, that is not going to happen any time soon. The critical period of time is a few weeks right after launch when the games are hot and at full retail price. After that the new games will depreciate, the sales will decrease and used games wouldn't be such a threat to the game publishers. What do you guys think? I am really eager to know. Thanks. 

I never buy used games. Just a little quirk of mine. I buy off steam and if I buy a console game I always buy new. Even though used games are fine I still have an aversion to it for some reason. I've never bought anything used in general before.

Rentals are fine but in a place where the devs don't make money from a used game sale, it's not right.

Actually, Linus is okay w/ used games. Check out his live stream at around 51:48. I do agree w/ the used-game policy. What I don't agree w/ are the single player mode requires you also to be online, the 24-hour check up routine and the region lock.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

I don't really care for them. I don't mind having games tied to an account, as long as they aren't over 50 euros

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

I don't buy used games. They're never really that much cheaper. And if the game is good enough, I'd rather support the developers anyways. Almost every game I have, I pre-ordered as soon as it was announced and bought day 1 on launch.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

personally on pc

i never ever bought a used game

because at the time i find used pc games

steam etc already has the same game for half off

but on consoles its very important

because they still live in the dark ages

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I've long been an advocate of Steam's system:

No used games.

No serious DRM.

Cheap prices at launch or frequent blowout sales.

Steam does kind of allow game-trading through giftable codes.

$60 price-tag is currently too high. That's probably why used games even exist due to their resale capability. As for game sharing, or playing on a console, I think that can be done through the console in many ways. The family sharing option on the Xbox One is a good starting point. It'll need some refinement, obviously.

The one thing that always baffles me: People absolutely loathe Gamestop in the US, yet they demand the one thing that's keeping them in business: the ability to resell games back to the retailer.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

The big problem I see with current gen console game's (as a xbox 360 owner), many of the AAA titles comes with special DLC content that you get codes for extra stuff for in game (new maps, weapons, avatar outfits and so on), so when you buy the special edition of the game with these in it cool, but when its 2nd hand you don't get the codes so you need to buy them from the games marketplace that end up costing more then buying the game new.

That's why I don't buy 2nd hand games and buy new for consoles.  

Cry Havoc!