[Talk About It] First Build Surprises [Share Yours]

JLCitadel

Upon finally taking the dive and purchasing all the components for my first computer build, there were several moments which came as a shock to me, and made me question my knowledge and step back to say, 'hey am I doing this right'?

RAM, it always looked like it went in so easy, actually took a lot of force.

HeatSink (using stock till fans arrive then my CH100i) went in SO easily, like a gentle tap.

Screws, so many screws, made me go wonkers.

Flashing a bios makes your heart skip a beat.

Afterwards when you stand back, wipe the beads of sweat and blood from your face, and see that windows loading screen pop up, there's nothing more satisfying, even sex. Couldn't have picked a better hobby.

So share with me, and the rest of the forum, about your personal experiences, what made you panic and question yourself the first time you built your pc?

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thermal paste isnt hard to put on

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Nothing really bugged me. The RAM bent the board a bit. But that's it. 

I used to be like "Oh better get the antistatic strap and use 99% H2O2"

Now I just take it apart whereever. And then use 72% H2O2

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

thermal paste isnt hard to put on

What were you expecting?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What were you expecting?

well from my dads experience it's supposed to be the absolute hardest thing to do so yea

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

not first build per say, but my last one recently. completely forgot stand offs come with the case. whelp, bought new parts for a case from 2003. needless to say i didnt have stand offs.

the computer repair store in town just gave me a baggy of them for free though so:D

Didn't expect my parts to fail.

Desktop: i7-4790k, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, 2xR9 290 Vapor-X's (1 working atm), Asus Z97-Pro, NZXT H440 White, 16GB G. Skill Sniper RAM, NZXT HALE V90 850W.

Laptop: Samsung Chromebook 11.6" 

Phone: 8GB Galaxy S4

Didn't expect my parts to fail.

So far none have been using mine for about 2 days now. (Crosses fingers knocks on wood)

The fact that my Pentium still stays nice and cool even though I took the heatsink off and put it back on without reapplying thermal paste.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So far none have been using mine for about 2 days now. (Crosses fingers knocks on wood)

Pcie slots weren't working for mine sadly

Desktop: i7-4790k, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, 2xR9 290 Vapor-X's (1 working atm), Asus Z97-Pro, NZXT H440 White, 16GB G. Skill Sniper RAM, NZXT HALE V90 850W.

Laptop: Samsung Chromebook 11.6" 

Phone: 8GB Galaxy S4

My power switch was broken and it wouldn't power up even though I had built it perfectly.

Some tense moments.

System: Thinkpad T460

I changed my cooler and when i booted i heard this PRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTT i freaked out and turned it off again, my heart felt like i had been running for 2 hours, then i saw a cable touching the fans, moved it, turned it on and no weird sound came out. I felt so good.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

My first build I mostly was just a helper to my brother, so I'm not going to count that.

My second build my cousin and I both built identical computers at the same time at my place (it was his first build as well). We had EVGA 680i motherboards and plugged in the 24pin power but it wasn't booting up. We then noticed there was also an 8pin power connector, but our PSU didn't have anything that would connect into it. We had some kind of adapter that looked like it would plug into an 8pin, but the shapes didn't match up. Ended up calling a friend over. He looked at us like we were idiots and plugged 2 4pin power cords into that area. mfw...

I changed my cooler and when i booted i heard this PRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTT i freaked out and turned it off again, my heart felt like i had been running for 2 hours, then i saw a cable touching the fans, moved it, turned it on and no weird sound came out. I felt so good.

OMG dude that happened to me too! Mine made a nasty loud sound. Sounded like my rig was gonna explode!

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k l Mobo: msi z97 pcmate l GPU: MSI Gtx 970 4gb OC l PSU: CM V550 l RAM: RipJaws 8gb l Case: NZXT H440 l Cooling: CM Hyper 212x l Storage: Crucial mx100 128gb ssd l OS: Windows 7 l Keyboard: CM storm quickfire ultimate(Blue) l Mouse: Razor Mamba l Display: Some shitty samsung monitor

Yeah it was horrible, also was the 1st time i changed the cooler, i was very nervous about it.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

My first (And only) build went very well, except for bad cable management that I later fixed and the mishap I'm going to go into more detail about now.  I had already gotten all my hardware tested and in the case, and I was plugging in all of the cables for the front I/O. Everything went well, but soon after I noticed the USB 3.0 connector was sticking out of the motherboard. I took the cable out and proceeded to do the worst thing I could have done, jammed the cable back in as hard as possible. Once again it didn't fit. I continued to jam the cable in as hard as I could until one of my few brain cells fired up and I decided to check the port. One of the pins was bent completely flat against the bottom of the port, but It was still connected. I tried to straighten it up, and maybe it would work. It didn't. The pin snapped off, and now one of the USB ports on my $1000+ computer doesn't work.  

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

The creaking from the cpu retention arm freaked me out so bad that i had to step away for a while

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I tried to build a pentium 4 system with a PGA processor. and I trashed the processor by jamming it in there and hitting it in ther with a hammer.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

same thing pretty much exactly 2 hours also lol

When installing my GT610, i didn't expect it to be loud. It was. It was a total sound WHORE. It might as well have set off the loudest graphics card record ever.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I was building my pc and everything went off without a hitch when I first powered on, but there was a huge drawback, the psu connected fan manager didn't turn off the fans like the ones connected to my mobo. I eventually got a splitter and now I'm happy with a silent pc.

That first time though I had no idea I would be needing a fan splitter to get quiet.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

I unfortunately experienced one of the worst feelings in the hobby: figuring out that your part is not comaptible/will not work in the system. In this case, it was my Video Card, which was just a little too large for the case. I would not accept incompatibility, so I ended up bending the metal of the case just to get it to fit.

Works like a charm :D

._.

AMD A8-5500•••ASUS GTX 660•••MSI MS-7778 Mobo•••2x4GB DDR3 RAM•••CoolerMaster v550 Semi-Modular PSU•••1.5TB HDD•256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD•••Optical Drive•••Phanteks Enthoo Pro

wipe the beads of sweat and blood from your face

Did you build a PC or kill somebody O.o:D

Headers had to read the MOBO manual :/ I was building a PC for a friend and the headers on the MOBO wasn't really marked.

Also 24-pin sucker didn't want to go to the MOBO, it hurts to see the MOBO bent even if it's only a little bit. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

how easy the cpu was to put in and how confusing the headers were

^ Same, the headers weren't that bad, but with very tight spaces, they're quite annoying.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.