Hackers send e-mail to Sony employees threatening their families

ObscureMammal

Source: http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/12/hackers-send-e-mail-to-sony-employees-threatening-their-families/

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/hackers-threaten-sony-employees-in-new-email-your-family-will-be-in-danger-1201372230/

On Friday Sony Pictures Entertainment employees received an e-mail from the hackers threatening their families, according to an insider at Sony, employees were told to turn off their phones after receiving the message.

"We understand that some of our employees have received an email claiming to be from GOP,"  a Sony spokesman said in a statement, “We are aware of the situation and are working with law enforcement”

The FBI released a statement following Friday’s email: 

The FBI is aware of threatening emails that have been received by some employees at Sony Pictures Entertainment, We continue to investigate this matter in order to identify the person or group responsible for the recent attack on the Sony Pictures network. Recent events underscore the persistence and maliciousness of harmful cyber criminals, and the FBI will continue to identify and apprehend those who pose a threat in cyberspace.

The e-mail sent by hackers:

I am the head of GOP who made you worry.

Removing Sony Pictures on earth is a very tiny work for our group which is a worldwide organization. And what we have done so far is only a small part of our further plan.It’s your false if you if you think this crisis will be over after some time. All hope will leave you and Sony Pictures will collapse. This situation is only due to Sony Pictures. Sony Pictures is responsible for whatever the result is. Sony Pictues clings to what is good to nobody from the beginning. It’s silly to expect in Sony Pictures to take off us. Sony Pictures makes only useless efforts. One beside you can be our member.

Many things beyond imagination will happen at many places of the world. Our agents find themselves act in necessary places. Please sign your name to object the false of the company at the email address below if you don’t want to suffer damage. If you don’t, not only you but your family will be in danger.

Nobody can prevent us, but the only way is to follow our demand. If you want to prevent us, make your company behave wisely.

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

Wow kinda sounds like terrorists.  ISIS?

To bad the US government will do nothing but keep on spying on its citizens and not trying to defend them from stuff like this..It really is a shame. 

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

So what did sony do that has this group up in arms?

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

The e-mail sent by hackers:

Sounds like a 13 year old wrote it, no offence but it doesn't sound like GOP sent this...especially since GOP = Guardians Of Peace and "danger to families" isn't peaceful.

Also the files contained a list of sony emails, anybody who downloaded it could've sent emails claiming to be GOP.

Edit: not you, the email sent by the hackers...

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Wow kinda sounds like terrorists.  ISIS?

To bad the US government will do nothing but keep on spying on its citizens and not trying to defend them from stuff like this..It really is a shame.

My thoughts exactley

Steve

This is just bullshit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Wow kinda sounds like terrorists. ISIS?

I'm glad this turned into a needless conspiracy thread.

If the NSA is smart, now is the time they set an example and prove their shit works.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Sounds like a 13 year old wrote it, no offence but it doesn't sound like GOP sent this...especially since GOP = Guardians Of Peace and "danger to families" isn't peaceful.

Also the files contained a list of sony emails, anybody who downloaded it could've sent emails claiming to be GOP.

Yeah it sounds unlikely that it was GOP that sent that out. Also, how come we still don't know their demands!? That should have been the first thing published.

I highly doubt these people are a threat when my 13 year old sister can speak English better than them.

I highly doubt these people are a threat when my 13 year old sister can speak English better than them.

It was probably translated from the original language.

i could be wrong.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Wow. To say this is a conspiracy is being very blind to facts. (The isis thing was a joke)

And the NSA doing nothing but spying on its own people is a true fact.

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

I agree the threats are not "peaceful", but the initial hack and release of the information isn't exactly a peaceful act either.

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

The hackers are a bunch of North Koreans who can't speak shit. If the story is true that they stole 100TB of data from Sony. This shit is far from over.

It's holiday season and this sounds like  some rival studio might be involved...i mean why sony? Funny how corporate media tries to spin this and blame north korea...

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

But it didn't, that was one post out of the many others related to the topic.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

this is a way to destabilize internally and fracture the moral. someone is trying to tear sony apart they are doing a good job at doing this themselves thought with a loss in the billions

But it didn't, that was one post out of the many others related to the topic.

It was also just an opinion. And a statement of someones views.

So many butt hurt liberals. 

I am sure I will get hate now but that kinda proves my point.

this is a way to destabilize internally and fracture the moral. someone is trying to tear sony apart they are doing a good job at doing this themselves thought with a loss in the billions

It's a faster way to have every major police agency in the world kicking in your door with helicopters and not asking questions before they shoot.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Sure, cause no non native English speaking person ever harmed another person.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Sure, cause no non native English speaking person ever harmed another person.

Considering the fact they need to figure out where these families live, no, I don't think so. Not while being so deficient in English.

If the NSA is smart, now is the time they set an example and prove their shit works.

But it doesn't work also Sony isn't an american based company so I don't think they should even try to do a damn thing about it or once again America just comes off as trying to police the world.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |