My mum's office computer

Dim

My mum just bought out a real estate business and now needs a new computer (inc. peripherals) for the office. She won't be using it herself, since she handles everything from home, but in general at least one real estate agent will be using this at a time (front desk computer).

Here are the components I've picked out for her--she wants very fast performance (although obviously not necessarily for gaming)--I'm very open to any suggestions you might have in terms of cutting back the price of it. Unfortunately since I live in Australia, we're somewhat limited by our components. I will be using www.pccasegear.com as my vendor.

You can see the wish list here, though it is also written below: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ion=wish_lists

BUDGET: 1630 (not inc. shipping) -- CHEAPER IS BETTER, though performance is a necessity.

Case: Cooler Master Silencio 550 :: $89

CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 :: $189

CPU Cooler: Stock Ivy Cooler :: With CPU

Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme, 1TB Seagate Barracuda :: $199 and $75, respectively

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz :: $55

Motherboard: ASRock H77-PRO4-MVP Motherboard :: $95

Disk Drive: Samsung SH-224BB :: $19

Power Supply: OCZ Fatal1ty Series 550W Modular :: $75

Media Card Reader: ICY BOX 5.25" Multiport Panel with Card Reader :: $39

[[Accessories and Software]]

Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM :: $95

Office: Microsoft Office Home and Business PKC :: $209

Speakers: Logitech LS11 2.0 Stereo Speaker :: $12 (these aren't important, rare use, just need to look good on the desk)

Network Adapter: Patriot Wireless N LAN USB Adapter 150Mbps :: $19

Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Gaming Mouse Pad :: $12

Monitors: 2x Acer S220HQL, 21.5" LED Monitors (TN panels) :: $248

Mouse: Gigabyte M6900 Optical Gaming Mouse :: $25

Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm Trigger Cherry Blues

[[CONTROVERSIAL CHOICES]]

The keyboard choice was made by my mother, she wants that keyboard because she loves it. She would prefer a cheaper one without all the frills (such as LED backlighting, macro keys, etc.) but she NEEDS the wrist rest for ergonomics. I would switch out for the Steelseries 7G, but that's unfortunately a fair amount more expensive. We aren't entirely sure on the key switches yet, for an office environment.

I wanted the PSU to be modular and I wanted it to be quiet. Really, that setup draws less than 300W of power. I am aware of this, please don't mention it, again I'm limited by what options I have. After seeing reviews on other PSUs below the $75 mark, I've noticed that they are either noticeably loud (case doesn't need to be dead silent, but reasonable silence is great) or they are not modular/have short cables. If you find anything modular and quiet below this pricetag, be my guest.

A lot of people dislike ASRock boards. Similarly, I dislike mATX boards. That is a pet peeve for me; this is the cheapest board with the capabilities needed (such as USB 3.0) that is not ugly and not an mATX board.

In fact it's just the cheapest non-mATX board.

240GB of SSD storage is a necessity because of the amount of programs they need to run. I was considering 120GB instead, but waiting on shipping is a non-option, the parts must be in stock.

If you have any better ideas for mice (or mouses, depending on your geographical location...) let me know. This was something I picked primarily for the looks.

If you have any suggestions on a different / cheaper media card reader, let me know.

I own the monitors listed and they are phenomenal. They are also the cheapest at that price range so I really don't want differing recommendations.

Because of taxing schemes for businesses, it is much easier to do this through a single website.

Get a decent backup solution, maybe even one in a different building.

Why do you care if the mainboard is ugly or if the PSU is modular? No one will ever see the board or the cables and the Silencio 550 has enough room to store the useless cables.

to know the face of Dodge is to know madness

Take a look at what I’ve been watching…

Get a decent backup solution' date=' maybe even one in a different building. Why do you care if the mainboard is ugly or if the PSU is modular? No one will ever see the board or the cables and the Silencio 550 has enough room to store the useless cables.[/quote']

For backup, it isn't stuff that needs ridiculous protection. Mainly just document and contract backup. All documents would be backed up in an external drive, as well as the 1TB internal drive. Super important stuff will go on a third external drive and in email.

Really, I only care about the modularity of the PSU and the size of the motherboard for personal satisfaction. Cable management matters to OCD people like me, even if you can't see the cables rofl.

Are you able to get the Corsair CX500M? Corsair make great PSU's and all mine are very quiet...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Are you able to get the Corsair CX500M? Corsair make great PSU's and all mine are very quiet...

I can get: Corsair CX-430 V3, Corsair CX-430 Modular 80+ Bronze, and the Corsair CX-500 V3

The pricing on the 430 modular is the same as the OCZ Fatal1ty one :(

Any reason for the decision to get the i5?

It's only going to be used for stuff like browsing/office/RealWorks, etc. so it doesn't need hyper-threading. But my mum also wants something that will give her the fastest speeds, which is pretty much hands down the 3470 for general computing use afaik.

Really.. Just get any dual core+SSD. It will be very fast. 400W PSU max. :P 400W will still allow you to add a video card if you ever steal the system for Sunday gaming.

Really.. Just get any dual core+SSD. It will be very fast. 400W PSU max. :P 400W will still allow you to add a video card if you ever steal the system for Sunday gaming.

I'll try and get the cheapest I can, though we're very limited, especially with PSUs.

I might consider a lower-end processor, though.

Hmm.. Can you get Pentium G860's? They seem really good for basic computing. Like what is the most demanding application a real estate agent's front desk lady will ever run?

Hmm.. Can you get Pentium G860's? They seem really good for basic computing. Like what is the most demanding application a real estate agent's front desk lady will ever run?

Probably MYOB, RealWorks, maaaybe Fireworks for specific photos of houses.

At this stage, there's going to be several people working the computer at once, so it may have to deal with switched users as well--my mum never even goes in the office, but because it's the front desk computer, someone has to be manning it constantly so they all will have a user each (there's like 8-10 agents, I think)

The quote my mum got from Dell was at $1700 with an i5 3470, so I picked that to make my build of a similar performance level--I could downgrade to a G550 (the store doesn't sell G860s), but I'll probably end up looking at something more like an i3 3220.

Cheers, Wats!

At this stage, there's going to be several people working the computer at once, so it may have to deal with switched users as well--my mum never even goes in the office, but because it's the front desk computer, someone has to be manning it constantly so they all will have a user each (there's like 8-10 agents, I think)

The quote my mum got from Dell was at $1700 with an i5 3470, so I picked that to make my build of a similar performance level--I could downgrade to a G550 (the store doesn't sell G860s), but I'll probably end up looking at something more like an i3 3220.

Cheers, Wats!

3220 would be plently. lol...Dell. Happy to help. GL finding deals!

Cheers, Wats!

You would be surprised! I'm not sure why, but the Dell was actually of reasonable value... only $400 overpriced! That might seem a lot--to build it costs $1300, to buy it $1700, but you get a year of Dell on-site service... bad value or not, that's pretty darn good for DELL haha.