840 Pro and HyperX 3K Pass 2 Petabytes With No Problem

I remember reading a story a while back about an SSD performance test being done by The Tech Report. Apparently, the remaining two contenders, the Samsung 840 Pro and the Kingston HyperX 3K, are still kicking. I first heard about it on my HTC One M8's Blinkfeed from engadget.com which linked me to The Tech Report's article about the test here.

http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

For those who don't know, a Petabyte is 1,000 Terabytes. 

Windows 10 | AMD FX-8350 @4.6GHz | BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 | 16Gb G.Skill DDR3 1866 | MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb | Corsair HX750 | NZXT Source 530 case | Logitech G710+ keyboard | Logitech G500s mouse | Saitek X52 Joystick and Throttle | Saitek ProFlight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Windows 10 | AMD FX-8350 @4.6GHz | BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 | 16Gb G.Skill DDR3 1866 | MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb | Corsair HX750 | NZXT Source 530 case | Logitech G710+ keyboard | Logitech G500s mouse | Saitek X52 Joystick and Throttle | Saitek ProFlight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR

I remember reading a story a while back about an SSD performance test being done by The Tech Report. Apparently, the remaining two contenders, the Samsung 840 Pro and the Kingston HyperX 3K, are still kicking. I first heard about it on my HTC One M8's Blinkfeed from engadget.com which linked me to The Tech Report's article about the test here.

http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

For those who don't know, a Petabyte is 1,000 Terabytes. 

Repost, and 1PB is 1024TB

OH!! my bad. someone else already posted about it. thanks

Nope it isn't really really.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

OH!! my bad. someone else already posted about it. thanks

No you are right.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Nope it isn't really really.

Actually it is, but the definition was taken differently by some countries and companies back in the day, specially on the era when the storage market increased widely. Given this, main HDD manufacturers took advantage and made their capacities look bigger by going with the 'K'=1000, instead of the actual 'KB' definition which was the standard on informatics. So we started to get showered in those typical '10GB' drives that were actually packing less.

Today, on projects where there is an actual need for accuracy, we have the 'i' units of measurement; KiB, MiB, etc; that when used indicate an exact 1024 conversion.

However on the communities, true techies will always acknowledge 1 GB as 1024MB.

Actually it is, but the definition was taken differently by some countries and companies back in the day, specially on the era when the storage market increased widely. Given this, main HDD manufacturers took advantage and made their capacities look bigger by going with the 'K'=1000, instead of the actual 'KB' definition which was the standard on informatics. So we started to get showered in those typical '10GB' drives that were actually packing less.

Today, on projects where there is an actual need for accuracy, we have the 'i' units of measurement; KiB, MiB, etc; that when used indicate an exact 1024 conversion.

However on the communities, true techies will always acknowledge 1 GB as 1024MB.

Yeah nooo just look at this, a GB is 1000MB a GiB is a 1024MiB.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

? what?

he is saying its a repost, and linked the original 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

that's what I've just said. Did you read what I posted?

You said that the tech community acknowledged that a 1GB is a 1024MB which it isn't and never should be.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

You said that the tech community acknowledged that a 1GB is a 1024MB which it isn't and never should be.

well, pretty much all my coworkers, classmates and teachers do recognize it, and refer as it with the old terminology. Also many blogs and forums, including guides and tutorials.

The only reason 1 GB is 1000 MB is because IEC is retarded. This wasn't true till 98

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

We know PETA bites u if u hurt animals but how are SSDs involed?! Kappa :P

Hmm so HyperX isnt a bad investment afterall, might keep my eye out for 3rd SSD lol (one 840evo, one MX100 and HyperX next haha)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Yeah nooo just look at this, a GB is 1000MB a GiB is a 1024MiB.

a GiB is 1024MB, that's where the two units come together

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

No, it's 1024 MiB, and it's a retarded idea that I refuse to accept and I much prefer the traditional measurement.

They don't "come together"

1 Gib= 1024 MiB

1 MiB = 1024 KiB

1 KiB = 1024 Bytes

Think of it this way, GiB/MiB/KiB is exactly the same as the traditional 1024 conversion that a lot of people still use 16 years later.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Nope 1 GiB is 1073.74MB.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

The only reason 1 GB is 1000 MB is because IEC is retarded. This wasn't true till 98

What?? I thought it was SI because of all Kilo and Giga can you elaborate please..

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

What?? I thought it was SI because of all Kilo and Giga can you elaborate please..

Long story short, it was on a 1024 scale, because that's just computer convent. Then IEC in their infinite wisdom decided it had to match SI.

It's not that they are wrong, but changing it after so long just leads to confusion, even now.

muh specs 

All parts black

well, pretty much all my coworkers, classmates and teachers do recognize it, and refer as it with the old terminology. Also many blogs and forums, including guides and tutorials.

Which is wrong and a misconception and I wouldn't because a lot of people say it, Barnacules did it and I corrected him so did other people like newegg TV if it's wrong I will correct them it doesn't matter and a lot of forum members know that a 1 GB is 1000MB which dare I say are a tech community.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Which is wrong and a misconception and I wouldn't because a lot of people say it, Barnacules did it and I corrected him so did other people like newegg TV if it's wrong I will correct them it doesn't matter and a lot of forum members know that a 1 GB is 1000MB which dare I say are a tech community.

Thing is the majority of the tech community are older and grew up on the traditional definition, then in 98 some small groups of people decided to change that all.

Barnacules wasn't really wrong either- not only did he learn and start programming likely before the definition change, but as far as I know windows still uses the 1024 conversion. This is why a lot of people plug in drives and think the drive uses a lot of space up formatting or whatever. It doesn't. It's just on a 1000MB=1GB, and windows is not as far as I remember.

1 TB = 0.909495 TiB, and windows uses the TiB definition for TB

muh specs 

All parts black

LoL my bad, topic repost....post has digressed. i'm OP and i'm unfollowing this post. a Mod can delete if they feel so inclined.

Long story short, it was on a 1024 scale, because that's just computer convent. Then IEC in their infinite wisdom decided it had to match SI.

It's not that they are wrong, but changing it after so long just leads to confusion, even now.

So it wasn't the other way around changed from decimal to binary.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Thing is the majority of the tech community are older and grew up on the traditional definition, then in 98 some small groups of people decided to change that all.

Barnacules wasn't really wrong either- not only did he learn and start programming likely before the definition change, but as far as I know windows still uses the 1024 conversion. This is why a lot of people plug in drives and think the drive uses a lot of space up formatting or whatever. It doesn't. It's just on a 1000MB=1GB, and windows is not as far as I remember.

1 TB = 0.909495 TiB, and windows uses the TiB definition for TB

Yes you are right only MS does this Linux,OSX use decimal not binary and show it as decimal, Win uses binary units and shows them as decimal and that where a lot of problems happen like seeing HDD smaller than advertised.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ