Scientists Develop Camera That Captures 100 Billion Frames Per Second.

n4v9fc.jpg

For Some of us High speed camera means 120fps to 240 fps on our smart phones & those who are used to professional camera maybe 1000 fps to 6000fps & even more enthusiastics it can heave upto 10,000fps & even going further it can come to 100,000 fps to the max!!

Guess what?.. Scientist have developed technique where a single-shot compressed ultrafast photography is taken at one hundred billion frames per second That is 100000000000 fps.

The Technique is called compressed ultrafast photography (CUP) & it's a two-dimensional dynamic imaging technique,

Don't Blink..

eye1.jpg

The Camera is , as you guessed is not an ordinary camera but a specialy designed industrial strength high-speed camera.The Purpose for the camera build is for to track light as it travels and interacts with objects , so nor regular time warp application :/

CUP technique could be used in the development of so-called invisibility cloaks

Researchers used the technique to explore phenomenas such as how light reflects and refracts, as well as how photons behave when transitioning from one medium to another

One of the purposes for the build is to Study Invisibility Cloaks, you heard that right , The camera is  so fast that it can actually capture light in it's path (in 2d) what they plan to do with t the technology is to study how light intereacts & behaves on & around certain object , by learning that they can research into light interactive fabric that can behave that can bend around fabric making the object literally invisible to the naked eye..

Soon this could be a reality..

harry.gif

"This field of study, popularized in Star Trek, is real, and although may advances are being made in fundamental approaches to cloaking designs, the inability to see the interactions between light and the object being cloaked hampers development,"

CUP System Configuration: camera setup
nature14005-f1.jpg

Previous well advanced cameras could only record at roughly a billion frames a second

Explanation of the image above:

With CUP, the photons necessary to take an image are blasted through a beam splitter and then through a tube that has several tiny mirrors. These photons are converted into electrons, which encode the data you want captured namely the time and space data necessary to create an image. All of this happens in one billionth of a second, and the data can then be arranged into a video on a computer

Strictly speaking this is not the fastest camera in the world still..the fastest in the world as of now can capture images upto trillionth frames per second that camera was able to capture stunning picture of heat conduction, but that had so many limitations unlike this one.

Screen-shot-2010-08-19-at-4.59.04-PM-580

if only it could capture images in this 3d format :/

The technology is impressive and quite complex. Previous cameras could record at roughly a billion frames a second, but could only do so in one dimension that meant you could measure space or time, but not both. And it was slower, anyway.

To be totally honest, we're not even sure what we'll be able to see with a camera this fast.

-

Compared with existing ultrafast imaging techniques, CUP has the prominent advantage of measuring an x–y–t (x, y, spatial coordinates & t is time) scene with a single camera snapshot, thereby allowing observation of transient events with temporal resolution as tens of picoseconds. Furthermore, akin to traditional photography, CUP is receive-only, and so does not need the specialized active illumination required by other single-shot ultrafast images

Captured ultra fast image of a laser beam shot into different medium:

nature14005-f3.jpg

By the way PS equals picoseconds ie One trillionth (10^-12) of a second.

Expalnation:

Figure A:  laser beam light reflecting/bouncing from the mirror (the mirror is drawn into the image to show the placement)

Figure B  shows the beam going through different medium(refracting) air into clear resin.

Figure C shows Difference in travel speed between the laser beam in different mediums ..(racing)

Video demo for figure A: (mirror reflection)

Video for the Figure B: (Air to clear resin)

Akin to traditional photography, CUP is receive-only, and so does not need the specialized active illumination required by other single-shot ultrafast imagers As a result, CUP can image a variety of luminescent such as fluorescent or bioluminescent objects

Given CUP’s capability, The team expect to find widespread applications in both fundamental and applied sciences, including biomedical research.

Pretty cool  stuff, Would be cool to see how the technology is implied, pretty interesting...What are your Thoughts/opinions on this? Post your comments down below for us to read..

Bonus:

sms-1609.jpg

News Link:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/04/high-speed-camera-tracks-light-at-100-billion-fps/

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-fastest-camera-ever-created-will-be-used-to-study-invisibility-cloaks

Original Article/Report:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v516/n7529/full/nature14005.html

Details separate people.

Frames per second is just a number

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

damn that was quick response (20 seconds or less) :P you guys even read it through or just the title? :lol:

Details separate people.

Frames per second is just a number

#ubisoft #keepondigging #neverforget

Yes, I quoted myself

This looks really neat though. All the pictures look very science-y, I'm sure this will work perfectly. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

This is stupid.

A more cinematic 24fps would be a lot better.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Crap,thats a lot of frames per second. But as @ said, "Frames per Second is just a number" It is still cool that scientists have created such a camera. I wonder what the cost would be on such a device.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

How is this even capturing a relevant amount of light in a 1/(10^9) second?

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Crap,thats a lot of frames per second. But as @AlexStrizenec Ubisoft said, "Frames per Second is just a number" It is still cool that scientists have created such a camera. I wonder what the cost would be on such a device.

Fixed.

But I agree though. I think this is one of those times when the scientists are just flexing their hypothetical muscles and saying "hey, look what we can do". Still fucking cool though. And I want my damn invisibility cloak now.

For fox sake its LASER not lazer

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

It's FUCK'S not fox

It's FUCK'S not fox

You are reported for profanity.

Nah, j/k

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Laser is like a lesser form of lazer. Lazer is just a better spelling.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

don't they already have camera that can do 1 trillion frames per second?

I think they called it femto photography.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

LASER

Light

Amplification through

Stimulation of

Electromagnetic

Radiation

I can most assuredly guarantee you its LASER.

Anyway after reading everything I'm impressed by the tech but sad its only a 2D technique, I was looking forward to seeing Jamie and Adam recording explosions at 1000000000000 FPS.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Watch as the whole forum pours into this topic by reading the title

didn't you do the exact same thing..

LASER

Light

Amplification through

Stimulation of

Electromagnetic

Radiation

I can most assuredly guarantee you its LASER.

Anyway after reading everything I'm impressed by the tech but sad its only a 2D technique, I was looking forward to seeing Jamie and Adam recording explosions at 1000000000000 FPS.

Sorry, but it's "stimulated emission of radiation" not "stimulation of electromagnetic radiation".

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Laser is like a lesser form of lazer. Lazer is just a better spelling.

What the fuck? Ok you've just blown my mind. There is already a "lesser" form of laser. Its called an LED. All you need is a resonant cavity to turn it into a laser, theoretically.

Seriously, lazer is for kids. This spelling is just dumb

60FPS Microwave

wait so 1 second of recorded footage, played back at 30fps is 6431 years of footage

hmm

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This is stupid.

A more cinematic 24fps would be a lot better.

Did somebody forget their sarcasm sticker?  :lol:

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

wait so 1 second of recorded footage, played back at 30fps is 6431 years of footage

hmm

hmmm seems about right yeah, altough i doubt they will make recordings wich are longer then 0.01second, because light and stuff, ya know photon detection orsomething like that(completely lost track of words)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

hmmm seems about right yeah, altough i doubt they will make recordings wich are longer then 0.01second, because light and stuff, ya know photon detection orsomething like that(completely lost track of words)

Yeah but imagine scrubbing through the timeline to find when the light hit

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah but imagine scrubbing through the timeline to find when the light hit

i think that might be pretty visable, if they see roughly the same thing as in the pics of OP, then there is a clear diffrence between the tracked object(in this case a laser/lazer beam/shot) and non tracked object(mirrors/walls) since the system probarlly uses heat mapping it's easier to see then a normal type of view.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.