thoughts on piracy on the pc

a debt on piracy, is it wrong or should people be allowed to pirate and if they enjoy the content they can buy it or should it stay illegal?

It is Illegal to Pirate Movies, Music, Video Games.  Also downloading Pirated material is a Misdemeanor

Because he had a hard drive.

No justification for immoral actions exist but you can try your damnedest to convince otherwise.

Pirate whatever you want, no one needs to know you do, nor your stuff is pirated. Just don't sell it.

Don't pirate unless you have no legal means of acquiring it.

You see loads of people on this forum who condemn Ubisoft and then loudly proclaim that they are going to pirate the game. So essentially the message they are sending is I like Ubisoft games a lot, well enough to spend my valuable time on it. I'm just a PC gamer who doesn't like to pay devs for their work; i'm too cheap.

I only pirate when something is too expensive or if I want to try it out. In my country you can pirate something for 1 day, but then you have to delete it.

I only pirate when something is too expensive or if I want to try it out. In my country you can pirate something for 1 day, but then you have to delete it.

Where do you live?

Because he had a hard drive.

I say yes it should be aloud only because i dont think it hurts the industrys as bad as they say it does, if anything it might help by spreading word of mouth of a particular film that was underrated by reviewers but was actual a good film it was just that the wrong people reviewed so the film could end up making more money. But the only reason there is a problem so to speak is that that content isnt easily accessible like being in all in one places or DRM which just throws more fuel on then fire then it is actul trying to stop the issue.   

There are technically benefits to piracy but it's illegal.

I really dislike piracy, and very rarely is there a good argument for it

The only way I see it being "justified" is if a product is not attainable by any other way, maybe its out of production, not available in your region, etc etc etc, 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm comfortable with pirating old games that you can't obtain directly from the developer or publisher.

(I'm also content with pirating games even if they'll re-release games on digital stores when they're over-priced for a game that came out a decade if not longer ago.)

(I think the only games I've pirated that came out within the past 5 or so-ish years were the latest Deus Ex and L.A Noire, reasons aside. I bought both this year for what I felt were reasonable prices and was confident that my money was going to the devs and publishers instead of to re-sellers.)

I also pirate music because I listen to a lot of Japanese music that I cannot obtain without jumping through tonnes of loops.

(I pirate Western music but that's more 'cause I'm a horrible person and want to stick it to the cunts in the industry, heh.)

Same with movies, I'll be much happier when the prices for these things become incredibly more realistic because I'm not paying $30 bucks for a DVD/Blu-Ray.

I wouldn't exactly say it's right, nor do I feel like it's completely justified as an action either, but it's certainly not the horrible and demonic practice that a lot of people make it out to be.

I used to buy games I knew I wanted to play and then pirated games where I wasn't sure and I couldn't get demos. That changed with steam now I buy all my games or wait for the sale. The steam sale has changed my gaming world. You can just buy it and give it a whirl , if it's not good no biggie it was only cheap. Although sometimes a demo would still be nice .

Poland

Guess who's moving to Poland

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

With TV the legal options for most people in the world are pretty restrictive. Plus they're expecting us to pay through the nose for content we're used to getting through an add supported model. It's not uncommon that the content is available in the US under that sort of model. So it's not a surprise that people in other countries feel justified pirating it.

With movies there are similar sorts of restrictions but you can live with that for a one-off thing. Plus we're used to paying for the content because that's how it always has been distributed. I mean going to see a movie at a cinema? That's still a thing that you can't replicate with a download anyways. And getting it down the road off iTunes or in a box? That has always been and still is a fraction of the price. I don't know about elsewhere but Australian prices not adjusted for inflation are about half of what they were ten years ago. It's cheaper than ever, little reason for piracy.

Music..... Spotify, Youtube, Google Play... no excuse or reason for piracy for the vast, vast majority of content....

Games? PC games? ..... .... I'm not sure I understand what you're saying... what's this "game piracy" you speak of?

SteamSummerSaleGabe.png

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

If you pirate games don't bitch about Ubisoft screwing over PC customers. Don't tell me it's not a lost sale. If you want to play the game buy it. If you don't want to play the game don't. 

If you pirate games don't bitch about Ubisoft screwing over PC customers. Don't tell me it's not a lost sale. If you want to play the game buy it. If you don't want to play the game don't. 

There can be no justification for screwing over PC users. Piracy is just an excuse and they know it very well. I agree that you should just buy a game if you want to play it. If it's too expensive, wait for a sale...

for the op:

Piracy is basically stealing. There is no justification for it in any case, even if it is the only way to get something. I know people who couldn't buy certain  games in their regions because of... reasons I guess? , so they pirated and I dont judge them. 

I don't have a credit card.Most of visa or whatever gifts are not available. Which means that I can't buy original stuff.Is piracy legal for me?

Purchasing any form of media or software needs to be readily accessible and affordable. e.g Not $75+ USD In Australia for no reason and no uPlay.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

I pirate all my movies and tv shows because they censor every single thing in the cinemas and on tv where im from. It takes way too long for things to come out on dvd, and is too expensive to ship.

I pirate movies and series because netflix in south america sucks, so i'd feel stupid paying for something that offers less content than something equally good and free. It's not like in games where 90% of games can't be played Online if pirated, so it makes em worth it to buy.

In games, i pirate almost everything, i think GTA V for PC will be the 1st game i'll pre-order when it's available. I buy games if they are worth it, i have like 60 games on steam, another bunch in origin, AC Unity, FC3 and Splintercell blacklist on Uplay. I buy games, but i'll pirate most of the games, ethier because i have no money atm, or because i don't think they are worth the price they're listed, so i'll ethier wait for the game to go really low on a steam sale, or i'll just play it and then delete it.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Piracy is lame and it hurts the industry more than it helps. Not to mention the morals and ethics involved in it. There really isn't any case to support piracy. One valid argument could be made for games or software that's out of production, but even that there is a good chance a copy of a game will be on ebay or Amazon for pennies on the dollar.

Purchasing any form of media or software needs to be readily accessible and affordable. e.g Not $75+ USD In Australia for no reason and no uPlay.

Australia does get screwed over but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. Anyways, FarCry 4 works out to be $20AU more on Steam than it is on a physical disk from the shops for PC but CoD:AW is about on par. But at retail compared to the US we're paying about the same they do, and this is after the recent AUD crash. Last I checked you could buy $50US Steam credit at EBs for what is now the equivalent of $46USD. If you hadn't noticed game prices have gone down in Australia and up in the US over the last few years. There's just about price parity now with a handful of odd exceptions.

Piracy is lame and it hurts the industry more than it helps. Not to mention the morals and ethics involved in it. There really isn't any case to support piracy. One valid argument could be made for games or software that's out of production, but even that there is a good chance a copy of a game will be on ebay or Amazon for pennies on the dollar.

In terms of actually paying the developer the grey-market is just as bad as piracy. There's obviously no rush to kill that option, because reasons, but in terms of what you're actually doing I don't see what the difference is. If you want to pay someone for the work they've created and there's an option to do so? That's clearly the better way to go about it. Especially when for a lot of content produced in the last decade there's a digital option.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I really dislike piracy, and very rarely is there a good argument for it

The only way I see it being "justified" is if a product is not attainable by any other way, maybe its out of production, not available in your region, etc etc etc,

I disagree. Studying engineering required me to know about and use many pieces of expensive commercial software (Ansys is one). Now if you think I was going to fork out 10s of thousands to buy ansys and all the other software i needed, you are mental. And lets just say, using the computers in college wasn't an option.

I know some companies sell student licences but not all do and they aren't even that cheap. Especially when you need a few different ones.

I really like the way crytek licence their game engine. Free until you make money using it.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700