Google Working on a Kids Friendly Version of Google & Youtube..

Safe Search

parents.png

Finallly Google officials are in talks in developing a Kids safe version of their ever popular search engine , The site is mainly aimed for Kids that are 12 & Below,

The News Comes courtesy of USA today with an interview with Googles VP of engineering, who is being tasked with leading Google's upcoming initiative to make their suite of products, from Gmail to YouTube into a more kid friendly user experience.

Google processing 40,000 search queries a second or 1.2 trillion a year it's a safe bet that many of those doing the Googling are kids

beginning next year 2015 the tech giant plans to create specific versions of its most popular products for those 12 and younger. The most likely candidates are those that are already popular with a broad age group, such as search, YouTube and Chrome.

141203182316-google-for-kids-620xa.jpg

Google will make them safe for children 12 years old and younger and give parents tools to oversee their kids' actions

the Google search engine isn't remotely the same as an adult's. (nope duh)

"The big motivator inside the company is everyone is having kids, so there's a push to change our products to be fun and safe for children,We expect this to be controversial, but the simple truth is kids already have the technology in schools and at home,So the better approach is to simply see to it that the tech is used in a better way."

- Pavni Diwanji

Internet-Safety-for-kids.jpg

Controversy may well follow in the wake of Google's drive. While tech companies are always seeking out new markets, which in turn expand their user base and ultimately drive up revenue, traditionally kids younger than 13 have been off limits.

company expects some controversy over the change, but that kids are already using Google's non-kid-friendly technology.

A Google search for "train" brings up a link to the closest Amtrak station, but chances are that's not what an eight-year-old is searching for. Kids are probably more interested in Thomas the Tank Engine than the most up-to-date commuting schedule.

@WinNut: :P                                                                                                  

635532043516380263-1-Pavni-Diwanji.jpg

Pavni Diwanji VP google

What also is being worked out are the ways in which parents will be able to oversee their child's interactions with Google's technologies, perhaps limiting usage to set time frames.

"We want to lay the foundation right, and then make sure every single part of Google is great for kids. They are the future, so why not give them the tools to let them create it."

Pretty exciting news imo, Google haven't yet announced which specific items they are working on or the timeline line only that the search engine & browser & it's current active services such as google chrome , image search & YouTube are confirmed, What are your thoughts on this? Post your comments & rants down below..

Original article: (interview'ish & lot to read)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/12/03/google-products-revamped-for-under-13-crowd/19803447/

News Link:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/03/technology/google-for-kids/index.html

Details separate people.

Why not. I mean, it makes sense.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That sounds... fine. Love the WinNut name drop.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Bill Nye

As long as this does not impact anyone else's viewing experience, i am fine with this.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

yay more audience for my youtube channel :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This might be the beginning of the end of 8 year old script kids.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

What about youtubers with a young audience who swear? There just going to lose all those views because there parents think they dont already hear or even say it at school and in the world in general?

so ive they make a G rated youtube, can we get the rest unlocked to MA please :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

If I have a kid who can't figure out how to get around parental safety limitations, I will have failed in raising him.

If I have a kid who can't figure out how to get around parental safety limitations, I will have failed in raising him.

You won. Discussion over. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Makes sense to tailor the search results to the audience. That Amtrak vs Thomas the Tank Engine example won me over. I imagine most kids won't be happy with being limited by using this engine, but it makes sense. 12 seems a little old though. Granted most 12 year olds won't be looking up train timetables, but they won't be looking up Thomas either. I can imagine parents thinking this is a good idea for their 5 year old son. Something like that.

Are kids retarded these days. Honestly back when i was a children using google was simple enough, fair enough apply some parental controls if you want but this is just silly.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It's a nice step in the right direction, but as others mentioned, Google is not the only search engine out there. Still, it's a worthy effort, one which I hope more IT companies will take part in.

Parenting was never easy, but these days, it seems the margin for error is even slimmer. Kids having access to the internet can be both beneficial and horribly detrimental and it's unrealistic to think you can always monitor or restrict their internet access. 

The best approach is still teaching your child self discipline. It's easier said than done, but nothing beats good parenting. Hopefully this effort by Google will, at least somewhat, lessen the burden.

- Now with added  WUB WUB -

This won't be that big of a deal for the tech savvy parents, as they'll probably have children that'll give two cares about parent filters and limited content. But for the large mainstream audience it's pretty cool; back in the day parents allowed their children to watch TV for a while after they were done with homework and stuff, now they can give them children Youtube (and other video streaming) time.