Kickstarter suspends funding of blood-collecting game device

XTankSlayerX

bloodsport.png

A modified blood collection unit that draws blood from game players whenever their controller rumbles launched on Kickstarter earlier this month, but unfortunately for the Canadian duo behind the project (and video game-loving vampires everywhere), Kickstarter has suspended the project's funding drive.

According to CNET, Kickstarter itself has stated that its policy on project suspensions is to offer no comment. The project creators told Joystiq in an email that they "don't have an answer yet" as to why they were suspended. "Our guesses are that perhaps it has to do with our tie in to medical equipment or charity, or safety concerns since we're not officially partnered with a blood clinic yet (but we're working on that)."

The project creators claim on their page that, "by running carefully monitored tests with medical professionals, we've created a unit that makes blood donation easy, fun and nearly painless." However, none of the team involved are credited as said medical professionals. Instead, they are identified as "two dudes, who normally work as digital creative experts at advertising agencies, who took some time off."

It should be noted that the funding drive was not to mass produce the peripheral or allow backers to utilize one for casual use; instead, the aim of the Kickstarter campaign was to help create a two-player unit that could travel across Canada and start a series of blood donation events. Backers were not offered a unit, but a chance to participate in the donation. The project creators told Joystiq that they "genuinely want to bring attention to and help blood donations in Canada," and are looking into the suspension.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/11/29/kickstarter-suspends-funding-of-blood-collecting-game-device/

I say more than enough by saying: After reading this im about to pass out.

This is a stupid idea as well...

Great, it was a stupid idea anyway

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Good, it was an horrific idea.... Just thinking about it makes me cringe...

Not to mention the health problems I see, contamination and such

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

There's no extra chances of contamination it's not like the controller draws the blood it's essentially the same way as you donate blood now only it plugs into the controller and draws the blood when it vibrates... That said imagine racing games with it haha avoid the ripple strips at all costs and try not to drift.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

There's no extra chances of contamination it's not like the controller draws the blood it's essentially the same way as you donate blood now only it plugs into the controller and draws the blood when it vibrates... That said imagine racing games with it haha avoid the ripple strips at all costs and try not to drift.

Yeah okay, fair enough.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Stupid idea. I can understand brining more awareness to blood donation and making it more uh... appealing?

But in terms of efficiency it is stupid. Takes way too long and would rather just go to the hospital and donate.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

I though it was fun. ohwell

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I honestly didn't think it was that bad of an idea. If they made more than two, it could get pro teams good publicity (and they certainly need it after all that's happened) and in the process they would be donating blood. Like the OP said, this was not going to be mass produced, so it's not meant to be a interesting controller for the everday (or even hardcore) gamer.

It might have been okay if was monitored... But if that was in my house!?

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

It might have been okay if was monitored... But if that was in my house!?

I'm fairly certain they had no plans to sneak into peoples' houses and replace existing controllers with vampire versions.

In all honesty, it's a publicity stunt of some sort. It's not the first publicity stunt that I haven't understood, and it won't be the last. But I certainly don't care if other people decide they only want to donate blood if they're bad at video games.

Great!! it would have turned into a very shady practice anyways. 

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

my biggest problems are bugs.

it has the ability to kill a person if there is a bug in the system that can happen easily to any program

Idiotic idea.  I am glad it was suspended by Kickstarter.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

my biggest problems are bugs.

it has the ability to kill a person if there is a bug in the system that can happen easily to any program

It is not like it will suck 5 litres of blood without you noticing.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Blood donation is painless anyway, past the sticking the needle in part and this needs the needle in part too.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It is not like it will suck 5 litres of blood without you noticing.

unless you got "sucked" in to the game, it sucks you slowly and you just faint..

But you get the general idea, unless it is a medical certified machine that is handled by a nurse or doctor, is a big no no for me