Panasonic CM1 - first phone with 1" camera sensor

ShadowCaptain

Around 600 euros some websites are saying, which seems reasonable. I mean the price of a high end smartphone and sony rx100 would be MUCH higher

This MIGHT be a game changer... only problem is.. its panasonic... but maybe Sony could make an rx100 phone

This is quoted from Dpreview.

"Prices are as yet unconfirmed, but Wilkinson Cameras, one of the eight retailers that will begin sales on 1st December, has told DPR to expect a price in the region of £899."

ive a nice backpack and a shoulder rig, for when its not on a tripod anyway, so weight is not a problem ;)

Weight is still weight even when on a shoulder rig or backpack, its much lighter carrying a mirrorless, and I can slap a pancake on and use it for nice stealthy street shooting or take on a night out in my jeans pocket and have full frame goodness

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thats cool :) enjoy carrying an extra 2kg of nothing :P haha

my A7 convinced my D800 using friend to sell everything and get the A7ii

Different horse for different course. 

The choices of Sony FE mount lenses are still limit. So if you do wildlife, birding with long tele or landscape with high quality ultra-wide lens, or professional stuffs like wedding. D800D810 is still a better choice.

p.s. I'm an A7 user as well.

Weight is still weight even when on a shoulder rig or backpack, its much lighter carrying a mirrorless, and I can slap a pancake on and use it for nice stealthy street shooting or take on a night out in my jeans pocket and have full frame goodness

i wont continue to make an argument, since my fear of them is irrational, hence im in no position to argue :P

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Different horse for different course. 

The choices of Sony FE mount lenses are still limit. So if you do wildlife, birding with long tele or landscape with high quality ultra-wide lens, or professional stuffs like wedding. D800D810 is still a better choice.

A mount adapter to use all of Sonys lenses, nikon and canon adapters (using a nikon 100mm macro atm) and looking at getting some leica glass

i wont continue to make an argument, since my fear of them is irrational, hence im in no position to argue  :P

Its fair enough :) everyone has their preferences

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A mount adapter to use all of Sonys lenses, nikon and canon adapters (using a nikon 100mm macro atm) and looking at getting some leica glass

If you use A mount lenses. It's kind of defeat the purpose of light weight. Let's not get into this argument. I have seen too much in other photography forums. I use and like mirrorless camera a lot. A7 is my main camera now. 

If you use A mount lenses. It's kind of defeat the purpose of light weight. Let's not get into this argument. I have seen too much in other photography forums. I use and like mirrorless camera a lot. A7 is my main camera now. 

I use A mount/adapter lenses in studio situations, if walking around I use FE mount or pancake lenses or  other small ligh lenses

Looks so stupid. If you want a camera buy a camera. If you want a phone buy a phone. Smashing them together is just not working...

Looks so stupid. If you want a camera buy a camera. If you want a phone buy a phone. Smashing them together is just not working...

thats the main problem... the looks, the technology is a great idea, a big sensor

not having to carry around a compact camera is great, I mean I carry my smartphone everywhere, if it takes amazing photos that is only a plus

you have no idea how wrong you are... I dont wanna lug a bunch of cameras with me, and i dont want the inherent high f stop that comes with lenses that have a broad focus range... DSLRs are here to stay, until someone figures out how to make a lens that has an f/1.8-2.8 everywhere from 15mm to 400mm ;) and then make it small enough to fit on a compact camera. not happening.

Could you clarify this post. First you say you don't want to lug stuff around then you claim that DSLRs are here to stay (the clunkiest stuff to carry around).

Could you clarify this post. First you say you don't want to lug stuff around then you claim that DSLRs are here to stay (the clunkiest stuff to carry around).

i say i dont wanna lug a bunch of cameras around. i was assuming the post was about the small cameras where you cant change the lens.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

thats the main problem... the looks, the technology is a great idea, a big sensor

not having to carry around a compact camera is great, I mean I carry my smartphone everywhere, if it takes amazing photos that is only a plus

Yea but really what is an amazing photo when most people are viewing it these days on a 5" display to begin with. I personally think the 8 MP+ shooters that are common on phones is more than enough for clear images. If you get into photography even then you would probably agree that it's a stupid idea to combine the two. I'd rather go out and buy a better single camera and a better single phone than to have a mockup of the two together. It's probably great if you're an Instagram whore but other than that it's far too ugly and really unnecessary in my opinion.

i say i dont wanna lug a bunch of cameras around. i was assuming the post was about the small cameras where you cant change the lens.

I only have to carry one camera around and its a small camera. If the glass is limiting, then I can go mirrorless.

DSLRs are a dying breed because there are fixed compact cameras that are becoming very versatile. For those heavy professional shooters, mirrorless interchangeable cameras are there for them as well.

Yea but really what is an amazing photo when most people are viewing it these days on a 5" display to begin with. I personally think the 8 MP+ shooters that are common on phones is more than enough for clear images. If you get into photography even then you would probably agree that it's a stupid idea to combine the two. I'd rather go out and buy a better single camera and a better single phone than to have a mockup of the two together. It's probably great if you're an Instagram whore but other than that it's far too ugly and really unnecessary in my opinion.

but I HAVE a better camera, I just dont always have it on me, and my iPhone camera is ok in a pinch, but if it means that same phone could take photos on par with an RX100? .. thats amazing, if I am without my camera I have something high end on me still

I only have to carry one camera around and its a small camera. If the glass is limiting, then I can go mirrorless.

DSLRs are a dying breed because there are fixed compact cameras that are becoming very versatile. For those heavy professional shooters, mirrorless interchangeable cameras are there for them as well.

there is this exact argument in this thread already, wont go into it again :)

Unless you only shoot some friend gatherings, family photos, that sort of stuffs. A smart phone or small point & shoot work just fine. 

Because when you are talking camera, more precisely you should be thinking a camera system. Which includes camera body, lenses, flash and the post production softwares, etc. You need a specific type of lens to do a certain job. Right now, the more complete mirrorless system is M43, with Panasonic and Olympus pumping out from cheap to relatively high quality semi-professional lenses. Still, it is no where near Canon and Nikon's eco-system. They have 20 years to build their entire lines of auto-focus lenses and sub-systems. Even Sony A mount is not quite there compares to Big C & N.

Oh, please don't compare fixed lens 1 inch sensor to FF DSLR/mirrorless in term of image quality. Especially when you pair it with some jaw dropping high quality prime lenses, like the Zeiss Otus. It is like a custom build 3 way SLI GTX980 with 5960X and a Bestbuy $400 HP pre-build.

Unless you only shoot some friends gathering, family photos, that sort of stuffs. A smart phone or small point & shoot work just fine. 

Because when you are talking camera, more precise you should be thinking a camera system. Which includes camera body, lenses, flash and the post production softwares, etc. You need a specific type of lens to do certain job. Right now, the more complete mirrorless system is M43, with Panasonic and Olympus pumping out from cheap to relatively high quality semi-professional lenses. Still, it is no where need Canon and Nikon's eco-system. They have 20 years to build their entire lines of auto-focus lenses and sub-systems. Even Sony A mount is not quite there compares to Big C & N.

Oh, please don't compare fixed lens 1 inch sensor to FF DSLR/mirrorless in term of image quality. Especially when you pair it with some jaw dropping high quality prime lenses, like the Zeiss Otus. It is like a custom build 3 way SLI GTX980 with 5960X and a Bestbuy $400 HP pre-build.

Agreed but I don't remember comparing 1" sensors to DSLR/Mirrorless cameras?

Also I said DSLRs are a dying breed, not dead. In regards to having a lens eco-system, aren't mirrorless cameras the most versatile body mounts to work with? The sheer amount of legacy glass from a variety of companies trumps any locked ecosystem, or like you said like building a custom 3 way SLI rig rather than a bestbuy pre-build.

Agreed but I don't remember comparing 1" sensors to DSLR/Mirrorless cameras?

Also I said DSLRs are a dying breed, not dead. In regards to having a lens eco-system, aren't mirrorless cameras the most versatile body mounts to work with? The sheer amount of legacy glass from a variety of companies trumps any locked ecosystem, or like you said like building a custom 3 way SLI rig rather than a bestbuy pre-build.

Only if you are ok with manual focusing, which I do. I do a lot of landscape and portrait. Most people still prefer autofocus lenses, and in some situations manual focus simply will not cut it.

The effective size of the LX100's sensor is 1.5X of a typical 1" sensor. It beats all smart phone cameras and cheap point & shoot by miles. But FF is another league.

Lets not loose track here guys

I still think fitting a 1" sensor camera and a smartphone into a body that small is impressive and a step in a good direction

I'd happily take a phone just like that, but with no camera, same dimensions though, I really don't see the problem with having a phone with some weight and grip to it.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

But will it come to the U.S.?

15fps 4k video is meh. But if it takes RAW stills like the 1+1 than this is on my radar

I agree, but you could use it as a fast 4k burst feature, so basically 15fps 8mp photos, easy to grab a still from. Yeah it shoots raw :)

I'd happily take a phone just like that, but with no camera, same dimensions though, I really don't see the problem with having a phone with some weight and grip to it.

Yeah the doesnt really bother me, its aesthetics im not sure of, though I would not want to carry a big phone unless there was a big advantage over a small phone, whether that be battery life, camera quality or whatever else

How do you already know it saves RAW

Because it says so?

EDIT: its on the spec sheet on the Panasonic website and every website is stating it, I highly doubt they would give it a 1" sensor and Leica lens and have it shoot jpeg