US gamer sets world record after playing on Mount Everest

Skull Leader

Copy cats

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/11/25/us-gamer-sets-world-record-after-playing-on-mount-everest/?intcmp=obmod_ffo&intcmp=obnetwork

For most gamers, gaming is an indoors hobby, with the exception of maybe a quick game on Angry Birds on the bus. However, one 23-year-old has taken gaming to completely new heights, setting a new world record after playing a video game on the top of Mount Everest.

In anticipation of the release of “Far Cry 4” - the latest installment of the first-person shooter adventure series set in a region of the Himalayas - producers Ubisoft chose lucky fan, and Utah native, William Cruz as the winner of its “Quest for Everest: The Gaming Journey of a Lifetime” contest, in which he won the opportunity to make the journey up Everest and play the game with a spectacular view in front of him.

Although a keen hiker, Cruz was no hardened traveler and had never been outside of the United States before. He had to file for a passport to be able to make the trip.

Yet, far from being a gimmicky jaunt, Cruz told FoxNews.com that he visit Kathmandu, Khumjung Monastery, the Khumbu Glacier, and eventually the Ubisoft Base Camp at Mount Everest during his journey. While he was familiar with the mountains of Utah, Cruz said that the experience was no easy quest.

“As we gained altitude, walking became harder and harder, sleeping became harder and you even had to drink a lot more water. You almost always feel like you just finished running 3 miles, all the time,” Cruz told FoxNews.com. “I remember after surpassing 15,000 feet., I had to wake up multiple times in the night and focus on breathing to relieve minor headaches.”

Getting all the equipment needed to get the game working and set the record at 18,000 feet required 15 men and five yaks, and then an 8-hour wait in 25 mph winds so the sun would set, making it possible to see the screen.

“It was cold enough that I had frost on my jacket after we finished playing. I was very surprised the PlayStation 4 ran without a hiccup in those temperatures,” Cruz said.

Cruz played for about 90 minutes, although he kept dying in the game, so distracted was he by the jaw-dropping views as the sun set in the distance. While it may not have been his best gaming session, by playing he secured the "Guinness World Record for Highest Altitude Videogame Console Session" at a recorded elevation of 18,569 feet.

“It was really cool, because you would see prayer flags and these massive snowcapped mountains in the game, then you would look up and see it in real life,” he said. “It was amazing.”

While the experience was tough and exhausting, it sounds like Cruz has not been put off and is keen to plan his next adventure.

“Even though it was difficult, I would do it again in a heartbeat,“ he said.

And where is the search function?  Couldn't locate it to prevent possible duplicate post.

Honor First!

woa

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Linus and Slick, Lan party on the moon in 2015.

I like it!

Honor First!

Ps4? The could have just taken a g751 or something...

Well good for him, ubi did something cool for once.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I guess Linus and Slick could play at the summit, on laptops of course.  This was only at the base camp just above 18,000 feet.

I'm kidding of course.  Sumitting Everest is serious business and shouldn't be looked at as a publicity stunt.

Honor First!

I'll gladly hook them up with elon musk.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Fuck YES.

And Ubisoft, try all the bullshit marketing crap you want, I still wont buy a single game from you. I hope you all burn in a non existent hell

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Linus media group orbital lan party? I mean we can't let Ubisoft of all people beat them...

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

They should add that as a new tier to the New Office Fundraiser

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

So if I gamed on my laptop while I was on a plane, would I be considered a guinness record winner?

No though maybe if we held a lan party on a plane...

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

I say we do a crowdfunding campaign for them to beat this. Fox News source... :rolleyes:.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

When I become an astronaut, I'll get everyone on the ISS to join in the lan party just so I can set the record

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

They should focus on their games...Ubi's recent AAA games are no better than their predecessors Far cry 4 looks more like an skinned add on DLC while unity is a fugly mess.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Doesn't matter, Linus and Luke still have the record as Ubisoft did it on a console which is not a real gaming device, and doesn't count as a lan party. Plus he was playing alone, once again. Not a Lan party.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Doesn't count, Far Cry 4 is not a game, it's bloatware. And I'd bet $10000 Ubisoft had to use a torrent version to get it to work up there without connectivity to DRM.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW