AMD Stepping up their game!

horvath93

To me, as a game programmer, this means using this extension:

GL_ATI_texture_float

And giving a whopping 0.2 FPS increase.  Whoop-de-do.

I wonder when it will be sorted for 7970

Its sorted for all GPU's.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

I think you should. I recommend basing it on what is in my sig. Very solid system as well as saving some money on a refurbished ssd. 

might just wait to see if i can get an ITX board for a 8350.  Then i would be happy to build a Red Prodigy just for the red team 

itx am3+ boards arent going to happen until some manufacturers like asus feel that amd is offering a better solution than intel. then it seems profitable to have a itx am3 board

Its sorted for all GPU's.

that is very pleasing. Do you know what drivers I should install to fix this 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

might just wait to see if i can get an ITX board for a 8350.  Then i would be happy to build a Red Prodigy just for the red team 

you cant get m-itx for am3 you will need to get a m-atx board. I suggest the 350d for the case. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Hopefully this also means they'll be part of the next Never Settle bundle. If AMD announce those along with their 8000 series, that'll be pretty damn tempting.

well...

On the one hand, it makes me happy that amd is in a position, where they are able to do such things again.

But on the other hand, such things suck. It sucked back when nvidia did their "the way it's meant to be played"-thing and it sucks today when a hardware manufacturer has direct influence on how a game runs on different hardware. It's always a gamble whether to buy nvidia or amd to accomplish best results in upcoming games :/

But would that also mean even the mutithreaded i7's also be "optimized" for it?

Partially, perhaps since Windows sees hyperhreaded cores as two processors. However, hyperthreading's implementation is very different from modules.

Hyperthreading is basically an overbuilt cpu core but no extra integer cores. So they queue up extra instructions and don't have to wait for one to finish to start up another. If my understanding of this is correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthreading

AMD modules on the other hand are two integer cores sharing cache, so it's sort of an inverse version of what Intel did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_(microarchitecture)#Bulldozer_core

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

I think my 780s will cope with their sneaky tricks lol :-)

Dammit AMD play nice or should i say play DICE.....Huh?....huh? no nothing okay, but seriously maybe a couple of frames here and there won't hurt much, but i do hope we don't get the same scenario as we did with Tomb Raider and TressFX where it was purely optimized for AMD GPU's.

Personally i'm not to worried about it i think it will be the case where AMD CPU's and GPU's will possibly achieve about a 10 to 15% performance increase in these games, but what i am worried about is that we are going to be seeing a lot more of this in the next few years from AMD i suspect because of they're recent ventures and business deals with Sony and Microsoft more and more games WILL be better optimized for AMD CPU's considering that the PS4 and Xbox One both have an AMD CPU inside of them.

Which one would a safer buy for the future in gaming? an AMD 8-core CPU or an Intel Haswell chip?

My new 780 thats is in the post office will hopefully run it at max anyway.

Wuld me nice if it was added to neversettle, tough i doubt it will happend

Sounds like they looking to add those titles to a never settle bundle for the next line of GPUS. They wont be included in the current bundle line up, but perhaps once this one ends and the next begins. Assuming they continue the never settle campaign.

They said the exact same promo stuff in regards to other never settle games before they were added.

If their next cards have yet another decent never settle bundle I'll likely grab one... or two flagship cards after first price drop/sale/rebate :)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I really do hope so because in my rig I have a 8350 and a 7970. They just need to sort out the crossfire microstutter issue and then if I get another 7970 I may have a completely beast battlefield pcx. Also more games need to start leveraging more cores I think.

Micro stutter and all of that CF jazz is currently not that bad of an issue with Randeon optimized games like BF3. Check the updated framerating dissected on PC with v-sync enabled on 7970 CF. consistent 60fps with no performance issues.

Micro stutter and all of that CF jazz is currently not that bad of an issue with Randeon optimized games like BF3. Check the updated framerating dissected on PC with v-sync enabled on 7970 CF. consistent 60fps with no performance issues.

fair enough Thanks

Sorry, I stopped reading/caring when I saw the letters "EA".  Optimized or not, they aren't getting a cent of my money.

Full disclosure: My system is sporting dual 7950s so I have nothing against AMD, I just refuse to buy anything with the taint of EA on it.

if your running 2 7970 is xfire and only getting 60 fps then theres something wrong. a single 7970ghz will run the game on ultra and give 60+fps minimum... even on maps like gulf of oman. with 2 high end cards like that you need 3 screens or 1 120hz screen to get the best from them cards. if not it means you have payed a lot for maybe 1-5% perfomance gains as opposed to running a single card with vsync on.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

That's a lot of As and AMDs in that paragraph!

But seriously, this is good stuff news and hopefully we'll see much more of it with new next gen titles.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Optimizing for a CPU could mean making the game genuinely perform better with multi-core. That would give AMD a distinct advantage against Intel at this time.

It was expected, then predicted now it happened. Now I feel like a boss for continuously recommending FX 8320/8350 CPUs over the 3570K on this forum.

I sure hope this makes Intel start working on consumer CPUs with more than 4 cores. Yes, there are hexacore CPUs on the 2011 socket, but they need to make some 8 core procs especially in the 1150 socket.

With 22nm fab why can't they go the old pentium D route and put two 4770 dies onto one chip and call it an octacore? But then it would be as expensive as a 2011 CPU... so maybe I just need to switch to AMD.

It was expected, then predicted now it happened. Now I feel like a boss for continuously recommending FX 8320/8350 CPUs over the 3570K on this forum.

If only Linus/Tek reviews and this forums was here when i built my pc..... dam i play so much BF3 and every one on other forums recommended me i5 3570k.... shame.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

if the 8350 or 8320 were out when I built my computer, I would have gotten that. I heard Piledriver was junk so I got a i5-2400. It fit my budget, but at the price/performance of the 8350, that would have fit even better ;)

Old shit no one cares about but me.