Google Contributor will let you pay a monthly fee to see select websites without ads

_Rocket

"Google is trying to shake up that model a bit with a new system it's calling Contributor. Instead of dealing with ads, those who use Contributor will donate between $1 and $3 a month to see Contributor partner sites without any advertising. That money goes to the participating sites, though it's not clear if Google is taking a cut — or if you'll need to donate that much per site you visit."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/20/7255779/google-contributor-will-let-you-pay-to-see-sites-without-ads

It still need more details about how this is going to work, interesting seeing this coming from google

Huh... Sounds like a cash grab. I wonder what else I can...

logo-adblock-plus.png

Oh yeah... That.

It makes sense,
It would make a big part of the users who use adblock(including me) to be able to contribute to the content creator without ads.

many sites already have a similar system where you can buy premium to disable the ads.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Oh yeah... That.

That isn't always the answer. The internet wouldn't run without ads. If you enjoy using a site turn off adblock for the site. I only use addblock on sites I don't frequent or have ridiculously intrusive ads.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

logo-adblock-plus.png

Oh yeah... That.

Many of the adblock users(including me) want to be able to contribute to the content-creators without ads.

If you use adblock you are blocking the money from going to the content creator.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Many of the adblock users(including me) want to be able to contribute to the content-creators without ads.

If you use adblock you are blocking the money from going to the content creator.

If you use it properly (which i believe is how it is meant to be), you can whitelist those sites... By default, it blocks it, but there are those 'random' sites that I would rather not see their ads nor support them. As for the ones that you do use regularly and trust, just whitelist.

I'd use something like scriptsafe, but its too much work for me to figure out and can break some sites I go on.

The Contributor thing is still quite vague, but this seems like its only supported by things under the Contributor program, which all sites might not get. I'd much prefer a much more global solution, in my opinion. I think i can have more of a outlook on how good this is once more details get released.

Sounds good to me! :) And all ABP users saying it's a waste of money... what about mobile browsing? :)

It seems impossible until it's done.

But how is it gonna work. Do I have to log in at a browser (probably chrome) which then whitelists those websites for me or something? 

Sounds good to me! :) And all ABP users saying it's a waste of money... what about mobile browsing? :)

Firefox for Android has addon support. You can download ABP.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

No thanks, I don't give money to Google.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

That seems awesome depending on how much money actually goes to the websites. I think I would just prefer to directly pay the websites for no ads so I know exactly where my money is going. This is a great alternative for AdBlock users who want to contribute to websites but just can't stand ads. 

I'll probably just stick to dealing with ads until there's a clearer understanding of how it works.

It's.. an idea I guess. I don't know how well it will take off. For the most part I have no problem with ads, any website that I frequent I add to a whitelist and anything else just gets blocked (I'd love to do it the other way around, just by blacklisting sites that are intrusive, but I don't think ABP offers that). I feel like most people that aren't running adblock plus really don't care for ads, and those who are running it all of the time really don't give a fuck about the content creator anyway.

Yeah....No. And not because I don't want to support content creators but because after hearing all the horror stories and bullshit people go through on youtube, I don't trust Google to address any problems that will inevitably arise from this.

-------

Current Rig

-------