Pentium G3258 vs FX 8320 (poll)

I remember someone telling me I was dead wrong when I said amd is not going to refresh their fx line

AMD did refresh their FX line enter FX 8370 and 8370e and a few more chips.

A lot of people where saying that due to some post somewhere saying AM3+ was dead, its not AM3 is and the FX line is moving over to AM3+ but let's be honest we don't know for how long

Pentium gives you superior IPC for low thread games, and a viable upgrade path to i5/i7.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

A lot of people where saying that due to some post somewhere saying AM3+ was dead, its not AM3 is and the FX line is moving over to AM3+ but let's be honest we don't know for how long

That makes absolutely no sense.That's like saying Intel 1150 is going to be around for who know how long LOL.

I meant new architecture/better performance....not 40w less power consumption.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

I meant new architecture/better performance....not 40w less power consumption.

They OC a bit better so ya more performance. 5Ghz is not unheard of.

Most certainly good sir.

People think they are getting a good deal when they buy FX, and they are not.

If you enjoy games like MMOs(ArcheAge, WoW, Guild Wars2, World of Tanks, Planetside2 etc..) DayZ, ARMA2, ARMA3, Dead Rising 3, Indies, RTS, Emulators, etc.. the FX will be unplayable unless you think 15-20fps is acceptable.

Sorry could you tell the same information for my PC as well? It does not get this info and it runs games just fine, while running circuit design programs, many many tabs on chrome, many other programs.

Although my little HD7770 is suffering on HD :(

My biggest problem with these arguements are that people just pointing at benchmarks, saying that 59FPS is unplayable and trying to prove their points with specific scenarios, without any actual experience with AMD CPUs. 

Can confirm the 5 Ghz

FRW8wz3.png

Besides that. This vs battle is a bit unfair. Compare a dualcore with an top of the line fx. G3258 vs Fx4300 in game performance would be interesting to see. But for the record. Voted for Intel because Pentium Owner ^^. Daily OC is in the signature, 5 ghz on this chip needs really good cooling which I don't have to try it on a daily basis.

Can confirm the 5 Ghz

Besides that. This vs battle is a bit unfair. Compare a dualcore with an top of the line fx. G3258 vs Fx4300 in game performance would be interesting to see. But for the record. Voted for Intel because Pentium Owner ^^. Daily OC is in the signature, 5 ghz on this chip needs really good cooling which I don't have to try it on a daily basis.

Hyper 212 will safely max out an FX 8370 chip.

People think they are getting a good deal when they buy FX, and they are not.

I think that the FX chips are a good deal for specific situations. Equally an i5 is a great deal for specific situations and a Pentium is a great deal for specific situations and an APU is a great deal for specific situations. For the price I paid for my 8320/motherboard and cooler I couldn't have even made an i5. An Intel CPU of the same price may outperform in gaming or something, but it wouldn't hold a candle in rendering and encoding. Each CPU has a specific use that makes the most sense.

This is why I always dislike seeing people ask vague questions about "which is bettar??", they all have advantages and disadvantages and to deny this is simply fanboyism.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Did you watch the Teksyndicate video on the refreshed cpu's? He easily got 5Gz...but like 2% performance gain xD

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

@HippY

Let me tell you about Basil.

I was at Tigerdirect one day picking up some fan filters. I couldn't help but overhear a guy my age(Basil) talking with a floor salesman.

Basil had bought a "top of the line" prebuilt from Tigerdirect and wasn't getting good performance in his games. You know the kind of prebuilt I'm talking about. $1,200 For 16GB of RAM! and 4TB of storage! The real components were an FX8350, on a 4+1 VRM motherboard no less, an H80i, and a price appropriate R9 270X. You know, builds thAt throw in a free t-shirt because they feel slightly bad about ripping off the customer like this.

Basil was talking with the salesman asking why am I getting bad performance in WoW? I bought a brand new computer just to raid and I was getting better performance on my old laptop he says. Salesman goes, "Maybe the graphics card isn't strong enough, have you tried turning your settings down?" Basil says "yes, it helps some, but still not as good as my laptop. I just paid a thousand dollars for a brand new computer and I can't even play the game I want to play." Salesman says "You probably need a stronger graphics card."

Now this is the part where I come in and tell the salesman that it's not a GPU problem, it's a CPU problem and chances are the GPU on his laptop is weaker than a 270X. I say for that game, he needs an Intel processor. The salesman and Basil both turn to me and say: "Intel? But AMD outscored Intel in cpubenchmark.net" Without a screen to hide my face when I see someone say that kind of comment I see from time to time on these very forums, I'm sure a look of dismay washed over me. I had to explain to both of them why this is a bad measurement of performance, walk over to the in store computer and bring up some WoW benchmarks and youtube videos. The problem is really clear if you just know how to look.

After talking with Basil for a little bit we strike up a friendship, he is going to the rival college in my town, but we both have the same major. Later that day we decide to meet up. I'm to go to his place, and help him pick out a new computer. It's already clear that he is returning this one and I'll help him build from scratch.

I have not used an FX processor extensively until that day, but when I did I was really aghast at how slow it seemed compared to my i5. Even running Windows was taking noticeably longer. He has a Samsung EVO SSD, and I'm on a lowly V300. I wonder if it has anything to do with most of the simple things we do on our computers being single threaded? Nah!

He showed me a quick dungeon run in WoW. I like MMOs, but not WoW so I wanted to see the end game a little. He was right, it runs terribly. Constantly hitching and going in slow mo.

What other games did he have? Gauntlet Legends? No way I love that game, I used to keep an arcade in business because I played that game so much. Oh wait, it doesn't run well in two person mode on his machine. That's a bummer... What about FIFA World? Ya! This game actually plays, except it's constantly microstuttering when you play a match that has rain or snow.

Of course this is not perfect test, and it's not a ton of time spent on an FX, but the little I saw for those games he does play, absolute garbage. I don't have a ton of time on an FX, because he returned it so fast it will make your head spin, but I have seen it and I have owned AMD processors in the past. So don't say that I have no experience because that's assuming which makes an ass of you.

I'm happy to report that Basil now has an i5 with GTX780Ti. He plays any game he wants without issue particularly WOW.

@FizzyFantom

Sure, there is a specific use for the FX, but not for gaming. It's strength is calculations. In rendering and editing an overclocked i5 vs. An overclocked FX8 are going to perform similar with the FX a little ahead. After you factor in CPU,mobo, and cooler, you absolutely paid more for your FX than a locked i5, unless you live in a 3rd world country. I'm on my kindle otherwise I'd show you a PcP of the prices in £ or € or $.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

-snip-

I could have bought a locked i5 and an H motherboard for the same price using the same cooler, but I didn't think investing in a locked i5 and a non OC board would have been a smart idea, especially with the rendering and encoding taks at the top of my list for this upgrade (from a locked dual core Clarkale i5). I have personally never had any issues with my FX CPU and neither have any of my friends who have one (admittedly we don't play WoW), but I understand your point in the story. Yes Intel are generally better in gaming, I readily accept that, but I would certainly argue that there is a place for AMD FX chips in the CPU market.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

That makes absolutely no sense.That's like saying Intel 1150 is going to be around for who know how long LOL.

Just stating on what was said. It was rumored "AM4" was ment to be out this year and we didn't even know that the 8370 was going to be released this year until roughly a month beforehand.

I could have bought a locked i5 and an H motherboard for the same price using the same cooler, but I didn't think investing in a locked i5 and a non OC board would have been a smart idea, especially with the rendering and encoding taks at the top of my list for this upgrade (from a locked dual core Clarkale i5). I have personally never had any issues with my FX CPU and neither have any of my friends who have one (admittedly we don't play WoW), but I understand your point in the story. Yes Intel are generally better in gaming, I readily accept that, but I would certainly argue that there is a place for AMD FX chips in the CPU market.

I'm not saying there isn't either, gaming just isn't one of them. For the work you do, AMD is definitely a better option.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I'm not saying there isn't either, gaming just isn't one of them. For the work you do, AMD is definitely a better option.

and here lies the biggest problem with LTT

everyone concentrating on games.

titan is bad as a 780ti is better at games... But then again if you want a entry level yet powerful WS card then there you go

im using my pc for many things at thevsame time and i like it

i know that i5 would not have a problem either

gaming is at the background for me, as i have a laptop for portable work (i7 )

And this thread was made for generating shitstorm

titan is bad as a 780ti is better at games... But then again if you want a entry level yet powerful WS card then there you go

im using my pc for many things at thevsame time and i like it

i know that i5 would not have a problem either

gaming is at the background for me, as i have a laptop for portable work (i7 )

Why games? Because that is what people are asking about 90% of the time.

And yes, this was a troll thread created by a troll who only has a loose understanding of the English language.

Why games? Because that is what people are asking about 90% of the time.

And yes, this was a troll thread created by a troll who only has a loose understanding of the English language.

is not a troll treat

many people have this same doubt (check the pull numbers, this is a fact)

and i think 50% of the people here come from a non english country friend

and mods really don't like this type of comments

is very rare i report someone, so i will not do it  :lol:

but keep this in mind friend, when you trash people for is language

(i don't care, but if i see you do this to someone else i will report you)

- - - - 

on topic

i have see 3 people with this "same" question G3258 or FX 8320

for all this, is a (very) fair topic friend

- - - - 

and this is my point  ^_^

people with this doubt (and there are many by the way)

"G3258 or FX 8320"

just need buy a "i5" from intel (if they don't want AMD) and not a "pentium" or "i3"

- - - - 

my threat help people to make the best choice (and this is good)

what you have done ?

insult all people that have AMD ?

insult the language ?

copy and paste walls of trash on really "old 1 core games" like if the people here don't see that ?

- - - - 

off topic, did you learn how the GDDR5 works after "i teach you how" in the old topic ?

i know you don't know everything friend :lol: (don't forget who i am)

@7850OC

I'm not insulting anyone from outside the U.S. I wasn't born in the U.S. and English isn't my first language. What I do have a problem with is your mastery of the English language. It is very poor and results in a lot of miscommunication and confusion. I cannot understand what you're trying to say most of the time and you create threads like this for the sake of argument,not for your own person needs.

This is a trash? Is that what you're trying to say? Topic because it's an arbitrary question that doesn't pertain to you. If someone has a question they will ask it. You don't have to ask it for them and start a troll thread in the process because that is exactly what this has devolved into.

I have helped a lot. I mean a lot of people on this forum from all around the world. I definitely have a brash way of dealing with people because sometimes what they are saying or what they try and convince others of is harmful to those asking for help and a breach of the code of conduct. The walls of text I post are well thought out, formulated arguments pulled from many different credible sources from around the internet in a wide variety of situations, not just single core games.

Yes, thank you for educating me that VRAM frequency in DDR5 can be listed as 1/4th. I did not know that DDR5 is a multiple of 4. I have always seen around the internet that it's double data rate(DDR), so the speed listed on manufacturer's websites, retailer's websites, reviewer's websites and hardware monitoring software is always half of the final value. You are the only person I know that refers to your VRAM speed as 1/4th. Everywhere else it is shown as 1/2. This is a pointless argument though because whether it is 4x or 2x the final speed is the same.

Now have you learned that VRAM capacity and VRAM speed are two different things and that you cannot increase VRAM capacity by overclocking the VRAM speed? Because where we left off you are still confused about the difference of these two things.

I keep an open mind and learn. My views are not always right but I can admit when i'm wrong when actually proven so. There is a difference between making an honest mistake and parading around with your wrong answer trying to convince others of this.

Linus his core audience are gamers, do you expect system & network engineers coming here asking for advice which cpu they should get? Such people don't need our help.

Agreed. You've been lying to people a while ago that the 8320 is only 1-2% slower than the i5 in every game.

off topic, did you learn how the GDDR5 works after "i teach you how" in the old topic ?

As far as I can remember he was right.

7GHz GDDR5 would be 3500MHz without the double data rate which is the IO bus clock. Since we're dealing with quad pumping the memory clock would be 3500/4 875MHz. GDDR5 is just a modified version of DDR3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_data_rate

Linus his core audience are gamers, do you expect system & network engineers coming here asking for advice which cpu they should get? Such people don't need our help.

Agreed. You've been lying to people a while ago that the 8320 is only 1-2% slower than the i5 in every game.

As far as I can remember he was right.

7GHz GDDR5 would be 3500MHz without the double data rate which is the IO bus clock. Since we're dealing with quad pumping the memory clock would be 3500/4 875MHz. GDDR5 is just a modified version of DDR3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_data_rate

@Faceman see what you did ? this guy thinks you're right in that old GDDR5 question, fix it, is your fault 

@7850OC

I'm not insulting anyone from outside the U.S. I wasn't born in the U.S. and English isn't my first language. What I do have a problem with is your mastery of the English language. It is very poor and results in a lot of miscommunication and confusion. I cannot understand what you're trying to say most of the time and you create threads like this for the sake of argument,not for your own person needs.

This is a trash? Is that what you're trying to say? Topic because it's an arbitrary question that doesn't pertain to you. If someone has a question they will ask it. You don't have to ask it for them and start a troll thread in the process because that is exactly what this has devolved into.

I have helped a lot. I mean a lot of people on this forum from all around the world. I definitely have a brash way of dealing with people because sometimes what they are saying or what they try and convince others of is harmful to those asking for help and a breach of the code of conduct. The walls of text I post are well thought out, formulated arguments pulled from many different credible sources from around the internet in a wide variety of situations, not just single core games.

Yes, thank you for educating me that VRAM frequency in DDR5 can be listed as 1/4th. I did not know that DDR5 is a multiple of 4. I have always seen around the internet that it's double data rate(DDR), so the speed listed on manufacturer's websites, retailer's websites, reviewer's websites and hardware monitoring software is always half of the final value. You are the only person I know that refers to your VRAM speed as 1/4th. Everywhere else it is shown as 1/2. This is a pointless argument though because whether it is 4x or 2x the final speed is the same.

Now have you learned that VRAM capacity and VRAM speed are two different things and that you cannot increase VRAM capacity by overclocking the VRAM speed? Because where we left off you are still confused about the difference of these two things.

I keep an open mind and learn. My views are not always right but I can admit when i'm wrong when actually proven so. There is a difference between making an honest mistake and parading around with your wrong answer trying to convince others of this.

@Faa

I would pick the Pentium for the sole reason of being able to swap it for a higher end Intel later down the line.

@Faceman see what you did ? this guy thinks you're right in that old GDDR5 question, fix it, is your fault 

O god, learn to read. Giving you an example; 1GHz is equal to 1GT/s transfer speed, double data rate doubles the transfer speed so that would be 2GT/s which is why they note DDR memory as 2GHz.

Now with your multiplying of 4, check the source I included, you don't cut it off the doubled transfer rate. 

no dude, I said that they are 1-2% QuickerIn some scenario than i5, not every

Battlefield 4, WoW, Bioschock infinite, Skyrim...and few other games

no dude, I said that they are 1-2% QuickerIn some scenario than i5, not every

Battlefield 4, WoW, Bioschock infinite, Skyrim...and few other games

The 8320 isn't faster than the i5 in any game.