Far Cry 4 GPU Benchmarks

BiG StroOnZ

Whats the scoop on crossfire?

After Shadows of Mordor, I dont know what to expect from newer games.

Nah Ubisoft Kiev couldn't even deliver Nvidia Hair Works monkeys at this time. This game is a stuttery mess on a OC Haswell with 2 GTX 980's. To be honest having SLI/xfire is freakin pointless in this game. It will get you 2x MSAA or 2TXAA  over SMAA, also add a little more stutter due to CPU and SMAA literally looks better at times. Somehow the AA is directly tied to CPU like Unity. MSAA sharpens the trees too much. TXAA blurs the picture too much. SMAA actually is a pretty good balance and no AA (just like Unity) is where the game will perform best. 

Basically OC a Haswell as high as you can and if you don't have one that can OC, don't bother getting this game unless you plan to run no AA and other options not at ultra, just like AC Unity. Mine prob runs better than Total Biscuit's hexa due to my OC and way better than the "benchmark video" shown here and I am on a R9 290. Nvidia God Rays? No performance hit for me. Soft Shadows same, but I think Ultra looks better.  Taking off motion blur can make the driving a little more bearable. 

None of the Nvidia option hurt performance at all for me except for Tree tessellation which was just added and I can only imagine was added to give Nvidia cards an edge. It is literally the most pointless setting in the world. You have to walk up to a tree stick your face right up to it, to notice it and it still makes damn near zero difference. If you are a couple feet away from a tree you literally can't tell at all. This is why CDPR refused Nvidia's input on using tessellation for everything in Witcher 3. They are using it on water only, cus that is about the only place it can make a difference. 

Well shit.  My timing is a minute or two off from being too perfect </3

Wrong. My 290 Tri-x blows away the 780's in this game. This benchmark is pre AMD patch which was before release of the game. It also is a complete farce on VRAM usage. This game will not get to 3 gigs let alone 4. Ultra SMAA. every single Nvidia setting checked (god rays. fur, soft shadows) and I get higher FPS than this clown gets in his video. Even staring at 3 monkeys with fur lol and the most cpu bound areas in this game are the village and the vehicles. Why? Cus my 4770k is faster on single core. The game is cpu bound. Want more screenshots? 

Anyone else's bullshit detector going off? This isn't a amd vs nvidia thing. This is a ubisoft is well known for making nvidia optimized games and the 780 OC vs 290 OC the 780 will win 9/10 times anyway. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Oh and everyone who thinks it's a stuttery mess try using a game pad. For some reason many major release game have been having issues with mouse and keyboard input lately. COD AW was the worst case.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Whats the scoop on crossfire?

After Shadows of Mordor, I dont know what to expect from newer games.

From AMD:

The AMD CrossFire™ profile for Far Cry 4 is currently disabled in this driver while AMD works with Ubisoft to investigate an issue where AMD CrossFire™ configurations are not performing as intended. An update is expected on this issue in the near future through an updated game patch or an AMD driver posting.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-11-2-BetaWINReleaseNotes.aspx

It's going to be awhile, just like Watch_Dogs

Might actually pick up a Xbox one for christmas =/ game doesn't even load correctly I tried everything.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Anyone else's bullshit detector going off? This isn't a amd vs nvidia thing. This is a ubisoft is well known for making nvidia optimized games and the 780 OC vs 290 OC the 780 will win 9/10 times anyway. 

How many more screenshots do you want? Want me to put Riva tuner on so you can see that his claim of 4 gigs of VRAM is an absolute lie. Want to know what game uses all 4 gigs of my VRAM? Shadows of Mordor. This game doesn't come close.Try using youtube and searching for 980's and GTX 970's playing the game on ultra and look at the VRAM usage. Find me one at 1080p with ultra even getting to 3. I challenge you.  Also try to find video of driving a 4 wheeler which will stutter on King Pin's GTX 980's and which Total Biscuit said in his video... It is CPU bound buddy. He wasn't even driving the 4 wheeler at full speed and it was stuttering lol. 

You are calling me out on BS when this game uses mid 2 gigs of VRAM on PAST ultra settings and this video "benchmark" claimed 4 (outright lie) and Total Biscut made like 20 posts and a audio blog saying he had to play the game with NO AA on his GTX 980 to be bearable with little to no stuttering?

Oh and everyone who thinks it's a stuttery mess try using a game pad. For some reason many major release game have been having issues with mouse and keyboard input lately. COD AW was the worst case.

That is because you are turning slower on an inferior controller. This game is cpu bound like Unity. When you turn to fast on a vehicle or even in first person depending if you were lower than say a I5 K, it will stutter. Also happens when you sprint around the open world and a NPC spawns etc. Do you crawl around the world turning slow with a console controller? Cus that is the only way you are not getting stutter.

Also asking us to use a game pad in a FPS game is hilarious. 

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/954203-Terrible-stuttering-most-noticeable-while-driving-poor-texture-streaming

"Having the same issue. It's usually buttery smooth @60fps. When I'm driving I get the same stuttering issues when moving through the environment and fps dips for a second or two.

i5 3570k OC'd to 4.2GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 970 4GB OC'd to 1300MHz boost"
SMAA

"i7 2600k OC'd to 4.5GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 980 4GB OC'd to 1265MHz, 1510MHz boost
250GB SSD (there goes that myth)

I noticed that, if I turn Textures all the way down to Medium, these stutters are mostly gone. All other settings can remain at High

"Stuttering here also, PC spec in signature

Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.80GHZ=Asus Sabertooth Mark I Z97=Avexir Blitz 1.1 White Original 16GB 2500MHZ=
=Asus Xonar Phoebus + Backplate=Asus GTX 980 DCU2 Strix 4GB 1500/200"

Graph showing GPU usage on above rig.

f52BL6d.png

Keep blaming AMD though Ubisoft, and doing it through third party bloggers who LIE about VRAM usage and post phony benchmarks.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Damn that R9 270x looks like a damn good card for the money

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

eh? That seems right to me, 290x/780 trade blows on a lot of games. The performance like it scaled properly. 

Stuttering. I'm pretty sensitive to this.

270x and 290 nonX both perform GREAT, perfectly acceptable FPS (for the cards ability) yet on both, stutter is RIPE an hugely distracting.

ESP the left to right movements.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Digging has officially been put on hold.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Just have to wait for some new drivers then. :)

Side note. Love the 'Medium' test. 270x vs. 290x...

W1 | X4 965 | 4x2GB | HD7950 | 550w | 240GBx2

My 2gb 680 runs it on ultra/nvidia settings with no aa with pretty good fps 40-60

It should have no effect then having more VRAM.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

looks good for my 780ti

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

so will amd cards not be able to use some ultra(nvidia) settings? like god rays. fur, soft shadows...

this kinda seems like advertising but idk might just be me :S

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

If your game has minimum FPS under 30 on a GTX 970/980, and it looks like this, you should send your entire team back to school.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Can the mods remove this BS "benchmark" with no proof of an actual benchmark actually being done, that is so far from reality it isn't funny? We already know that the AMD cards are close in this game, and Ultra Plus here has tree tessellation which actually makes the trees shadows/profile worse, and was a late addition to the game. As I said before in this post, these "benchmarks" are so far from the truth it is pitiful.

BTW mods this AMD driver was out before official release of the game...

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/far-cry-4-test-gpu.html

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

Tree Tessellation enabled which no one should be running since it looks awful and it cripples performance on AMD cards for no reason. All it does it make trees look silly and screw up the shadows. HBAO + looks nice. PCSS is a an equal performance hit to my R9 290 along with Ultra shadows and looks worse. Nvidia God Rays or "enhanced" looks VERY good imo.

1440p. No single GPU card can run Ultra + at this resolution at a locked 60. They can't even do Ultra at a locked 60. This is also not taking stutter into account which isn't even good on Ultra at 1080p.

4k.

AMD should get a damn medal for optimizing a closed library (Nvidia Game Works). Instead we have fake benchmarks on LTT's main news section and what makes that benchmark even more pathetic, is it was done BEFORE Ubisoft/Nvidia even added tree tessellation (which is optional), so his benchmarks should be neck and neck. 

This would be why the game stutters. Not because of AMD...

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Hmm that's two websites now which show the 280x beating the 780 in Far Cry 4. Didn't see that one coming. You expect the 780 to be at 290 performance level or thereabouts.

Hope Nvidia gets there drivers sorted asap...

This fixed studdering for me: (btw using a school iPad as I'm at school).

post-50860-0-62319000-1416505235_thumb.j

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Another Ubi game that hates AMD cards. 

An NVIDIA sponsored title made by Ubisoft. Hardly surprising.  :D

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Hmm that's two websites now which show the 280x beating the 780 in Far Cry 4. Didn't see that one coming. You expect the 780 to be at 290 performance level or thereabouts.

Hope Nvidia gets there drivers sorted asap...

Yeah because I'm going to trust any source that has a 280x beating a 780... in an NVIDIA GamesWorks title nonetheless  :rolleyes:

1087a0l.png

2mm7fqg.png

These are with the Catalyst 14.11.2 beta, So maxed out settings and latest drivers for both camps.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Far-Cry-4-PC-256888/Specials/Technik-Test-Benchmark-1143026/