All PC Gamers Are Pirates Says Ubisoft Executive

Dicehunter

I've never pirated anything, but this very statement makes me want to pirate every ubisoft game in existance.

"Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about"

Heh, maybe we should convince our console cousins to join us in this fight for non-crappy games.

I've never pirated anything, but this very statement makes me want to pirate every ubisoft game in existance.

"Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about"

Heh, maybe we should convince our console cousins to join us in this fight for non-crappy games.

This... We should join with the "peasants" against Ubisoft. It's easy, just don't buy anything from them. 

This... We should join with the "peasants" against Ubisoft. It's easy, just don't buy anything from them. 

The PC master race idiots have made it very clear, they dont want anything to do with "peasants". luckily for me, i play both pc and console, so i can do what i please.

The PC master race idiots have made it very clear, they dont want anything to do with "peasants". luckily for me, i play both pc and console, so i can do what i please.

That's what I put that between " ". I hate that too, I come from consoles and they are awesome. Now i'm on PC, because I like it but I still love my PS3 and Xbox 360, I would love to have a PS4, but i got tired of paying for online with Xbox Live with my 360.

If you played Assassins creed Black Flag then you will know the truth, Abstergo Entertainment is Ubisoft there for the CEO's are Templers!

Cry Havoc!

2012 called, they wanted their news back.

This isn't the older news that's pretty much the same, It was said again.

If you watch the video Unity is mentioned which wasn't announced 2 years ago.

Battle.Net - Dicehunter#2746

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

TBH with the recent Unity fiasco and the multiple fuck-ups on Ubisofts end I am really surprised that people still buy their shit. How many times can people get burned before they stop sinking money into that black hole is beyond me, but ya know, casuals really like to perpetuate the shitty game market for god knows what. Lack of education on how good it can be I guess.

Also the "cinematic" and "artistic vision" bullshit PR and Marketing love to throw around for profit has been on my nerves since that Victorian era zombie PS4 showcase game (whatever it was called, don't really care. 60 FPS is better than 20 or 30 FPS, bar some very, very exclusive exceptions (South Park I'm looking at you)).

The main problem with Ubisoft and all these other greedy as fuck companies is that people are getting pulled into a psychological hole where they've spent so much time, effort and money that it's just easier to lie to themselves and say its "going to get better", while in the meantime everyone is screaming at them because their metaphorical house is on fire. People constantly defend them and buy their shit because they still cling to the hope that all that spendature wasn't in vain. It's got all the hallmarks of an abusive relationship, tbh.

Ubisoft is the perfect poster child of modern capitalism. They take your money, they screw you over, they make empty promises, they screw you over again, they force micro transactions to get more money from you, they make more empty promises and maybe give some empty apology for screwing you over, then people still buy their games regardless, repeat cycle again.

Heck, I can't believe people are still pre-ordering! 

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Ubisoft is the perfect poster child of modern capitalism. They take your money, they screw you over, they make empty promises, they screw you over again, they force micro transactions to get more money from you, they make more empty promises and maybe give some empty apology for screwing you over, then people still buy their games regardless, repeat cycle again.

Heck, I can't believe people are still pre-ordering! 

Sounds like Ubisoft CEO's are the perfect people to run your country then, after all it can't get worst right and Australia might even get better internet as Ubisoft what's you to buy and play their games muuhaaaaaa! :blink:

Cry Havoc!

Sounds like Ubisoft CEO's or the perfect people to run your country then, after all it can't get worst right and Austrlia might even get better internet as Ubisoft what you to buy and play their game muuhaaaaaa! :blink:

Wuh....?

Can you rewrite that sentence in a coherent manner?

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

According to a guy on Reddit who claims to be an ex employee of Ubisoft said that one of the top guys at Ubisoft *Yves Guillemot Co-founder And Chief Executive* said he doesn't care about PC because all PC gamers are pirates.

Not sure if this is real or not but this isn't the first ex-employee to expose what game companies say and do

I'm pretty sure a they advertised assassin's creed 4 in this way..ahem....."take on the role of a "pirate" and take to the seas."

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

The fact that you're still giving them the benefit of the doubt for their games is the reason they keep surviving. People need to STOP. Wait for a game to come out. Wait for reviews.  -snip-

I havent bought a Ubisoft game for years (fable 1), not even the Assassins Creed games. (pirated the ac 1 and 2, utter poop if you ask me.)

The Division is the lets say the only videogame Ubisoft touched me, but that was a long trailer, sort of...short game play, etc.

Now if the game will even come out, I will be looking at Totalbiscuit review.

Honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about here.  Ubisoft makes games that a lot of people enjoy and are willing to pay for.  how does that make them evil?

I am extremely choosy about what games I purchase.  If a game gets poor reviews, I don't buy it.  Nobody is forcing me to buy anything here.  In fact, the video game industry is still one of the least regulated industries, which is great because it allows competition and free market principles to push the industry forward so fast.  Ubisoft is a key player because they make fun games that people are willing to purchase.  there is no evil at play.  putting micro transactions in a game is not evil, its a way for players and developers to exchange resources in a win-win situation.  

Calling pc gamers pirates is bad form though.  It shows a pretty serious lack of understanding on the part of the executives.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

putting micro transactions in a game is not evil, its a way for players and developers to exchange resources in a win-win situation.  

Putting micro transactions in a $69.99 game IS evil. Content that should just be in the $69.99 game is now being sold for a dollar here, a dollar there. If the content was ready to go at launch, why is it not included? It's abusive to consumers if they start taking content out just so they can sell it to you later, the more this becomes an accepted practice the more content that is going to be missing from your FULL PRICE game. Your right, nobody is forcing you to buy it, and you shouldn't buy it, but that doesn't make it OK.

Just look at Destiny, from what I've heard and read the game shipped pretty bare bones but they already had DLC packs ready to go.

Putting micro transactions in a $69.99 game IS evil. Content that should just be in the $69.99 game is now being sold for a dollar here, a dollar there. If the content was ready to go at launch, why is it not included? It's abusive to consumers if they start taking content out just so they can sell it to you later, the more this becomes an accepted practice the more content that is going to be missing from your FULL PRICE game. Your right, nobody is forcing you to buy it, and you shouldn't buy it, but that doesn't make it OK.

Just look at Destiny, from what I've heard and read the game shipped pretty bare bones but they already had DLC packs ready to go.

How is it evil?  There is no coercion involved.  It's a free transaction which you can make or not make, according to your own preferences.  Nobody owes you a game at a certain price with certain features.  that is very dangerous thinking.

Ubisoft made a game, you bought it and didn't like it, so probably next time you will not buy their game.  You bought it knowing the risk involved.  There are no satisfaction guarantees when purchasing digital content.  So they implemented a business model you don't agree with, so what. don't buy it.  stop acting like they owe you anything.  they don't.

A lot of people like the free-to-play model, and a lot of people hate it.  as long as enough people like it enough to pay for content, the model will continue.  as soon as it stops being profitable, it will cease to exist.  same goes for every other business model.  

You are free to complain all you want, but you are dead wrong in saying its evil.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Pretty much.

The dumbest thing I ever did was redeem that stupid "expansion pass" when I opened my $100 version of Destiny. I gave the game the benefit of the doubt, being a Bungie fan for over 15 years. I redeemed that code before I even popped the disk in the tray.

Had I not done that, I would have tossed the whole package up on eBay for $80 two weeks after release. Sure, I would have been out $20... but now I could probably only sell it for $40 and I may as well keep it as a reminder of my own stupidity at this point.

This kind of BS is why I much prefer supporting companies like Klei Entertainment and Bethesda. At least from what I've heard of BSG, most of the people who work there actually enjoy their jobs and making the games that they make.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Also, why shouldn't AAA titles cost more?  the investment in development is huge, and the final product is impressive.  If they want to sell additional content, you can buy it if you like it or not buy it if you don't think its worth it.

I bought Titanfall, but I don't think I'll buy any more DLC packs because I don't think its worth my money for what I get.  That doesn't make them evil.  And if the price for extra content gets too high, sales will fall and competitors will offer something at a better price.  its all basic free market economics. there is no evil involved.  please stop using the same word that is used to describe serial killers, mass murderers, rapists, child abductors, warlords, Hitler, etc.

PC Build

Desk Build

How is it evil?  There is no coercion involved.  It's a free transaction which you can make or not make, according to your own preferences.  Nobody owes you a game at a certain price with certain features.  that is very dangerous thinking.

Ubisoft made a game, you bought it and didn't like it, so probably next time you will not buy their game.  You bought it knowing the risk involved.  There are no satisfaction guarantees when purchasing digital content.  So they implemented a business model you don't agree with, so what. don't buy it.  stop acting like they owe you anything.  they don't.

A lot of people like the free-to-play model, and a lot of people hate it.  as long as enough people like it enough to pay for content, the model will continue.  as soon as it stops being profitable, it will cease to exist.  same goes for every other business model.  

You are free to complain all you want, but you are dead wrong in saying its evil.

If you really don't see anything wrong with a company putting micro transactions into a FULL price game at launch then your must be either ignorant or work for Ubisoft . The coercion is putting additional pay content (guns, XP, skins, whatever) into a game that you may want when you already paid full price for it

They DO owe me something if I purchase something from them. A quality, functioning, complete product. You and large corporations may want to pretend thats not the case, but it is. And as a consumer it's what I demand when I spend my hard earned money on your product. These companies, and apparently you, seem to think consumer rights aren't a thing anymore, but I like to think otherwise.

Yes, micro transactions are fine in free to play but how is a $69.99 initial buy-in free to play?

I won't be purchasing any micro-transactions, but that doesn't change the fact that it's offensive to me as a consumer that they would put micro-transactions into a FULL price game at launch. They are specifically leaving content out in order to try and get more money out of the consumer. They're a company, that's their objective, I get it but at this point it crosses the line from capitalism to blatant exploitation and greed.

You're dead wrong saying that it's OK to have micro-transactions in a full price game at launch. Before you start spouting off about "owing" and "complaining" and "business models" you should make an effort to understand what your talking about.

Also, why shouldn't AAA titles cost more?  the investment in development is huge, and the final product is impressive.  If they want to sell additional content, you can buy it if you like it or not buy it if you don't think its worth it.

I bought Titanfall, but I don't think I'll buy any more DLC packs because I don't think its worth my money for what I get.  That doesn't make them evil.  And if the price for extra content gets too high, sales will fall and competitors will offer something at a better price.  its all basic free market economics. there is no evil involved.  please stop using the same word that is used to describe serial killers, mass murderers, rapists, child abductors, warlords, Hitler, etc.

AAA Titles already cost more than normal releases. Most indie games are priced at 15-25$ some 35$ if it is a big one (like wasteland 2). But charging 69,99$ for a title in the Alpha-State, which Unity is currently in -  where i get more fun out of pretty much any free to play game out there and including micro-transactions is just ridiculous. 

To be honest the press doesn't understand what a AAA-Title is. They apparently think it is any game by a big publisher, where as it is by it's original definition a game that is way above the average. Would i call ACU a AAA-Title? Definitly not. I am willing to spend a lot of money for games, but then it should really be AAA. 

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth costs 15$, there are no noticable bugs, it is a hell of a lot fun -  and has a lot of depth into it. And although i really doesn't like rogue-like games (hardcore games like DS yes, but not rogue-like), TBoI is closer to a AAA-Title than ACU ever will be.

And to be honest, if you don't think differently about the way this company treats you as a customer, then get screwed over by them over and over again.

ACU is ludacris. It is a title, that other developers wouldn't even think of releasing. Compared to this game, EA did a better job with their games -  which were already in a horrible state when released. ACU is extremly anti-consumer, and frankly it shows me again why i am boycotting Ubisoft since the DRM -  always online stuff. 

If you really don't see anything wrong with a company putting micro transactions into a FULL price game at launch then your must be either ignorant or work for Ubisoft . The coercion is putting additional pay content (guns, XP, skins, whatever) into a game that you may want when you already paid full price for it

They DO owe me something if I purchase something from them. A quality, functioning, complete product. You and large corporations may want to pretend thats not the case, but it is. And as a consumer it's what I demand when I spend my hard earned money on your product. These companies, and apparently you, seem to think consumer rights aren't a thing anymore, but I like to think otherwise.

Yes, micro transactions are fine in free to play but how is a $69.99 initial buy-in free to play?

I won't be purchasing any micro-transactions, but that doesn't change the fact that it's offensive to me as a consumer that they would put micro-transactions into a FULL price game at launch. They are specifically leaving content out in order to try and get more money out of the consumer. They're a company, that's their objective, I get it but at this point it crosses the line from capitalism to blatant exploitation and greed.

You're dead wrong saying that it's OK to have micro-transactions in a full price game at launch. Before you start spouting off about "owing" and "complaining" and "business models" you should make an effort to understand what your talking about.

So you really think micro transactions are coercive?  like if you don't buy them you'll be fined, or go to jail, or otherwise threatened?  I think you may want to check your wording a bit, it doesn't make any sense.

Sure, if you purchase a game, they owe you a game, and there are certain implications that the game is functioning and complete etc.  But there is a fine line somewhere between being owed the original game and being owed additional content.  GIven that consumers' desires are infinite, and companies desires for more money is infinite, there will always be some back and forth between paying more or less for the same content.  thats how the market works.  One year, you're getting x amount of content for $50, and the next you are getting less, and the year after you are getting more.  It's not evil.  If you think its a bad deal to pay $70 for a game then have to pay another $30 in digital content, then don't buy it.  and again, I'm not saying you shouldn't complain.  I don't like it either.  I would much rather pay the up front price and be done.  I won't be buying any $70 games that are full of micro transactions, unless its some kind of all time best ever video game with all kinds of new innovation etc.  then maybe I'd pay that much.

My point is, its not evil.  its a market, and you dont have to like it, but its not evil.  By all means, spread the word as much as you can if you feel they are being sneaky or greedy or whatever.  but its not evil.  It's perfectly fine, and its exactly the way it should happen. 

You see, if Ubisoft keeps bad mouthing gamers, and keeps cranking up prices in a sneaky way, they'll be making room for another developer to takes its market share.  this is a good thing!  talent from Ubisoft will be poached by other studios to make awesome games that are not over priced or sneaky.  This kind of free market competition is the reason video games exist in the first place! its why we have computers at all!  its wonderful and glorious and exalting and raises people out of poverty etc.  its not evil man, seriously.  its freakin' awesome.

PC Build

Desk Build

You got me, I don't actually believe they are evil. I only used evil because you asked how that was evil in your first post.

I bought BF4 premium, and felt it was good value for money. Buying DLC that is developed after launch is different than having normally included items set as micro transactions. But it's not quite basic free market economics, is Rockstar or Bethesda or id going to make their own Far Cry 4 so I can buy that one instead?

But yes, Ubisoft is not as bad as Hitler. Good job Ubisoft!

Micro transactions should not be in a single player $60 game even if it has online capability, By all means put it into a Free 2 Play game but leave the $60 games alone, It's just pure greed.

Battle.Net - Dicehunter#2746

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

This kind of free market competition is the reason video games exist in the first place! its why we have computers at all!  its wonderful and glorious and exalting and raises people out of poverty etc.  its not evil man, seriously.  its freakin' awesome.

OK, now I'm convinced you're either Yves Guillemot or Donald Trump.