Holiday 2014 Buyer's Guide - Full Component List

Yes it does, quad SLI even (with dual gpu cards of course).

Sorry I was looking at the ASUS z97-a not the z87

Since the 6TB green drive was more than twice as much as the 3TB drive, why didn't he just put two 3TB drives in RAID 0? Would have had much more performance. Is the reliability of HDDs that much in question?

Since the 6TB green drive was more than twice as much as the 3TB drive, why didn't he just put two 3TB drives in RAID 0? Would have had much more performance. Is the reliability of HDDs that much in question?

More performance doesn't matter for a storage drive, since you're playing back media from it, and the decreased reliability of the onboard raid controller makes the tradeoff iffy.

Simplicity also has its benefits as well.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Won't the Pentium K require a BIOS flash to work on the H81-board? :wacko:

Asus boards allow you to flash the bios without a cpu. 

Some people on this forum said that Intel released a microcode to prevent from OC on H81. Can anyone confirm this?

I'd like to know that myself.... 

The only thing that I can find refers to Intel releasing a microde back in June 2013 blocking it on non z87 boards. But I know people who have oc'd since then....So

Great list, these pcs will crush games and give a great Windows experience too.

I can't in good conscience suggest anyone ever build a new computer without a ssd for their OS. They're that good.

The misinformation in this thread is hilarious.

What misinformation? I really don't see how the builds Linus came up with beat the three (four) that I linked a page or two back. (with the exception of the first build where I opt'd for a more powerful gpu/cpu over an ssd)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/250410-holiday-2014-buyers-guide-full-component-list/?p=3434732

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

What misinformation? I really don't see how the builds Linus came up with beat the three (four) that I linked a page or two back. (with the exception of the first build where I opt'd for a more powerful gpu/cpu over an ssd)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/250410-holiday-2014-buyers-guide-full-component-list/?p=3434732

Created a thread about it and I don't get any answers at all. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/250653-pentium-g3258-and-h81-help/#

Internet search gives mixed answers aswell. Some say it is overclockable, some say it is required to have a Z board. 

Pretty much. Also, why not just try to drop an ssd in her computer now and see how that works out; it might make it fast enough to easily be usable. 

It's an HP piece of junk. I'd still have to buy a new OS and since it's so old I might as well just build her a new rig all together.

that too!

Because most games only use 2 cores, so having a very highly overclocked pentium will outperform a lower clocked i5 in games that do not take advantage of quad core (ie 90%)

The i5 is beneficial as most normal users may have multiple things open, multiple browser windows, itunes music, a youtube video, skype etc etc etc

the newer i3s are really very good, and a great option for a budget PC especially if you can pair it with fast storage/ssd

That's my concern. She never closes anything throughout the day and always ends up with like, 20 windows open (roughly).

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Created a thread about it and I don't get any answers at all. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/250653-pentium-g3258-and-h81-help/#

Internet search gives mixed answers aswell. Some say it is overclockable, some say it is required to have a Z board.

AFAIK it's still overclockable. Are you running the latest Bios? 

Keep in mind, a lot of people who suggest it's not overclockable never knew you could overclock on anything other than Z boards. 

It's an HP piece of junk. I'd still have to buy a new OS and since it's so old I might as well just build her a new rig all together.

That's my concern. She never closes anything throughout the day and always ends up with like, 20 windows open (roughly).

I understand, but since you plan on getting an ssd anyway, it's worth a shot to just start off with that. (why would you have to buy a new os) @Trik'Stari

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Most of your stuff is nitpicky at best. Not choosing a ssd for any build is a travesty IMHO, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I have about 5 gaming computers of various builds, and I'll take a bit lower gpu to put in a ssd all day long. They are literally that much better.

The pentium you picked in the first build is a superficial change over the anni edition. My anni edition OCs to about 4.2 ghz and keeps pace in games with my 4670k. Literally. As in zero framerate difference(both computers have 760s).

For the second build theirs is on the lower side of 900-1000, yours is on the higher. Both are good builds.

As for the expensive one, they're almost exactly the same. The only real difference is the higher chip in yours, which someone can easily choose instead if they have a bit more money.

Mountains out of molehills basically.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Most of your stuff is nitpicky at best. Not choosing a ssd for any build is a travesty IMHO, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I have about 5 gaming computers of various builds, and I'll take a bit lower gpu to put in a ssd all day long. They are literally that much better.

The pentium you picked in the first build is a superficial change over the anni edition. My anni edition OCs to about 4.2 ghz and keeps pace in games with my 4670k. Literally. As in zero framerate difference(both computers have 760s).

For the second build theirs is on the lower side of 900-1000, yours is on the higher. Both are good builds.

As for the expensive one, they're almost exactly the same. The only real difference is the higher chip in yours, which someone can easily choose instead if they have a bit more money.

Mountains out of molehills basically.

Well, I can understand sacrificing performance for an ssd; but on such a tight budget -- for a gaming computer; I'd rather have slightly longer load times and significantly better in-game performance. 

An i3 isn't a superficial change over a pentium; a pentium is a stop-gap, which shouldn't be used as a permanent solution but rather as a temporary solution until it can be replaced with an i5/i7. An i3 on the other hand can be used as a more permanent solution in a low-ish system. Yes, a G3258 is an excellent cpu for any games that don't use more than two cores; however, games that use more than two cores will benefit from the i3. 

knock my $1000 build down to an i5-4460, it will perform better than a 6300 and be on the lower side of $900-1000.

The high end one isn't too bad, other than still recommending a Z87 board, which isn't any cheaper than a solid z97 board, but does require the user to do a bios update. 

Not to mention I fail to see any reason to utilize greens over blues, or a shotty psu+case combo as in the low end build, or the Corsair psu bias. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($238.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($227.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($556.80 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN822N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($18.59 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1991.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-14 14:09 EST-0500

Another alternative to the Cooler Master HAF 932 is the Rosewill Thor V2, or the Rosewill Armor-Evo and Cooler Master HAF 912 if you want a Mid Tower case instead.

Regarding the "Game On" parts list, I personally would go with a singe 980 (or Rx 300 series if and when they come out) and use the savings to get an i7-4790K and possibly OCed RAM (nothing overkill, 2133 MHz CAS 9 and it's only $30-$40 USD more). Also, I have heard that HDDs larger than 2 TB have a higher chance of failure due to more moving parts (more specifically; more platters and more heads, etc, source: have long since forgotten), although how much higher is up for debate.

You might be thinking "no games take advantage of Intel's HyperThreading", that used to be the case. Now, there are quite a few games that use all 8 threads. These games, in my personal experience, include Minecraft (as of 1.8), Kerbal Space Program (as of v0.24), ArcheAge (basically a poor man's World of Warcraft), The Sims 3 (I don't play it, my sister does) and maybe War Thunder. Other games that may or may not use HT include BattleField 4 (?), Shadow of Mordor (?), and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (not confirmed, can also be called Call for Money: Recycled Warfare xD )
(Text after this point is LTT forum exclusive :P )

Why would Linus even suggest WD Green Drives, especially in such high end (albeit unbalanced) builds? As other people have already suggested, a better choce would have been WD Blue/Black or SeaGate Barracuda. Also, it's a personal preference of mine that the case I use in a build has support for a fan on the side panel for graphics card ventilation (Yes, I know the "Game Now" build has support for side panel ventilation, but the cases I have in mind support bigger fans and/or more of them). I may or may not add on to this wall of text at a later time.

(Disclaimer: I posted the following text on this particular video already on youtube)

Mayonnaise is an instrument!  

Current Build - Ryzen 7 3800x (eco mode enabled), MSI B550M MAG Mortar, G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2x16) 3200 14-14-14-34, EVGA 2060 KO Ultra, EVGA G2 550W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)

Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($174.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($227.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($556.80 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Amazon)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN822N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($18.59 @ OutletPC)

Another alternative to the Cooler Master HAF 932 is the Rosewill Thor V2, or the Rosewill Armor-Evo and Cooler Master HAF 912 if you want a Mid Tower case instead.

(Disclaimer: I posted the following text on this particular video already

Regarding the "Game On" parts list, I personally would go with a singe 980 (or Rx 300 series if and when they come out) and use the savings to get an i7-4790K and possibly OCed RAM (nothing overkill, 2133 MHz CAS 9 and it's only $30-$40 USD more). Also, I have heard that HDDs larger than 2 TB have a higher chance of failure due to more moving parts (more specifically; more platters and more heads, etc, source: have long since forgotten), although how much higher is up for debate.

You might be thinking "no games take advantage of Intel's HyperThreading", that used to be the case. Now, there are quite a few games that use all 8 threads. These games, in my personal experience, include Minecraft (as of 1.8), Kerbal Space Program (as of v0.24), ArcheAge (basically a poor man's World of Warcraft), The Sims 3 (I don't play it, my sister does) and maybe War Thunder. Other games that may or may not use HT include BattleField 4 (?), Shadow of Mordor (?), and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (not confirmed, can also be called Call for Money: Recycled Warfare xD )

Why would Linus even suggest WD Green Drives, especially in such high end (albeit unbalanced) builds? As other people have already suggested, a better choce would have been WD Blue/Black or SeaGate Barracuda. Also, it's a personal preference of mine that the case I use in a build has support for a fan on the side panel for graphics card ventilation (Yes, I know the "Game Now" build has support for side panel ventilation, but the cases I have in mind support bigger fans and/or more of them). I may or may not add on to this wall of text at a later time.

There is so little point in getting overclocked Ram for gaming. The difference is negligible (as latency/timings increase); not to mention higher clocked RAM usually adversely affects CPU overclocking (you can often achieve a higher overclock on the cpu with ram running at 1600 vs. 2400). 

Dual 970s is significantly faster than a single 980 and only like $150 more; and the 300 series isn't out yet...so it shouldn't really be considered at this time (especially in a holiday buyers guide). 

The number of games that truly benefit from an i7 over an i5 are few and far between. As time goes on more will come out; but by the time it really matters you'll be upgrading it anyway. Although, at around the $2000~ mark one probably should be getting an i7 anyway...

ugh ew oh god...side panel fans...no...just no. I want a window to see my sexy hardware; especially if I'm spending $1000~; and window'd fan mounts need to die. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

The ~ $1000 build is meh...I think this list is a much better overall in terms of value.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8fXpFT

CPU - Intel Core i5 4690K (~ $215)
Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO (~ $32)
MB - ASUS Z97-A (~ $140)

RAM - G.SKILL Ares 8 GB @ 1600 Mhz (~ $72)
SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB (~ $100 - $110)
HDD - WD Blue 1 TB (~ $69)

GPU - ASUS Strix GTX970 (~ $350)

Case - Fractal Design Core 3500 (~ $50) or Windowed (~ $60)

PSU - Corsair CX600M (~ $69)

Total is about $1097.

The ~ $1000 build is meh...I think this list is a much better overall in terms of value.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8fXpFT

CPU - Intel Core i5 4690K (~ $215)

Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO (~ $32)

MB - ASUS Z97-A (~ $140)

RAM - G.SKILL Ares 8 GB @ 1600 Mhz (~ $72)

SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB (~ $100 - $110)

HDD - WD Blue 1 TB (~ $69)

GPU - ASUS Strix GTX970 (~ $350)

Case - Fractal Design Core 3500 (~ $50) or Windowed (~ $60)

PSU - Corsair CX600M (~ $69)

Total is about $1097.

Swap the 970 out for a 290 and you're within budget and maintaining a very similar performance :P 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Swap the 970 out for a 290 and you're within budget and maintaining a very similar performance :P

But the GTX 970 is so much better in terms of power efficiency and it performs like a boss xD

But the GTX 970 is so much better in terms of power efficiency and it performs like a boss xD

Performance between a 970 and 290 are very similar (efficiency excluded); and it's only fair if you stay within the given budgets :P

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

(Disclaimer: I posted the following text on this particular video already on youtube)

I disagree with the i7, GTX980, WD black, 840EVO, Case and PSU. 

Yes some games do benefit from the i7 and "hyperthreading". How much? Not enough for me to suggest an i7 for a gaming PC. 

Good cooler and motherboard, altough in my opinion you spend to much on the motherboard. There are cheaper boards that got about the same features that matter for gamers. The audio is relatively of the same quality, it got a killer NIC and it supports SLI. 

Higher clocked RAM only matters so far in BF4, where it gets like 5-10 FPS more depending on resolution and other settings. No need to spend that extra money again. 

The 840 EVO is not a bad SSD, but there are cheaper and just as good if not better performing drives on the market. 

The WD Black compared to the WD Green in performance does indeed win. But you have to understand how HDDs work before you can say "black is better!". It is, but only for when you read/write a lot to it and/or use it for professional useage. For gaming, please go away with it. The WD green is perfectly fine. 

GTX980 loses hard time vs GTX970 SLI. As well price / performance the 970s win by a large amount. End of discussion. 

Your idea about the extra fan options for the case is fair enough. If you run 3 R9-290Xs or something, then sure. You want to have a good ventilated  case. You seem to forget that you suggest a GTX980. A card that doesn't even NEED cooling when playing games like League of Legends. As it can play games passively cooled. So the Phanteks Pro is fine. As well, that case got PLENTY of air flow to begin with. You can have 2 140s as front intake with 2 120s at the HDD cages for the GPUs to get a lot of air. 

PSU isn't that bad, but there are better options for the price. EVGA supernova G2. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Well, I can understand sacrificing performance for an ssd; but on such a tight budget -- for a gaming computer; I'd rather have slightly longer load times and significantly better in-game performance.

An i3 isn't a superficial change over a pentium; a pentium is a stop-gap, which shouldn't be used as a permanent solution but rather as a temporary solution until it can be replaced with an i5/i7. An i3 on the other hand can be used as a more permanent solution in a low-ish system. Yes, a G3258 is an excellent cpu for any games that don't use more than two cores; however, games that use more than two cores will benefit from the i3.

knock my $1000 build down to an i5-4460, it will perform better than a 6300 and be on the lower side of $900-1000.

The high end one isn't too bad, other than still recommending a Z87 board, which isn't any cheaper than a solid z97 board, but does require the user to do a bios update.

Not to mention I fail to see any reason to utilize greens over blues, or a shotty psu+case combo as in the low end build, or the Corsair psu bias.

I'm still not seeing anything more than nitpicking. As someone with ssd based os and ssd based games, and platter based os and games right now in my house, I am saying I will gladly take a fidelity hit and get a lower card like a 260x(I have a 650ti myself) because the difference between ssd and platter for Windows and loading times is do much more noticeable than increasing gfx settings a little bit. All I do on that system is either load up a game or load up twitch. The difference is still huge.

I'm sorry you're just wrong about the g3258. There's no two ways about it. I'm literally using one right now at home, and it's great. It literally plays the same as my 4670k. Literally.

Maybe the 4460 does perform better(ofc it does). My point is that it won't make enough of a difference to make the 6300 a poor choice.

Also, the coolermaster case +psu is fine. Coolermaster stuff isn't the best, sure, but that doesn't make it bad.

Picking corsair psus is just easy. They make great stuff at a great price. Picking a different psu at around the same price isn't a big deal.

And blues over greens or whatever doesn't matter either for a storage drive. A blue isn't going to play your movie any faster.

That you're informed enough to be able to make your own choices is great. Not everyone is. The video is a guide, not a defacto list, and because you would make different choices doesn't make the video ones bad, nor should anyone decry his choices. We can all have good choices, even if they're different.

I managed to get the GTX970 in the $100 budget. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

The builds are decent imo, but if this is a persons first build and they want to get into pc gaming, I would go r9 290 instead of gtx 970. You can find some for $70 cheaper and they come with 4-6 games for free. Just a suggestion

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

I'm sorry you're just wrong about the g3258. There's no two ways about it. I'm literally using one right now at home, and it's great. It literally plays the same as my 4670k. Literally.

Maybe the 4460 does perform better(ofc it does). My point is that it won't make enough of a difference to make the 6300 a poor choice.

Also, the coolermaster case +psu is fine. Coolermaster stuff isn't the best, sure, but that doesn't make it bad.

Picking corsair psus is just easy. They make great stuff at a great price. Picking a different psu at around the same price isn't a big deal.

And blues over greens or whatever doesn't matter either for a storage drive. A blue isn't going to play your movie any faster.

Pair it up with a real card and you'll see a difference in any threaded game. 

And a 4460 is a decent bit better than a 6300 as well as being cheaper, giving you an upgrade path (should one want one), and runs more efficiently. Not to mention a 4460 won't bottleneck a SLI/XFIRE setup while a 6300 will. 

And while the cooler master case + psu might not be awful, its still not likely to be as good as a separate purchase psu would be; and its not like the money saved was used in any meaningful way. The price point to be going for a case+psu combo is around the $300 mark. 

Yes, Corsair makes solid PSUs, however there are other excellent PSUs that are cheaper. EVGA G2 750w psu is substantially cheaper and just as good. 

Ummm...a a Blue is faster than a greeen. *cough* mister slightly faster loads times >>> visual fidelity *cough* 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler