Holiday 2014 Buyer's Guide - Full Component List

I will try to get Evga or gigabyte as you suggested.My gpu right now is msi and god knows it gets hot so fast T_T.So any solution about being able to play games on auto mode on gpu? Evga or gigabyte will solve this?.About monitor yes it seems buying gtx 970 or gtx 980 only for 19in is waste.

A 19" monitor paired with a 970 isn't a waste, 1440x900 and a 970 is a waste. The only thing about a 19" screen is that it's very small. And the 500 series just runs hot. EVGA, Gigabyte, Zotac, MSI, Asus, PNY....all are good choices with the Gigabyte 970 G1 gaming being the best. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I will try to get Evga or gigabyte as you suggested.My gpu right now is msi and god knows it gets hot so fast T_T.So any solution about being able to play games on auto mode on gpu? Evga or gigabyte will solve this?.About monitor yes it seems buying gtx 970 or gtx 980 only for 19in is waste.

auto mode?

Well, size what matters for monitors really, its resolution.  1080p is the standard, and those cards can legitimately push 1440p in many games at comfortable framerates.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

auto mode?

Well, size what matters for monitors really, its resolution.  1080p is the standard, and those cards can legitimately push 1440p in many games at comfortable framerates.

Yes.One time I was playing Mafia 2 and forgot to put fan speed on manual high speed.Suddenly got some work and started browsing and saw my gpu's temp was at 97c on auto mode.So I am kind of afraid what if I forget to use manually high speed for gpu fan and it will fry it.

Yes.One time I was playing Mafia 2 and forgot to put fan speed on manual high speed.Suddenly got some work and started browsing and saw my gpu's temp was at 97c on auto mode.So I am kind of afraid what if I forget to use manually high speed for gpu fan and it will fry it.

The automatic fan curve, even on your card, shouldn't do that....it should ramp up to keep temps below that point. Are you sure you had it on auto and not overriden to run at a set speed?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

A 19" monitor paired with a 970 isn't a waste, 1440x900 and a 970 is a waste. The only thing about a 19" screen is that it's very small. And the 500 series just runs hot. EVGA, Gigabyte, Zotac, MSI, Asus, PNY....all are good choices with the Gigabyte 970 G1 gaming being the best. 

Gigabyte hmm.Ok I made up my mind.I will go for gigabyte gtx 970.Then comes monitor.I am searching a good oc guide for 2600k.Do I really need to oc cpu after buying new gpu?

The automatic fan curve, even on your card, shouldn't do that....it should ramp up to keep temps below that point. Are you sure you had it on auto and not overriden to run at a set speed?

Yes I am 100% sure.Why I will do something like that especially when I am new in this field.My gtx 570 jeez dunno what;s wrong with this card.Even while watching moves it goes around 62c T_T

Gigabyte hmm.Ok I made up my mind.I will go for gigabyte gtx 970.Then comes monitor.I am searching a good oc guide for 2600k.Do I really need to oc cpu after buying new gpu?

You really should....theres no reason not to. 

Anyway, increase the voltage and then increase the multiplier then run a stress test (prime 95 or Aida 64) and keep an eye on cpu temps with HWMonitor. Then after you find the highest stable multiplier lower the voltage little by little until you find the lowest stable voltage at that multiplier. 

Keep the voltage below 1.30v and temps below 80ºc.

Yes I am 100% sure.Why I will do something like that especially when I am new in this field.My gtx 570 jeez dunno what;s wrong with this card.Even while watching moves it goes around 62c T_T

Well, the 570 does run hot....however, I'm pretty sure you messed with the fan curve/took it off auto. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

You really should....theres no reason not to. 

Anyway, increase the voltage and then increase the multiplier then run a stress test (prime 95 or Aida 64) and keep an eye on cpu temps with HWMonitor. Then after you find the highest stable multiplier lower the voltage little by little until you find the lowest stable voltage at that multiplier. 

Keep the voltage below 1.30v and temps below 80ºc.

Well, the 570 does run hot....however, I'm pretty sure you messed with the fan curve/took it off auto. 

I remember this used to happen to my cpu too(60-70c normal without load) but after getting new mobo and especially hyper 212 evo fan it sits below 40c now(Phew!).I just tweaked auto curve fan now.Hope so corrected my mistake.

Oh auto fan mode!

Yea, the new cards all have automatic fan curves, but you can create your own, I recommend one like this:

Smart Fan Curve for MSI Afterburner

The 500 series cards run ridiculously hot, and you won't ever come close to that kind of heat on your new 970.

Yes, you should absolutely overclock your CPU.  Nothing insane, but 4.2-4.6Ghz is very attainable and will increase your performance all around.  Its free performance, you just have to do the work to overclock it.  Do research, read guides, and ask for help in other parts of this forum.  When overclocking, be safe, and go slow.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Oh auto fan mode!

Yea, the new cards all have automatic fan curves, but you can create your own, I recommend one like this:

The 500 series cards run ridiculously hot, and you won't ever come close to that kind of heat on your new 970.

Yes, you should absolutely overclock your CPU.  Nothing insane, but 4.2-4.6Ghz is very attainable and will increase your performance all around.  Its free performance, you just have to do the work to overclock it.  Do research, read guides, and ask for help in other parts of this forum.  When overclocking, be safe, and go slow.

I do have a quadro 4000 3gb ddr5 and proc 3770 for my office work(moulds and tools designing).My dad said that take these but isn't geforce is made for gaming and quadro for a different purpose?

I do have a quadro 4000 3gb ddr5 and proc 3770 for my office work(moulds and tools designing).My dad said that take these but isn't geforce is made for gaming and quadro for a different purpose?

yes, quadros are pretty shitty for gaming. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20857-is-the-nvidia-quadro-4000-a-good-graphics-card-for-gaming/

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I am out of luck finding Evga gtx 970.Only zotac,asus and msi are showing in India.Damn!

I am out of luck finding Evga gtx 970.Only zotac,asus and msi are showing in India.Damn!

theyre all good. There really are no bad 970s.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

theyre all good. There really are no bad 970s.

I did some searching like evga vs asus etc and became more confused which one to go.All are good but help me this one out please :).If I didn't get Evga then which one I should get? Asus/Msi/Zotac.

I did some searching like evga vs asus etc and became more confused which one to go.All are good but help me this one out please :).If I didn't get Evga then which one I should get? Asus/Msi/Zotac.

They're all really pretty much equal.

Gigabyte G1 Gaming > MSI TF > Asus Strix / EVGA ACX 

I'm not exactly sure where the Zotac Amp! cards fall, but I'd assume around Asus Strix (below the MSI TF).

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/11

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

They're all really pretty much equal.

Gigabyte G1 Gaming > MSI TF > Asus Strix / EVGA ACX 

I'm not exactly sure where the Zotac Amp! cards fall, but I'd assume around Asus Strix (below the MSI TF).

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/11

That link helped a lot.

http://www.flipkart.com/msi-nvidia-gtx-970-gaming-4g-2-gb-gddr5-graphics-card/p/itmeytzfd4p7emz9?pid=GRCEYTZFHBYJGJGM&otracker=from-search&srno=t_7&query=evga+gtx+970&ref=50909c39-9acb-4b05-a186-530b1e9132a0

http://www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-nvidia-gv-n970wf3oc-4gd-4-gb-gddr5-graphics-card/p/itmefbp8qtcgpd9w?pid=GRCEFBZVYUDRNQZG&icmpid=reco_pp_hsame_computeraccessory_graphicscard_1&ppid=GRCEYTZFHBYJGJGM

Msi out of stock but will notify me.So remains gigabyte.This is the card you are talking about in Gigabyte G1 Gaming > MSI TF > Asus Strix / EVGA ACX?.This one is available :D

Thats actually the other Gigabyte 970, there are two...theres the standard Windforce 970 (which is that one) and then theres the G1 Gaming (not that one). 

The difference between the two is the Windforce is clocked lower, is NOT a binned chip (probably won't be able to overclock as far as a g1 gaming could), has no backplate, and (i believe) has less heatpipes. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thats actually the other Gigabyte 970, there are two...theres the standard Windforce 970 (which is that one) and then theres the G1 Gaming (not that one). 

The difference between the two is the Windforce is clocked lower, is NOT a binned chip (probably won't be able to overclock as far as a g1 gaming could), has no backplate, and (i believe) has less heatpipes. 

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphics-GV-N970G1-GAMING-4GD/dp/B00NH5T1MS

http://www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-nvidia-gv-n970wf3oc-4gd-4-gb-gddr5-graphics-card/p/itmefbp8qtcgpd9w?pid=GRCEFBZVYUDRNQZG&icmpid=reco_pp_hsame_computeraccessory_graphicscard_1&ppid=GRCEYTZFHBYJGJGM

Can you give me link of that Gigabyte you are reffering too?

Sorry mistaken with something else before about windforce 3x cooling system and clock :P. I am going to buy it soon and being in India its hard to get a better product.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphics-GV-N970G1-GAMING-4GD/dp/B00NH5T1MS

Can you give me link of that Gigabyte you are reffering too?

Sorry mistaken with something else before about windforce 3x cooling system and clock :P. I am going to buy it soon and being in India its hard to get a better product.

The Amazon link is the one I'm referring to. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

The Amazon link is the one I'm referring to. 

My mobo is Asus P8Z77M Pro..Sli support....2 gtx 970 will fit it on it? I read about heating issues due to less distance between cards from some forums too and especially x4 and x8 speeed something(maybe you can shed some light on it).Some even said coil issues some said it is really quiet.

I told about linustechtips to my friends.They showing lot of interest in it too :D.Subscribed too on youtube already.

@LinusTech i followed the parts list for the g3258 build apparently the asus h81 m-e wont wont even boot without flashing the bios so im stuck :/

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys im planning on building a PC, and I dont have a very big budget and Australia prices are crazy, but would you recommend getting an R9 280X rather than a GTX 970? I would only need 1080p on my monitor, so i think 970 could be a bit overkill?

Hey guys im planning on building a PC, and I dont have a very big budget and Australia prices are crazy, but would you recommend getting an R9 280X rather than a GTX 970? I would only need 1080p on my monitor, so i think 970 could be a bit overkill?

i say go for it! I love my 970 but I loved my XFX 280X before it. plus with Omega drivers that came out recently IMO 280X is still a good card! I know Aussie prices are insane with this stuff and stupid Games Workshop model (FU GW) so do what you have to do, kiwi!

hey guys, I have the FX-6300 and R9 270X OC version, I'm planning to switch to GTX 970. I wonder if the processor won't bottleneck my GPU. Linus paired FX-6300 with GTX970, is it a good match? Thx in advance

we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion...