Need some help on silencing my PC

rejectedwaffle

Hey everyone, first post right here ;)

Straight to business.

So I'm looking at slightly upgrading my system to make it run cooler and near silent/silent

My current components that are relevant are:

i7 2600K at 3.4Ghz with a Hyper 212+ cooler

Gigabyte GTX 570

Antec TruePower New 750W

Coolermaster Storm Enforcer case

I'm looking at the Corsair H100i for a cooler, perhaps upgrading the stock fans on it to the SP ones..?

For case wise, I would like something that looks nice but is also silence optimised of course, I don't really know what options are out there that are fitting for this and I'm hoping you guys could suggest some..

I could also keep my current case as long as it can be silenced well, I like the looks and cooling capabilities of it.

Any suggestions on what I can do for silence optimization and some techniques to reduce temperatures?

Also if you would like any more information, I'm here to talk :)

Thanks in advance.

I currently own a Corsair Vengeance C70 case. It's built great but for more silence I really like the Bitfenix Ghost. As far as the H100i look into the Silverstone AP122 fans and use them as either push or pull but have the air come through the rad from outside the case.

AMD Phenom II 955BE 4GHz@1.4v

Corsair H100 w/ Silverstone AP122

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 NB@2600MHz

G.Skill 2x4GB 7-7-7-21

XFX HD5870 Crossfire

128GB OCZ Vertex 4

2TB WD Green Raid 0

Corsair AX850

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced

A Fractal Design R4. Good silence optimized case, with decent-good thermals, good looks (personal preference, but who doesn't like the slick look of this case)

As for noise, my h100i is relatively quiet on the Quiet setting. Stock fans that is. Do note that the average room temperature is 15 degrees (I live and sleep in that room).

Another option is the h110 or the nzxt x60. They use dual 140 mm fans, so I am not sure if they fit in the Fractal design r4

I ordered a good 6 noctua fans (Haven't showed up yet), 4 Noctua NF-F12's and 2 Noctua NF-P12's. These are damn silent, and still moves a lot of air at low rpm's, and linus recommends them alot.

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

I currently own a Corsair Vengeance C70 case. It's built great but for more silence I really like the Bitfenix Ghost. As far as the H100i look into the Silverstone AP122 fans and use them as either push or pull but have the air come through the rad from outside the case.
The ghost is actually really bad at containing noise, compared to other alternatives. It's not a good recommendation for someone wanting silence.

Case-wise, the R4 and Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 are the best at noise-containment.

For everything else, it's a matter of identifying what it is that's creating the most noise and addressing that as a priority. There's the obvious, such as whether it's the GPU or CPU fans making the most noise, but there's also things like HDD vibration and fan orientation - simply moving a fan from the rear to the top of your case could change it's sound character significantly, depending on the model.

For a case id suggest an R4, but as you are going to throw in a H100i it wont fit/will be extremely tight depending on your Mobo.

Another Silence based case is a Antec P280 i think you can put a H100i on the top, but im not too sure about that.

Or, you can get any case of your choice and get some sound dampening foam, and just make a "Home Made" Silent case :D

Put the h100 in the front of the R4.
Could do that, but is the tubing long enough to reach the CPU ??

What motherboard is it? The H100/i should work for all. I have an H100 in my build on an i7 3770K with a Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo. Brought my temps down to 20C.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

SP120s are a joke. they move air but tthey are loud. I order NF-F12s and like nillas12 said Linus recommends damn all the time. also all the research shows NF-F12 are the queitest fans out there. just pricey. note I'm running H100i too

Parvum Systems S1.0, 3570K, H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB @ 1866, EVGA GTX 680 FTW+, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, WD Velociraptor 600GB HDD, Corsair AX850

What motherboard is it? The H100/i should work for all. I have an H100 in my build on an i7 3770K with a Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo. Brought my temps down to 20C.
I have a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4.

Thanks for the help guys, all this will be taken into consideration when I decide what I'm going to do.

Just thought I might add, I live in Australia and as you may know it gets pretty damn hot here haha

As nillas said he runs his PC with a 15 degree ambient.. I'll never have anything like that :(

Idk if that counts but it might be easier to bypass the problem of the noisy computer than to fix it.

Instead of silencing the computer can you put it further from you?

In my last place I was able to drill holes into the floor and pass a usb extention cable and 3 25 foot hdmi cable (yea eyefinity why not). I could not ear it,

So my computer was alone making noise beside the washing machine and drier bothering no one and that was rly cheap (compared to silencing the rig)(like 50$)

But that might no be an option for you (it is impossible for me now since I moved)

Another option that is not rly fixing the problem, is to get a cheap low power PASSIVE computer to do the web browsing, web processing and youtube/netflix usage TOTALLY SILENTLY and only open the gaming rig when you game (noise doesn t bother me much when gaming (thanks to noise isolating headphones)

(That option might not be all that crazy seeing how noctua fans cost 20$ and i got 8 fans slots in my system (160$) + a new cpu cooler(80$?) + aftermarket gpu cooler(50+$ each(got 2)))

That option is what I am investigating now. (I am also looking at finding a way to turn off unneeded fan at idle if possible, ill do which ever is easier to do.)

I currently use antec truequiet 120mm on low (9db) with a hyper 212, 2 6950 and a i5 3570k.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Yes it should reach.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

SP120s are a joke. they move air but tthey are loud. I order NF-F12s and like nillas12 said Linus recommends damn all the time. also all the research shows NF-F12 are the queitest fans out there. just pricey. note I'm running H100i too
Incorrect. There are quieter fans than the NF-F12. In fact, they're pretty loud without the LNA/ULNA.

A Fractal Design R4. Good silence optimized case, with decent-good thermals, good looks (personal preference, but who doesn't like the slick look of this case)

As for noise, my h100i is relatively quiet on the Quiet setting. Stock fans that is. Do note that the average room temperature is 15 degrees (I live and sleep in that room).

Another option is the h110 or the nzxt x60. They use dual 140 mm fans, so I am not sure if they fit in the Fractal design r4

I ordered a good 6 noctua fans (Haven't showed up yet), 4 Noctua NF-F12's and 2 Noctua NF-P12's. These are damn silent, and still moves a lot of air at low rpm's, and linus recommends them alot.

i would wait and get a swiftech h220

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

are any of your current components a source of noise? any build can be silent with the right components, in fact i have an open case system [too darn pretty to cover it up] and because of my component choices its nearly inaudible, i am a single fan away from not hearing my system, keep in mind there are no side panels or anything to dampen noise.

for a silent case like many above i would suggest the fractal define r4, i have the r3 and that is a good case but the r4 is better in every way. for cpu coolers i would get a swiftech h220, they should be available in February.

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

I do occasionally get this quit irritating, very quiet high pitched sound. If I tap on the side of the case it seems to stop for ~20 seconds. (It really doesn't seem like coil whine)

It comes and goes and I would looove to know what's causing it.

If you can change every fan on your case/heatsink to a Noctua fan, your computer will be near inaudible, guaranteed!

Put the h100 in the front of the R4.
I have a Corsair H100 in the top of my Define R4. It fits if you have the right mobo/ram configuration. That's why I picked up GSkill Ares 2133 4x4Gb for my build so clearance would not be a problem.

If you want silence, there is no beating the Swiftech H220. I clearly beats the H100 and H100i, because its pump is so much more powerful, at 6 watts instead of, like, 1.2 watts for the Corsair.

It's like comparing a Honda Accord V6 with a beautiful Porsche 4.0 flat six. Sure, they'll both do 150mph/240kph, but the Honda will be screaming as it does.