Blizzard reveals new shooter called "Overwatch"

Gruffalow

The trailer should've been at 60fps :unsure:

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The incredible lack of information contained within this reveal is disappointing.

more or less, this can be summed up on one short sentence:

"WE MAEK NEW GAEM!"

That sums it up. Just another TF2 as far as I can see. I won't be buying it.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

FPS... ugh...

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

Kotaku has a breakdown of all the classes in videos. Check them out:

http://kotaku.com/every-class-in-overwatch-broken-down-1656107355

I don't know why you guys call this TF2. I've played TF2 and this is not anywhere like it. The only thing they share is each class has their own unique purpose. There are slightly similar classes but the overall game is completely different. I see them mashing up a ton of extremely overpowered classes together hoping they would all balance each other out. Very interesting. Hopefully they can successfully balance them all, or else this is gonna be a mess with everyone just constantly dying and whining.

As soon as I saw the video for a short period of time I was like this is going to be Blizzard's TF2.  I wonder how much hats will cost in this game?  :P

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

potential new game to be excited about, move away from the generic samey shooters. Love the colour pallet in this game too.  

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

It's so bright and pretty! I adore the art style. It looks really fun to boot.

Swedish Engineer confirmed!

10/10! 

ok not really but i agree about TF2 look alike, it was also my first impression when i saw the trailer.

Signing up for Beta.

Speaking of Beta, i find it funny that This NEW game is in beta while HOTS is still in Alpha....>_>

i heard they were moving to close beta before the end of the year, don't remember where i read, it was either PCG or polygon but i guess by the time overwatch became availible, HOTS could be in open beta or close to release

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It has potential, depending on how much content it has and whether they plan to support it with more after launch. I feel like Blizzard has a fairly solid track record for adding new things to their games (both free and paid) but I don't really play any of them so I could be wrong there.

If they have a lot of maps, constantly add more maps and characters, and use TF2's "anybody can host a server with any mods" policy it could definitely be successful as long as they use either an up-front cost or VERY CAREFULLY designed F2P model. I doubt subscription-based would work (and it's very unlikely anyway) and F2P games that last are one in a million.

Hopefully they can successfully balance them all, or else this is gonna be a mess with everyone just constantly dying and whining.

Isn't that the case with most/all competitive games (or FPS in particular)? /s.. Edit: Long read incoming..

Really, though. Let me try to tell you guys something that you probably don't know about balancing in games with many dynamics to it. I'm an avid DotA 2 player/spectator and I'd say I understand the game to a moderate degree. But even if you don't, you can see the balancing effects of it (in some ways to a lesser extent)..

The game has 107~ heroes/characters, all with slight similarities but for the most part are completely different and are played differently for that reason. Balancing that many characters is almost impossible. As of the last 5~ patches (6.80, 6.81, 6.82, 6.82b/c, all within a short timeframe of eachother), the game has been teetering on the edge of a blade in terms of balance and you know what makes me sad? Right now, the game is so close to a fine balance between every hero in the game that you almost can't go wrong with what you play. It's all in how skilled you are, sort of anyway.

My point is that even if you achieve perfect balance in a multi-class/race/whatever competitive game, you won't be happy. Starcraft 2 is another example I can use. You've got 3 races and they're all different because the units, buildings, upgrades and build orders are different. However, those efficiencies can be reduced by a lesser-skilled player or magnified by a god. So they balance, and it falls back and forth between the races unless a nigh-impossible perfect balance is achieved. If that ever happened, the game would be boring.

I had more fun in DotA 2 when it was less balanced and the weaker choices were more obvious than the current state of the game. Right now it's too balanced. I literally went from racking up 800-900 hours in 3-4~ months on Steam alone, not counting me watching tournies on twitch, to maybe 50 hours in a week or two at most.

Same thing happened for a lot of people with the classic java-based, browser MMO RuneScape. You had 3 combat types and they were all different. They started to make it so they were more balanced for PvP and PvM, so eventually people abused their skill at playing and the efficiencies provided by using hybrid combat. Then they fine-tuned it to the point where everything was either perfectly even or one was outright the best and nothing else worked. It destroyed the game, people stopped playing in the masses every time this happened. And despite what some people think, the game was huge at one point (not exactly WoW-level at the time but it was easily top 10).

Yeah. Fuck balancing. The idea behind you having to make a choice or being limited via what is left to choose from the character pool allows for much more balanced gameplay. Throw in some synergy, strategy and teamwork aspects to the game and you almost always fix the problems. Ironing out problems that remain untouched and modifying other things slightly with patches over time, as DotA 2 has seen and will (hopefully) always see, causes the perfect concoction of instability that makes things different enough to keep playing for a long time. Any day of the week I'd rather have that than the game sitting on a scale with devs saying that X needs to be equal to Y and Z forever. It's the only reason I keep playing DotA 2 honestly.

Balancing that many characters is almost impossible.

Not almost. It is. 

Balancing a game with only 4 classes is still fairly complicated, if they allow for countless variations through abilities, talent trees, etc. The number of classes isn't what makes it complicated to balance, it's the number of total possible combinations. You'll inevitably end up with some combinations that are really overpowered, many in between, and many that are underpowered. Trying to nerf the overpowered combinations can cause other combinations to become overpowered. 

Think of it like a see-saw, but with infinite sides to it arranged in a circular fashion. Balancing them all simultaneously is an exercise in futility. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Not almost. It is.

I only said almost because perhaps in some very specific game, it's possible. I just haven't seen it :D.

Thanks for reading some of my post, your reply kind of summarized my 3,000 word essay. Glad someone else thinks of game balance in a similar way.

I only said almost because perhaps in some very specific game, it's possible. I just haven't seen it :D.

Thanks for reading some of my post, your reply kind of summarized my 3,000 word essay. Glad someone else thinks of game balance in a similar way.

I actually only skimmed it, but still.

Interesting how you mention RuneScape - that game probably had the simplest combat triangle before Evolution of combat and even then, Jagex was piss poor at balancing. Their idea of balancing was to tip the balance towards Melee combat to the extreme while ignoring Ranged and Magic combat entirely. Even now, the distribution of weapons and armor is tipped heavily in favour of Melee. Ranged and Magic required more movement to be really effective, but click to move made that cumbersome. 

The only way to really balance a game is to give everyone the exact same class and configuration, no upgrades of any sort. But that'll become stale fairly quickly since there's no variation. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I'm sorry. This looks like nothing original, and I've never even looked at TF. The trailer looked cool, but gameplay looks meh. I get that Blizzard is going for a wide audience that can be played on any system, but this looks like sub Diablo 3 graphics. Pathetic.

Overall, this looks like half a game to me, and confirms for me that Blizzard is no longer the Blizzard I remember that makes original, interesting, addictively fun to play, and highly polished games.

We need Blizzard North back.

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

As a fan of class based team multiplayer games like team fortress 2 I think the gameplay of Overwatch looks quite fun.  

Nice and "timeless" art style, fast paced with a gameplay focuses on teamwork. Great!

But for "the first new ip after 16 years" the theme looks so generic. Random future people and gorilla with future tech mixed with random Robot, Reaper and a Dwarf?!  Sorry but they could have just gone down the Heroes of the Storm route and put in characters from there other universes and it would be less random and generic. 

So ... Gameplay looks fun, but nothing new. Setting: Meh

this looks like sub Diablo 3 graphics. Pathetic.

What about the 'gr4ph1x' do you find pathetic?

Overall, this looks like half a game to me, and confirms for me that Blizzard is no longer the Blizzard I remember that makes original, interesting, addictively fun to play, and highly polished games.

We need Blizzard North back.

Nothing is truly 'original' anymore. Until some genius comes up with a brand new genre not similar to anything else you will ALWAYS find comparisons to other games.

In this quote you complain about them creating their first new IP in 17 years even though you go on to say that you wished they would create something 'original' by which i assume you're referring to something that isn't a derivative of the warcraft universe. You also comment on Overwatch being, (by the way you've worded it); uninteresting, not fun to play and buggy/unbalanced even though the game has only just been announced and hasn't even reached beta yet, thus you have yet to see anything about it besides the few select clips of gameplay they showed at Blizzcon and/or gave to press.

For the love of god people, keep an open mind about something you have no idea about.

4930k @ 4.5GHz - EVGA 780ti Superclocked ACX - ASUS x79 Deluxe - 32GB Tactical Tracer @ 2133

Cool.  Nice to see a new IP at least.  I'll try it when it's in full release.  Hm, I guess Blizzard games are never in full release, they keep significantly patching their games for years and years.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Having played a couple games at the con and attending both the overview and origins panel for this game, and seeing everyone's reactions, this is bound to be amazing. Absolutely loved the demo, even though our team lost horribly both games it was still fun and exciting. The team working on this game would not have unveiled it if it wasn't anything but fun to play.

As a side note, i am excited to see the heroes team bring overwatch characters into the nexus once overwatch is released, so much potential there.