I <3 DFI

ALXAndy

I really like that pheonix board ,all the features you could want for under $100 bucks.thats the one I wanted for my build but the colors did not work out for my theme.

It's taken me nearly three weeks to get one. I was beginning to think they didn't exist tbh.

I already ordered one and found out the picture was wrong on the web site so I got the stripped back one (all black no LEDs or orange on it :( )

I'm just glad it's here. It's one part that I did not want to change and so I've got a £80 refund pending. Usually I would not re-order until I had my cash back but yeah, these boards seem to be like rocking horse shit.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Morning all. So I was away on holiday for a week. Obs I don't make a point of telling the internet I'm going away..

Any way. So when I was doing the Lightning I noticed there were four ICs with no sinks on.

DSC00344.jpg

They're not uniform either which is very odd. Any way, I wanted them cooled. Why MSI cut a hole in the back plate for them yet didn't cool them is a mystery.

DSC00345.jpg

All the way from, you guessed it, Hong Kong.

DSC00347.jpg

Now for the bad bit. I probably won't be working on this again until the spring. I have a lot of commitments coming up between now and March and if I concentrate on this then I probably won't concentrate on the important stuff (you know? like getting married and shit) so I'm going to have to box this lot up and start again when its safe to indulge myself..

I'll be around the forums though :D

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

This build looks amazing so far, I'm really excited for the finished project. Thanks for sharing the whole process with us, frustrations and all. It's great to see all the parts before and after and I really appreciate your attention to detail :D

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Thanks Fizzy. I got a bit carried away buying AV gear a couple of months back and now I have this mountain of equipment. That would be all fine and dandy, but in there is the 65" UHD TV and if I don't get that set up any time soon we can't have a Christmas tree so I kinda made this big old rod for my back by spending thousands on audio gear.

Today I got to fitting the floating shelves. See, I could have just pussied out and bought a 5.1/7.1 receiver (something like an Onkyo) but I insisted that every speaker would be powered by a valve/tube amp. This is all easy enough in practice, but I had to buy two decoders for it too so all more money and things to wire up.

Hopefully I can get into that this week, trunk out the entire room (that's going to take some serious time, got me a mitre saw though so I'm all set) and be all ready for Christmas and the Lakeside darts. Love it !!

Then we get married 2nd Jan, then we go on a 26 day Caribbean cruise so my uncle and aunt are staying here (on the premise that every night will be cinema night lol) so yeah, that carries through til March and I really shouldn't be modding computers......

Congrats on getting married m8!

Cannot wait to see you pick this back up again, one of the few build ive been following intensely from the start.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

• 3 weeks later...

Found a spare hour so knocked up the 24 pin and 4 pin PSU connectors.

DSC00352.jpg

Found a spare hour so knocked up the 24 pin and 4 pin PSU connectors.

DSC00352.jpg

Is that a Cherry keyboard?

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

Yup. G80 blue :)

Noice. I'm glad I went for Cherry Browns with the Logitech G710+ instead of Kailh with the Zalman ZM-K500 :)...Also the best decision I've made for my keyboard was removing the Orings :)

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

I love this build.  I can't wait for you to have time to go back to working on it.  Congrats on being busy with getting married though!  Some things are worth the time away from playing with computers.

Wow really neat job so far! look forward to seeing the whole thing ;) 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Thanks guys. Later today I will probably do the two 8 pins and 6 pin PCIE cables I need for the GPU. Then I have one molex run with an orange plug to make and the cabling is done. Gotta love these small PCs there's much less to actually make lol.

There's quite a big update coming to The Big Purple Monster soon too, once my Quadro arrives for X8 (all three are WIP atm).

Bollocks. Just got out the RM750 and realised the PCIE power cables are completely unsuitable for braiding. What a douche....

So now I'm going to have to buy extensions to braid so a delay. PAH.

Cheers dude. So today I ordered this..

8pin.jpg

And this.

6pin.jpg

One 8 pin to 2 8 pins and a 6 pin extension. Ignore the red, they were only £9 for both and both can be fully braided. I did contact the guy I bought the BPM cables from but he wanted the same price for the extensions without braiding. Joker !

Once they arrive I can finish the braiding completely within a couple of hours. Really wanting this done now.

So today I finished all of the braiding on DFI.

1_zps09357b23.jpg

Ignore the black and white ends, they will be hidden under a cover panel.

Remember the GTX 480 Lightning? well here she is.

2_zps8273e357.jpg

A marriage made in heaven.

3_zpsd8e051e8.jpg

I'm so glad I bought the custom connectors now. They were quite expensive at around £15 for the full set but they make all the difference I feel.

4_zpsf36b3095.jpg

Coming next : A date with the rotary tool and two sheets of acrylic.....

haha yeah.

Some one said on another forum that it looks like a bag of fruit salad sweets lmao.

Barratt_Fruit_Salad_zpsbbdabba7.jpg

lmao.

ok that is by far the coolest GPU I have ever seen!

great work you are a true artist in my eyes.

makes me want to buy sleeving tools..

You don't really need sleeving tools...

http://midlifegamers.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1440

Just a paper clip really :D

You don't really need sleeving tools...

http://midlifegamers.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1440

Just a paper clip really :D

going to try this tonight! Have a old 24 pin extension cable I can try it on.

Well as they say it was bound to happen...

So the other day I came down with a cold. Then everything started to go wrong.

I decided to build the rig so I could make cover panels. First up the 8 pin PCIE splitter did not fit onto the end of the Corsair PSU plug. After about an hour of head scratching and eventual swearing I realised that it was actually an 8 pin EPS fitting so they had sent me the wrong part FFS.

Then I attempted to install the 480, which is super hard in this stupid little case, and I ended up taking off a chunk of the yellow wrap.

So any way, it's all built. It looks like crap though and I'm not sure I can be arsed bothering with it any more. Walk.away.stress.yes...

Maybe when I feel a bit better (feel like I've been hit by a truck atm) I'll get back on it. The company who sold it to me are sending a replacement...