1440p Panel for Gaming?

413X

Hey linus forum,

last week i upgraded my rig (980 gtx, i7 5820k yada yada yada)

anyhow im thinking about getting a 27" 1440p if i find the right panel for the right price. my absolut maximum would be 500€ but i'd rather spend less.

i guess what i am looking for on here are options you guys would recommend using for gaming. doesnt matter if TN, IPS, PLS as long it can provide a decent gaming experience.

i know there have been a lot of threads about 1440p monitors. most stuff i have read is asus pb278 or asus too rog expensive, but id like to have some more options to think about.

thanks in advance

regards

MOBO MSI X99s Gaming 7 - CPU i7-5820K - RAM 16gb ddr4 Ram - GPU Zotac 980GTX Amp! Edition - CASE NZXT H440 - STORAGE 2 Crucial 256gb SSD (Raid 0) 6tb WD Green - PSU Corsair 850W - COOLER Be Quiet Dark Rock 3

I'm not a big monitor know how person, but I'd look into Korean panels.

this might be one of the stupidest questions on here.. but when you say "korean monitor" is korean something like a brand and if not how do you find them? they are not on european amazon.

MOBO MSI X99s Gaming 7 - CPU i7-5820K - RAM 16gb ddr4 Ram - GPU Zotac 980GTX Amp! Edition - CASE NZXT H440 - STORAGE 2 Crucial 256gb SSD (Raid 0) 6tb WD Green - PSU Corsair 850W - COOLER Be Quiet Dark Rock 3

Hey there forum.

I have an Xstar-1440p-dp2710. It's a korean and I paid $310 for it shipped.(280+30pixel perfect) over a year ago and havn't had any gripes with it. It's a PLS panel, that being said it has excellent colors and viewing angles. It's not the best for gaming because it's not a tn. I found response times and motion blur to be very tolerable for gaming, even on a competitive edge. However if you are gaming competively regularly you should look at the rog swift or other similar monitors.

the drawbacks are mostly obvious. It's not a TN, and it's not fast. But that being said 90% of korean panels I've seen can overclock to 96hz without any issues, (mine tops out at 113) other drawbacks are that it's not premium. Mine only has one dvi input and a very shitty stand. But being that i don't use anything other than dvi and I set it and forget it on my desk i don't care for the stand that much. don't be afraid though, it has a 100mm vesa mount

here's a comparison video of a few different korean monitors by TekSyndicate: https://teksyndicate.com/videos/korean-monitors-x-star-dp2710-led-multi-first-fsm-270yv-shimian-etc

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

this might be one of the stupidest questions on here.. but when you say "korean monitor" is korean something like a brand and if not how do you find them? they are not on european amazon.

you buy them off of ebay from a seller in korea. the factories are in korea so they make/ship them right there, hense the term 'korean'

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

Asus PB278Q WQHD LED Professional IPS Monitor 400£ also great for gaming

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

the benq's price is not bad but it kinda bothers me that there is literally no review from any legitimate youtuber. kinda pushes me to the asus which is 100 bucks more expensive.

dreamseller on eBay has some good ones. I bought a pair of X-Star DP2710s from them and am extremely satisfied.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

I'm personally looking at the QNIX, but not sure if its still the Samsung PLS overclockable panel they're selling. Cheaper from some sellers on ebay

gotta be honest i rather spend a little more cash than trusting some korean factory. i ob dont mean that i dont trust them themselves but its just too much of a hassle if something is wrong with your monitor sending it in, etc etc. i dont think that would go smoothly. but i dont know.

does the asus pb279q have that crosshair thing in the middle of the screen like the 4k tn panel variant or the swift rog?

I'm currently gaming on an old Dell UltraSharp 27" 1440p IPS monitor, which I find isn't the best situation... Lots of input lag!

I had the same question as you... I want a 1440p gaming monitor.

For me its either:

1. Save for the ROG Swift (not ideal)
  2. Wait for price drops on the swift or a more competitively priced competitor to be released (more waiting). Right now the Swift has no competition.
  3. Get a 144hz 1080p TN panel. (screen size reduction)

It seems like the are no good options for the lowly 1440p gamer for now. I'm choosing to wait... It seems annoying to be pushing +120fps at 1440p in games and to be only outputting 60, with added input lag and tearing.

2x GTX780 (@1.29ghz) | 2x 840evo 250GB raid0 | i5 4690k (@4.7ghz) | Watercooled Modded H440 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/255872-project-whiteout-v20-h440-watercooled-3xradiators-10-fans

I'm currently gaming on an old Dell UltraSharp 27" 1440p IPS monitor, which I find isn't the best situation... Lots of input lag!

For me its either:

2. Wait for price drops on the swift or a more competitively priced competitor to be released (more waiting). Right now the Swift has no competition.

It seems like the are no good options for the lowly 1440p gamer for now. I'm choosing to wait... It seems annoying to be pushing +120fps at 1440p in games and to be only outputting 60, with added input lag and tearing.

I thought about waiting to buy a swift, and they'll probably bomb once some actual competition comes around (closest is that Acer 4k @ 60hz gsync monitor) but I don't regret it.

Asus Maximus VII GeneIntel i7 4790k @ 4.8 - Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz - Asus Strix GTX980 SLI @ 1400Mhz/8000Mhz - 2x Samsing EVO 840 500GB RAID0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master v1000 - Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear - Genelec 8040a Pair - Audio Technica AT4040 - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift - Asus PB278Q - 2x Bad Asus IPS 1080 Screens - Ducky Shine 3 w/Browns - Corsair m65 - Razer Orbweaver Clicky - Razer Sabertooth

Apple rMBP Late 2013 - Applie retina iPad 2 - Apple iPhone 5 - Apple iPod Classic - XBone - Wii U - Pikachu 3DS XL - Katsukity 3DS XL

If it's any contender, TFT Central will be doing a full review on the BenQ GW2765HT and it might be worth waiting for to see if you like it @413X

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

For me its either:

i am really not sure about the TN panel option anymore. even if i spent alot of money on my new PC i am not a professional gamer. so sacrificing good color reproduction and a beautiful screen for horrific looking TN panel with 120hz doesnt seem like a good trade to me. i dont play something like cs:go on a high level.(i dont play it at all). and i think 120hz is not really needed for most other games. right now i'd like to get the asus pb278q. but im still looking around and researching.

@413X, I'm not much of a gamer either and the ASUS PB278Q is a very popular option. Many people have bought it and loved it. I personally would never sacrifice the colour accuracy of an IPS display for a TN one, even for the ASUS ROG Swift. Just imagine the kind of IPS monitor you could get for the price of the ROG Swift. I can tell you, a damn good one, that's for sure. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I'm personally looking at the QNIX, but not sure if its still the Samsung PLS overclockable panel they're selling. Cheaper from some sellers on ebay

Yes that panel is overclockable, I have the exact model myself :)

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

i am really not sure about the TN panel option anymore. even if i spent alot of money on my new PC i am not a professional gamer. so sacrificing good color reproduction and a beautiful screen for horrific looking TN panel with 120hz doesnt seem like a good trade to me. i dont play something like cs:go on a high level.(i dont play it at all). and i think 120hz is not really needed for most other games. right now i'd like to get the asus pb278q. but im still looking around and researching.

120Hz monitors feel really, really good. I'm waiting for my tax return to buy one. As far as the colour accuracy goes, I guess one could put forward a similar argument that you don't need 100% sRGB accuracy unless you're a professional graphic designer. For gaming purposes I don't feel TN looks that bad. I had a similar view on high refresh rates until I tried them, they just feel so damn responsive, and for me, I find that responsiveness to be good regardless of genres. It's something I think I'd suggest trying out before making a decision

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

120Hz monitors feel really, really good. I'm waiting for my tax return to buy one. As far as the colour accuracy goes, I guess one could put forward a similar argument that you don't need 100% sRGB accuracy unless you're a professional graphic designer. For gaming purposes I don't feel TN looks that bad. I had a similar view on high refresh rates until I tried them, they just feel so damn responsive, and for me, I find that responsiveness to be good regardless of genres. It's something I think I'd suggest trying out before making a decision

yes but the thing is. even with my rig you will not get the fps you would actually need to feel the 120hz on a 2560x1440p resolution in most modern good looking games. maybe in 4-5 years 4k gsync 120hz will be a thing. by then one will maybe be able to drive that on a single gpu solution. and by then the monitors will be chaper than nowadays considering freesync will be out by then so they not only have to compete with their own gsync but with the much cheaper freesync solutions.

Yes that panel is overclockable, I have the exact model myself :)

Cool, hows the colour? Good as IPS? I assume its true 24bit not upsampled 18bit.

Edit: Is there any frame skipping when OC'ed? Probally going to OC mine at 96hz

Edit 2: Was looking at this one on ebay (cause its cheaper to ship to NZ), just wondering if anyone reckons is the same as this one on amazon

Sorry to go off-topic

Cool, hows the colour? Good as IPS? I assume its true 24bit not upsampled 18bit.

Edit: Is there any frame skipping when OC'ed? Probally going to OC mine at 96hz

Edit 2: Was looking at this one on ebay (cause its cheaper to ship to NZ), just wondering if anyone reckons is the same as this one on amazon

Sorry to go off-topic

1. the color is awesome! Slightly higher contrast than ips! No OSD to play with color though.

2. I have had mine up to 120 before and didn't tear or have any skipped frames :)

3. That one won't overclock much if at all, being it has 2 inputs. The reason why the other Qnix (the version I have) overclocks is because the dvi-d connection plugs right into the monitor. When you have multiple inputs, they connect into a pcb board which does not overclock as well as straight panel overclocking!

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

1. the color is awesome! Slightly higher contrast than ips! No OSD to play with color though.

2. I have had mine up to 120 before and didn't tear or have any skipped frames :)

3. That one won't overclock much if at all, being it has 2 inputs. The reason why the other Qnix (the version I have) overclocks is because the dvi-d connection plugs right into the monitor. When you have multiple inputs, they connect into a pcb board which does not overclock as well as straight panel overclocking!

3. Thought so, I'll try find one with the pass-through PCB then I guess

Edit: Found this one, gonna try order before its out of stock http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111258830737&alt=web