What is the hype with mechanical keyboards.

handymanshandle

I  have only come across one or two membrane keyboards that felt cheaply made they were on an Acer from 2009 and a Samsung from 2013, and membrane isn't as noisy as mechanical so really besides better tactile feedback what makes mechanical any better than a membrane keyboard.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just try one. You'll know when you do.

Particularly of the Cherry MX flavor.

Mechanical keyboards to most people actually feel better to type / play on, they don't fail / break as often, chery mx keys are rated for over 50 million key presses and they have a faster response time (which personally i can hardly tell unless playing an fps) although they aren't for everyone

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

There is no hype, my brother has a mechanical keyboard and I am so jealous. If you had one you would know how good they are.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

It all comes down to personal preference as to what is the "better" switch. Mechanical key switches can also do "touch typing." Touch typing is the ability to only push the key down half way or so to get it to actuate. If you train yourself to do that, you can type significantly faster. They also tend to last longer than membrane and scissor switches.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

They feel so much better to type on..... Ever since I got my first laptop 8~ years ago I dreaded having to use a desktop keyboard (non-chiclet). When I first got my mechanical keyboard (browns) I felt meh about it -- I still preferred typing on my laptops keyboard. Fast forward a couple months I went to college and get reds for there and still preferred my laptop keyboard. Fast forward a couple more months, and here we are today....I can't stand typing on my laptops keyboard anymore. 

Mechanical keyboards just take some getting used to, but once you're used to them, they're soooooo much better. I still haven't figured out if I actually like reds better, or if I just never really got used to mechanical keys until I got my reds....Welp, I'll find out definitely in a couple of weeks when I go home and use my browns. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Lol. What hype are you referring to? It's called preference.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

They last much longer, and preference.

Also they typically are a bit higher quality than membrane keyboards.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It all comes down to personal preference as to what is the "better" switch. Mechanical key switches can also do "touch typing." Touch typing is the ability to only push the key down half way or so to get it to actuate. If you train yourself to do that, you can type significantly faster. They also tend to last longer than membrane and scissor switches.

Okay ya, I don't know it just seemed that they were just so highly sought after that perhaps there was some kind of hype. Then again I haven't really had much opportunity to use a mechanical keyboard.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Mechanical keyboards were the norm at times in the past if you bought certain pcs so hopefully in the future the cost will go down and they will be the norm.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

mechanical keyboards bring precision and tactile feedback that is lacking with membrane keyboards. People generally can type a little faster on them and they can be more ergonomic as well. Finally they are typically are noisy.

I like how the reds just feel so smooth when typing, and they all type similar, where as membranes are quite jerky and get stuck at times.

They just feel premium while typing.

nothing really - but i wouldnt go back to membrane keyboards. even my wife didnt believe their was much of a difference till she started to use a membrane keyboard again.

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8

Just try one. You'll know when you do.

Particularly of the Cherry MX flavor.

I tried it. Still don't feel it

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

It's like... Ford Focus is a nice car and all. Gets you where you need to go and has everything one would need in a car. That would be our humble membrane keyboard. Mercedes-Benz S-series car is a lot more comfortable and more fun to drive, but also costs a lot more. That would our fancy mechanical keyboard. Doesn't make you a better driver/typist/gamer but if you have the money, you can get something a little bit more nicer. :)

To be honest, Mechanical Keyboards are overrated. People say that they have amazing benefits for gaming, but I beg to differ. A very broken in scissor switch keyboard requires a LOT less force than Reds, the actuation point is at the very bottom so you know exactly when it hit, and scissor-switch keyboards have a lot less travel distance. I used to play a game that heavily relies on timing and dexterity with the arrow keys, and not even 5% of the best players use mechanical keyboards. So if you're looking to get good at a game, then don't even THINK about a mechanical keyboard. And if you want to argue, then why don't you get into the top 100 players of a game that relies on arrow keys?

I personally just like the feel of mechanical keyboards while typing, and the sound too. They're also more customization with keycaps and stuff. As for normal membrane keyboards, a mechanical keyboard will absolutely dominate it.

It was about a year ago that I got my first mechanical keyboard. Since I had no experience with them, cost was one factor. In the end, I got a SteelSeries 6Gv2.

As for what I can say about it after using it for a year? Well, typing on it is, in my opinion, a better experience than on my previous membrane keyboards, such as the SideWinder X4. This specific keyboard feels particularly solid because SteelSeries mounted the keys on a steel plate, giving the keyboard some nice weight.

People often cite "durability" as one factor for mechanical keyboards, but let's be honest: That will never be a factor for majority of people. Most people will buy a new keyboard or break their current one way before their keys start giving in. About the only exception is people who bash their keys with their fists/mouse/face, but mechanical keys won't help you there. Personally, I have gone through a lot of keyboards over the years, but not a single one of them had a key die. The most that has happened would be the spacebar loosening and turning awfully loud and wobbly.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.