Linus and the new format

TheRunningOtaku

Hey Guys,

Linus asked about the new format, and I thought I'd give it some time for a few videos to come out before I decided on it. Does anyone else here feel that him asking for subscriptions at the start of the video annoy them? For me it's because:

1) It interrupts the flow of the video when he brings in a separate topic at the start of the video

2) On a less practical note, it makes him seem like he's more interested in getting subscribers and views than making great videos

3) Linking to the second point, it's difficult to judge the quality of the video from the start - it makes it seem even more view-whore like because he's pushing for people to subscribe before they've judged for themselves whether it's good or not.

I love LinusTechTips and the videos they make, but recently they've been feeling less personal and more like an organization with how they do things :/ I wish Linus would go back to being less structured and more free with producing videos.

What do you guys think?

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

He probably has an intetion to do that, but I personally think that he should stop it.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

I don't think he even needs to ask, everyone who uses yoututbe knows what a subscribe button is and everyone only uses it on people they want to see content from.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Hey Guys,

Linus asked about the new format, and I thought I'd give it some time for a few videos to come out before I decided on it. Does anyone else here feel that him asking for subscriptions at the start of the video annoy them? For me it's because:

1) It interrupts the flow of the video when he brings in a separate topic at the start of the video

2) On a less practical note, it makes him seem like he's more interested in getting subscribers and views than making great videos

3) Linking to the second point, it's difficult to judge the quality of the video from the start - it makes it seem even more view-whore like because he's pushing for people to subscribe before they've judged for themselves whether it's good or not.

I love LinusTechTips and the videos they make, but recently they've been feeling less personal and more like an organization with how they do things :/ I wish Linus would go back to being less structured and more free with producing videos.

What do you guys think?

Does youtube not have analytic's for publishers which show them when viewers stop the video? 

He most likely saw that most people were going off before he had a chance to ask people to subscribe and decided hey..let's stick it at the front. 

More subscribers = more sponsors = better content ..well at-least that is the theory. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

i think he should do that in the middle of the video or at 3/4 of the video, since at the end ppl tend to close/stop the video when they got the content that they were searching for, and simply forget to subscribe.

"also it should blend in with the video if possible".

I'm fine with it being at the front, but maybe a few scripting changes might be needed to make it not feel so jarring going from one thing to another.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I really don't care where it is placed, though I think to have at the end is a bad idea.

I believe kwljunky hit the nail with his theory, I bet the statistics will show ALOT of viewers closing the video at the end when the content "is over" and skips the subscribe and sponsor announcements.

Personally I hardly notice it anymore in the new format and its been what, like 5 videos so far.

And to call it whoring is completely unnessecary, I think it says something about the mindset of people saying it.

Just checked the last two video. The subscribe segment takes less than 5 seconds and you're calling him on that.

linustechtips videos are awosem and propply the best tech videos on youtube (at least for me) but they need to grow up ther chanel , hey barely over 1 million , which is not a bad number , but they deserves alot mor for the quality videos they make , plus we get to know what the upcoming videos are.

I really don't care where it is placed, though I think to have at the end is a bad idea.

I believe kwljunky hit the nail with his theory, I bet the statistics will show ALOT of viewers closing the video at the end when the content "is over" and skips the subscribe and sponsor announcements.

Personally I hardly notice it anymore in the new format and its been what, like 5 videos so far.

And to call it whoring is completely unnessecary, I think it says something about the mindset of people saying it.

Just checked the last two video. The subscribe segment takes less than 5 seconds and you're calling him on that.

I know that it's probably that way, but that's how people do it when they know what's going on already - I do that because I've already watched a ton of his videos (and I do believe most of his views come from subscribers) and I always skip the end because I've heard it a hundred times. 

It's 5 seconds, but it shows his mindset and viewpoint - that he wants people to subscribe before they know what they're really getting. It probably will add to his subscriber numbers, but it's something that's jarring to some and pushes people who might not be interested in his channel to subscribe and never really watch his videos - does he really want subscribers like that?

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

Not a big deal either way. The content far outweighs any inconvenience of a couple seconds spent on asking viewers to subscribe.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

He has said that he's trialing it to see whether it increases the rate of gain of subscribers, and as such he will probably stop doing it after a few weeks if it doesn't make much difference. However, I do agree with your points, and it does feel a bit off.

@LinusTech

HTTP/2 203

Hey Guys,

What do you guys think?

I agree with all your points. Maybe he could put the subscribe at the start of the outro if he wants to make people more likely to hear it?

It's alright to kindly ask you to sub at the beginning but he's kinda forcing a rolled up script up my fucking ass telling me to subscribe to see the next random video

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

He has said that he's trailing it to see whether it increases the rate of gain of subscribers, and as such he will probably stop doing it after a few weeks if it doesn't make much difference. However, I do agree with your points, and it does feel a bit off.

@LinusTech

To me, though, it makes it feel as if Linus Tech Tips is part of a large organization - he's starting to lose the credibility that a small, independent reviewer has compared to large companies like Anandtech and such. Sometimes I get the feeling that a product isn't that great, and that he's been paid to say good things about it and stuff. Not that he lies, but every review can choose to shed a positive or negative light on a product, and it can easily go either way no matter how good/bad the actual product is.

Either doesn't really bother me, which ever gets the most subscribers / likes for them i suppose.

It feels more impersonal with him doing that.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

I'm sorry, but I've got to admit that I stop watching near the end when he advertises a product. I do think he should blend them in well though, that'd be better for the companies too as it's more likely to stick in your head.

Who even cares really, you're all subscribed.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

Just going to add my opinion here.

It annoys me when that happens, sometimes the segways work and the videos actually benefit from eachother but most of the time i wouldnt say its nice.

But if it works it works, so why not

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883