Alienware and Apple rant

Sandvich

You guy probably have enough rants about apple and alien ware but I just need to get this out of my system (pun).

At my school we got a 50,000 hardware grant a few years ago and guess what they spend it on. Apple I am so tired of apple I have nothing against apple except their ridiculous pricing but their popularity and same thing with alienware. I personally think that apple imacs look sleek and cool but I dont understand how big companies convince someone to buy a computer that doesn't even have a discreet graphics card. I know that whoever buys this crap is ignorant to computer specifications and they deserve that, but those people can afford the apple computer is wasting their money on Titian Z's and razer keyboards and mouses while the rest of us are trying to save up for a Graphics card upgrade.

Thanks for listening to my annoying rant.

Discrete*

Mice*

anyway...

What your institution decides to spend it's money on is it's own decision. If they frit it away in ways that (insert whoever grants them money) find inappropriate, those grants will cease to exist. for people pursuing a degree in Graphic design/web design, Mac has long been the industry standard. Having a well-rounded knowledge with both Windows and OSX (and ever increasingly - Linux) is something that's going to give you an edge in the job market.

I'm not sure how Alienware fits in here.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

You guy probably have enough rants about apple and alien ware but I just need to get this out of my system (pun).

At my school we got a 50,000 hardware grant a few years ago and guess what they spend it on. Apple I am so tired of apple I have nothing against apple except their ridiculous pricing but their popularity and same thing with alienware. I personally think that apple imacs look sleek and cool but I dont understand how big companies convince someone to buy a computer that doesn't even have a discreet graphics card. I know that whoever buys this crap is ignorant to computer specifications and they deserve that, but those people can afford the apple computer is wasting their money on Titian Z's and razer keyboards and mouses while the rest of us are trying to save up for a Graphics card upgrade.

Thanks for listening to my annoying rant.

Apple's computers actually aren't really overpriced, your school just doesn't want to have to build all their own computers - which is insanity. Also, the majority of Apple computers were built for different purposes than gaming and high-level processing.

I 100% agree with you on Alienware however.

So really your rant is not about Apple but rather your inability to make money?

I'd say its more of that people with plenty of money are stupid and go for overpriced shit while those of us with less money go for things of better value.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Discrete*

Mice*

anyway...

What your institution decides to spend it's money on is it's own decision. If they frit it away in ways that (insert whoever grants them money) find inappropriate, those grants will cease to exist. for people pursuing a degree in Graphic design/web design, Mac has long been the industry standard. Having a well-rounded knowledge with both Windows and OSX (and ever increasingly - Linux) is something that's going to give you an edge in the job market.

I'm not sure how Alienware fits in here.

As an alienware laptop owner, I'm offended. But as a laptop expert, I know full well there is no way to defend the fact I own this crap.  :lol:

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Alienware is nowhere near as apple

They are overpriced but their quality is just as a normal pc

But apple doesn't, their stuffs, while being overpriced, are at top-notch quality in the market

Recently I upgraded my Nexus 7 to an iPad Air 2. It's like swapping from a toyota to a mercedes benz

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

I'd say its more of that people with plenty of money are stupid and go for overpriced shit while those of us with less money go for things of better value.

Actually MacBooks are the best value you can get right now. Unmatched build quality, industry leading battery life...the list goes on.

I actually like Apple - hate me, I don't care - and feel that it's mostly justifiable to sell the low end iMacs at a price like that. I can also (almost) agree with the price point of Alienware laptops. But I cannot stand the Alienware desktops, not to mention the people who buy prebuilt computers for gaming anyway...

But hey, just feel lucky that your school didn't buy HP crapboxes with Pentiums and 1 GB of RAM :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Actually MacBooks are the best value you can get right now. Unmatched build quality, industry leading battery life...the list goes on.

I'd agree if the macs fit my needs... But it doesn't so... nope...

To be fair, you don't go to school to play graphically intensive games and for standard work at schools, there is nothing wrong with iMacs. As for Alienware, would never get a desktop from them (though the inner kid in me likes their cases), their laptops are actually p. good with the specs and build. 

You have to keep in kind schools don't care about beefy specs from custom rigs. They want their product in bulk and from one manufacturer to keep everything streamlined in case of any issue. Unlike the crappy Dell's I had to deal with when I was still in school, I doubt the Macs will be filled with as much student installed crap.

I actually like Apple - hate me, I don't care - and feel that it's mostly justifiable to sell the low end iMacs at a price like that. I can also (almost) agree with the price point of Alienware laptops. But I cannot stand the Alienware desktops, not to mention the people who buy prebuilt computers for gaming anyway...

But hey, just feel lucky that your school didn't buy HP crapboxes with Pentiums and 1 GB of RAM :)

Actually my school still uses Pentiums with ddr1 ram :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(   

As an alienware laptop owner, I'm offended. But as a laptop expert, know full well there is no way to defend the fact I own this crap.  :lol:

I'm not going to deny that Alienware is upselling the brand... but that doesn't mean that their hardware is bad.

I'm just unsure of how alienware fits into this rant, as it's focused on Apple, the school and their decisions, and lack of personal funding (which... i'm not sure I understand the correlation between in the first place)

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I bought my ipad mini with retina display fully aware of it's specifications. People who are tech savy are usually going to buy apple products because of the decent specifications for what they are supposed to do, and as well as their user interface. In my opinion I would never buy an android product. Windows tablets and phones look a little bit better but personally I like the user interface of IOS devices. They have good specs too, A7 chips perform fine for what they need to do.

I won't deny that their hardware is overpriced though, you really do pay for the name and the user interface. However most phones and tablets are overpriced. A new phone can cost anywhere from 100 - 500 dollars and sometimes even more. Personally I don't even want a phone but some people are willing to pay that price as well.

As for Alienware, they are overpriced as well. Their PCs aren't extremely overpriced but their laptops are by a lot. They are okay for kids who don't know how to build PCs and want something that will work perfectly for them as soon as they get it. 

Actually my school still uses Pentiums with ddr1 ram :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(   

Same bruh. Some actually have 512 MB cuz people have opened them up (not hard) and taken a DIMM out....

SO

DAMN

SLOW

But we have a few decent computers sprinkled around the school so it's not completely awful.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I am just saying the big companies are selling computers for a lot more what they should be worth.

even my elementary school was better ( I miss the core2duo e8400 and their ddr3 ram) *sigh*.

I am just saying the big companies are selling computers for a lot more what they should be worth.

Not at all.

Remember that these companies still need profit margins.

They put tons of money in designing(Apple), and marketing(Samsung), and tons of other researches and they need to be paid for some way!

what are you saying apple invented something?   :o  :o  :o  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

They're not stupid, they just don't know any better. You ask any person in a mall about a gaming PC and they'll likely say something like "Apple or Alienware" because it's the most expensive thing they can think of.

Hardware (or any product for that matter) is worth whatever the consumer is willing to pay.

Yes, it would be good guy Apple, or good guy Alienware if they sold their products at a smaller net-profit, however it would also be bad business, and a stab in the back to their shareholders.

Neither of these companies hold a monopoly in any of their distributed fields, and as such... as I said, the consumer sets the price.

also I like the new cigar roller apple made oh wait it was the iphone 6 apple products are not made equally.