Do school computers make you want to Die

Bit8xPr0

i wish i could bring in my rig to school. the only other person who has a good PC is my mate who has a gaming PC with an iv-bridge i7 and GTX 660 Ti. another mate claims that a two year old oudated gaming laptop with a 675M ( fermi lol) can compete with both of our desktops, so he doesnt count.

It is unfair that we have the burden of using school computers when we should bring our own in. 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Back when I was in high school the computers in the library (that no one used because few were actually good at reading) made loud noises when the hard drives had activity, and could barely handle ms word and wikipedia at the same time.

Needless to say we were not funded. Duct tape was often used very conservatively at that school.

this is my life

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

all of my school pcs have very old intel coreduos 1-2gb of ram, no gpu. however recently they bought 10 new pcs for the music department (why music department over DT and IcT???) which have 4gb of ram and i3s

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

My school has mostly cheap small... things from Sun Microsystems, but there is also an iMac room.

all of my school pcs have very old intel coreduos 1-2gb of ram, no gpu. however recently they bought 10 new pcs for the music department (why music department over DT and IcT???) which have 4gb of ram and i3s

so you use them with no display output? Is this school for the blind perhaps?  :P

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Core2 duo's aren't bad I did my exam on a pentium 4 with 512mb ram running xp sp3 that made me angry

I reinstalled one P4 with 768MB ram few weeks ago. That process was so painful that almost made me cry. Not enough ram is just awful.

so you use them with no display output? Is this school for the blind perhaps?  :P

the cpu has a built in gpu :P i meant no seperate gpu 

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

Lol my college library computers run off a virtual machine... All we get is a monitor, keyboard and mouse. It takes about 5 minutes to log into your account and other 2 for your desktop to fully load and to open an internet browser >.>

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Lol my college library computers run off a virtual machine... All we get is a monitor, keyboard and mouse. It takes about 5 minutes to log into your account and other 2 for your desktop to fully load and to open an internet browser >.>

Haha my collage has a quite few of these. Called thin clients. Use to have to support them when I worked IT. Terrible things, those machines. But we had really good server infrastructure, so they were at least fast. 

Cool thing though was since I had access to remote desktop admin credentials, I could use my laptop to connect to the thin client server through RDT. Could access any printer on the campus as well as my helpdesk tools and student info tools like that. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I just built 120 System's for a school here in SoCal. Would you guys like to know more ? -astro

Exactly the same on my end. The library is fully run off of virtual machines. We do have a fair few other computer labs though that range in pc specs.. Some or i5's with cheap nvidia cards while others are Core2 machines. Virtual machines may be a cost effective method but man are they slow on occasion.

CPU: i5 6500 | GPU: GTX 960 SSC | MOBO: Asus Z170m-Plus | RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill | Case: Fractal Designs Node 804 | PSU: EVGA 750w

Since when Core 2 Duo are bad?

I don't know since its bad but using it I'd horribly so its bad. I'm only saying its bad because I'm using it and its bad

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

Android Keyboard, I apologize

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

We have some Clarkdale/Lynnfield-era Pentiums (first gen Core, before Sandy Bridge) and 3GB of RAM. It's completely usable for basic stuff like Chrome, Word, and basic programming. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

My school has pc with any of the following in almost no particular order. Celerons, pentiums, and 4770k's with gt610's. The only ones that are actually decent are the 4770k's in the drafting room. They're used for 3d modeling and drafting class. The problem is they aren't using motherboards that would allow them to over clock them and the computers each have a single fan that blows exhaust out of the case with terrible inflow.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

My school has pc with any of the following in almost no particular order. Celerons, pentiums, and 4770k's with gt610's. The only ones that are actually decent are the 4770k's in the drafting room. They're used for 3d modeling and drafting class. The problem is they aren't using motherboards that would allow them to over clock them and the computers each have a single fan that blows exhaust out of the case with terrible inflow.

a K series CPU with no overclocking: EPIC FAIL!/

why cant schools ever get computer's right?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

a K series CPU with no overclocking: EPIC FAIL!/

why cant schools ever get computer's right?

I don't know. It's so bad, because the computers lag terribly when put under any sort of pressure. Even with these CPUs, I looked at the number of processes running at once and it was close to 250.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

Core2 duo's aren't bad I did my exam on a pentium 4 with 512mb ram running xp sp3 that made me angry

We have 2.2GHz Core 2 duos and other have God know what Pentium with 2GB of RAM and worse of all...VISTA!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

vista is everyone's enemy. My laptop at school has 2GB RAM, Pentium T4300 and VISTA lol, and it is Samsung, 

My school uses some HP desktop. Pretty powerful machines actually, but the server is slow as snails. The server is so slow that I decided to bring my laptop and just use that one instead.

I study animation and vfx, yet my school PCs are dual core xeons with 4 year old Quadro GPUs and 16 GB ram. only 3 Mac Pros have a reasonable amount of cores (8) and 32GB ram. it takes 1:47 minutes to boot into Win 8 -.-

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

I don't know.. should 28 iMacs make me cry?

And every single teacher has 13" retina MBPs

T8dFk1S.jpg

whGsF1v.jpg

ZGZ81rC.jpg

uGPYy2H.jpg

Sorry for bad quality pics... they were rushed.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Various rundown of my school's PC's.

The library - hunks of crap everywhere. Ancient HP's running pirated versions of Windows 7. Some have 512 MB of RAM rather than 1 because people have gotten smart and stolen a DIMM from the computers.

Computer science - less bad. Core 2 Duo's, 4GB RAM, 7200 RPM hard drives (but they have like 150GB storage). Really not bad. They're also hooked up to some 1080p HP monitors that I can't say are worse than the square boxes in the library (as well as the 2 or 3 labs scattered around the school).

Computer science teacher's beast PC - Watercooled FX 8350 OC'd to 4.4, 8GB of RAM, 2 SSD's, 2 TB of extra storage, GTX 760, all wrapped up in a Corsair 600T and hooked up to a projector as a monitor. Beast.

Design departments - 27 inch iMacs for the Photoshop crew (brand new-ish) and 21 inchers for the rest of the design departments. Not bad at all.

Teachers - all have the Dell Chromebook with 4GB RAM so it aint bad either.

There's a couple random labs with HP boxes with 4GB RAM and Pentiums that aren't too bad. 

It's a really mixed bag.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Remember the factor "school"

It always makes everything bad xD

I've a core 2 duo and it's very good...

No like seriously. Google Chrome takes 10 seconds to load the google page.