So raspberry pi?

Erfurt

Hey guys

So raspberry pi? I know I'm late on this subject, but what the heck...

Do think that the raspberry pi is powerfull enough to use for what ever you want to use it for? Or would you like to see it be more powerfull?

What do you use raspberry pi for? What would you like to use it for? Would you use a more powerfull raspberry pi like device, like lets say a banana pi or a hummingboard, even though the support isn't the great?

Have you made any fancy projects, you would like to share? Or are you planning on a fancy project?

Personally I would use a raspberry pi for a media center with either plex or xbmc. I'm also thinking about making a portable console for emulators, but I'm not sure if a raspberry pi has enough processing power to do that (comes down to what emulators I'm going to have on it).

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

I dont think that Raspbery Pi can handle smooth 1080p video playback. Wouldnt be very good media center.

Personally I would use a raspberry pi for a media center with either plex or xbmc. I'm also thinking about making a portable console for emulators, but I'm not sure if a raspberry pi has enough processing power to do that (comes down to what emulators I'm going to have on it).

It works fine for XBMC stuff and media playback! and basic emulators should be ok too, though dont expect anything graphical, old 80s arcade stuff, atari and things should be ok 

Although very high quality 1080p files and stuff will struggle, why not spend a little more and get a cheap NUC 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The Pi is a great little machine, but it simply isn't powerful enough to do anything very intensive.

Much like it's advertised as, I think it's target demographic is learning programming/coding, and general technology knowledge/how-to.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

The Pi is a great little machine, but it simply isn't powerful enough to do anything very intensive

I agree, but there isn't going be a new raspberry pi, before 2017, so it's either wait a couble of years or go with a less supported device like banana pi

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

It works fine for XBMC stuff and media playback! and basic emulators should be ok too, though dont expect anything graphical, old 80s arcade stuff, atari and things should be ok 

Although very high quality 1080p files and stuff will struggle, why not spend a little more and get a cheap NUC 

Gameboy emulation should be fine aswell, based on pretty much the same architecture

I have had a Raspberry Pi for about a year now and it is great. My favorite project so far has been building a pirate radio station. I want to find a way to watch Netflix on the Raspberry Pi, so that will probably be my next project.

The Pi is a great platform for light projects... But other than that, it's pretty weak... ODroid is one thing to consider...

The Pi is a great platform for light projects... But other than that, it's pretty weak... ODroid is one thing to consider...

ODroid is defintely an option, however we are talking about another price tag

Unless I had a 1000 of them and could run windows, I say no for my adobe media encoder render farm.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

ODroid is defintely an option, however we are talking about another price tag

True... The only thing more powerful than the Pi at that price point is one of them cheap smartphones... Or maybe the cheapest android tablet you can find (I remember seeing an Archos 7" for around 25USD)...

Personally, I'd use a Pi as a NAS controller or as a thin client... Maybe design an information kiosk with it and a touch screen module...

My brother has been using one for about 1 and a half years and it's awesome.

He uses it as a file server. He can access some files put on there, even outside our network.

He has allowed me to use it once too for a website, worked like a champ.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I have a Pi setup in my living room to stream twitch streams of my favorites for my dog when I go to work. It's just basic need to have noise in the background when I'm gone so he doesn't freak out. 

I dont think that Raspbery Pi can handle smooth 1080p video playback. Wouldnt be very good media center.

It's pretty good at 480p..... I don't have an HDTV so I'm not sure about higher resolutions. I think allocating more RAM to the GPU would make it perform better at 1080p.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Raspis are super weak.

They can only run basic things like mumble servers or a Ftp/Smb server at 3-4 mbps

It might run a Minecraft server. But max 1-2 people and Roughly 15 tps (of 20tps)

I don't know how good they are at web servers but I'm sure it doesn't Take too many people to crash it.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

It works great for xbmc especially the new b+ model also in xbmc you can overclock it so i would recommend that

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi