Mildly Interesting- Alienware Amplifier GPU Dock

ROK

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/27/alienware-graphics-amplifier/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/27/7079879/alienware-new-graphics-amplifier-laptop

Dell (Alienware) have debuted a product that allows you to use your desktop/PCI express GPU with your gaming laptop, which is quite interesting. If one of the nicer laptop manufacturers implemented something similar a gaming laptop would be a serious option for me (quad core i7 on a 15" laptop like the rMBP and use this GPU "dock" when gaming = win). Shame they made it proprietary. Stuff like this has already exists but we haven't seen much at the consumer level, from a large OEM, especially at this price point (cough Vaio Z cough cough)

alienware-dell-11_2040_verge_super_wide.

alienware-dell-8_2040_verge_super_wide.j

alienware-dell-6_2040_verge_super_wide.j

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Ehh. Sony did this with Light Peak. In 2011.

Thank Sony for helping the prototypes of Thunderbolt!

I also noticed that is a Dell PSU. Which are actually really good. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

or make one for $15

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

regardless of how niche this kind of product is the fact that they went proprietary is fucking stupid

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

We've seen a lot of finicky external GPU products in the past. Dell certainly has a better chance than past manufacturers, but it's a shame they didn't say anything about opening it up to other manufacturers.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Wasn't there a FireWire / Thunderbolt something GPU adapter too?

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Looks like it will be overpriced and cheaply made...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

How would one make this for $15 oh hypocrite master, I am intruiged

$55-65 gets you there :) With an alterntive product (Same deal, diff plug)

Where to Buy - http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Ehh. Sony did this with Light Peak. In 2011.

Thank Sony for helping the prototypes of Thunderbolt!

VAIO laptops had this a long time ago. It never caught on. Yawn

IIRC sony wanted like 2K for the dock

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

How would one make this for $15 oh hypocrite master, I am intruiged

:P

All you need is the dock and cable

mPcie and some dock for $15

but then again the GPU and PSU are another expense

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

yep, that guy has some pretty cool videos!

IIRC sony wanted like 2K for the dock

$800. Though it had a GPU, PSU, Blueray Drive, all the ports and ran off a technology that would not exist (In common laptops) until 2014. 

It's definitely not something I plan on buying, but I'm excited that this technology is starting to catch on. Maybe the second iteration won't be proprietary.

yep, that guy has some pretty cool videos!

Right now that wouldn't in theory have enough bandwidth to credit using it, what about running that to mini pcie to a thunderbolt 2 adapter then?

The cheaper alternatives are what most people are going to be using the 'their' older laptops with mPCIE.

This is silly, locking it to an Alienware product stack. They could have made much more money selling it as a standalone accessory.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

$800. Though it had a GPU, PSU, Blueray Drive, all the ports and ran off a technology that would not exist (In common laptops) until 2014. 

I assume by the 'technology that would not exist until 2014' you mean thunderbolt? Didn't apple put it in their macbook pros a few months after sony had it on their laptops?

EDIT: Thunderbolt initially shown off on a prototype mac pro.

xoxo samantha <3

There was. Is this essentially the same thing?

I assume by the 'technology that would not exist until 2014' you mean thunderbolt? Didn't apple put it in their macbook pros a few months after sony had it on their laptops?

Light Peak. Which was the prototype of Thunderbolt. Sony had a Light Peak prototype prototype at CES 2009.

It actually is faster than any thunderbolt we have right now because it was fibre. That's why Sony was able to get so much stuff and data over one cable. 

Sony VAIO. My first comment. 

The Alienware 13 laptop — announced this morning — will go down in history as the first ever laptop allowed into the vaulted, blustery, and mythical halls of True PC Gaming. While the laptop itself is just an upgraded version of the Alienware 14, it has a new peripheral that will blow your mind: the Alienware Graphics Amplifier, an external enclosure that allows you to attach a full-length desktop graphics card — such as the Nvidia GTX 980 or Radeon HD R9 295X2 — to your laptop. The price of desktop-like performance on your laptop, though, is steep: The Amplifier itself, without a graphics card, is $300 — and, sadly, it (currently) only works with the Alienware 13 laptop.

Engadget

Why only Alienware? It should be cross platform. Nice try, Alienware.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D