Is this card still relevant?

Go to solution Solved by ImBleu,

tbh Onboard sound nowadays is plenty good enough - Only really worth it if you have some high-end audio on your end and some FLAC files :)

Linus did a review on the 'AuzenTech X-FI Hometheater HD Sound Card' a few years back.

I know the card is old now in terms of 'technology years' but is there a better card out there today that does what this card does. Because I still have one and don't know wether it was a good idea in the end holding on to it. or if even onboard sound now does what this card can do. 

Any thoughts?

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black (2 Systems)
Watercooling by EKWB

System 1: 6 VM's (Streaming & Rendering VM, 2 Gaming VM's, x3 Game Servers and UnRAID)
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX (Watercooled)
RAM: Kingston 64GB (8x8GB) 2666Mhz ECC Buffered DDR4 (Watercooled)
MOB: Gigabyte X399 AORUS XTREME Motherboard
GPU: x2 ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, 8GB (Watercooled), EVGA GT 710 (for UnRAID)
SSD: x3 Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe, 3x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung 860 PRO 256GB SSD
HDD: 6x Western Digital WD Gold 10TB, WD101KRYZ (RAID 6)
PSU: EVGA 1600W SuperNOVA T2 Modular Power Supply (CableMOD Red/Black)

System 2: Main Gaming Machine
CPU: Intel Core i9 7900X (Watercooled)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
MOB: ASRock X299E-ITX/AC
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC, 11GB (Watercooled)
SSD: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB NVMe, Samsung 960 PRO 2TB NVMe, Intel Optane 32GB M.2 (PCIE) SSD, x2 Western Digital WD Green 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
PSU: Corsair HX1000i 1000W Power Supply (CableMOD Blue/Black)

All backed up by 4 UPS units.

tbh Onboard sound nowadays is plenty good enough - Only really worth it if you have some high-end audio on your end and some FLAC files :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Linus did a review on the 'AuzenTech X-FI Hometheater HD Sound Card' a few years back.

I know the card is old now in terms of 'technology years' but is there a better card out there today that does what this card does. Because I still have one and don't know wether it was a good idea in the end holding on to it. or if even onboard sound now does what this card can do. 

Any thoughts?

Follow a post you made with the follow on the top left.

Anyways, onboard audio is good for 95% of the people

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Thanks for the replies guys.

In reply to the comments, I do have very good headphones. Vmoda Crossfade M-100

I also do have a vast library of FLAC that I listen to, and carry around a Fiio Kunlun-E18 to use with my phone while I'm out an about. So I am an audiophile.

So with that in mind is this still a good card to hold onto? I also like the fact that this card gives me 'DTS-HD Master Audio' as I love to have that ability when watching movies. I remember watching Independence Day with Master Audio on, it was intense when the aliens attacked with the laser beam.

​I remember reading back when I bought this card that the ATI Radeon HD 5000 series cards were offering built in support for DTS-HD Master Audio but that was the last I ever heard of a video card offering support. Do current video cards offer this or did they leave it up to the onboard sound cards these days?

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black (2 Systems)
Watercooling by EKWB

System 1: 6 VM's (Streaming & Rendering VM, 2 Gaming VM's, x3 Game Servers and UnRAID)
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX (Watercooled)
RAM: Kingston 64GB (8x8GB) 2666Mhz ECC Buffered DDR4 (Watercooled)
MOB: Gigabyte X399 AORUS XTREME Motherboard
GPU: x2 ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, 8GB (Watercooled), EVGA GT 710 (for UnRAID)
SSD: x3 Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe, 3x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung 860 PRO 256GB SSD
HDD: 6x Western Digital WD Gold 10TB, WD101KRYZ (RAID 6)
PSU: EVGA 1600W SuperNOVA T2 Modular Power Supply (CableMOD Red/Black)

System 2: Main Gaming Machine
CPU: Intel Core i9 7900X (Watercooled)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
MOB: ASRock X299E-ITX/AC
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC, 11GB (Watercooled)
SSD: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB NVMe, Samsung 960 PRO 2TB NVMe, Intel Optane 32GB M.2 (PCIE) SSD, x2 Western Digital WD Green 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
PSU: Corsair HX1000i 1000W Power Supply (CableMOD Blue/Black)

All backed up by 4 UPS units.

I also do have a vast library of FLAC that I listen to, and carry around a Fiio Kunlun-E18 to use with my phone while I'm out an about. So I am an audiophile.

So with that in mind is this still a good card to hold onto? I also like the fact that this card gives me 'DTS-HD Master Audio' as I love to have that ability when watching movies. I remember watching Independence Day with Master Audio on, it was intense when the aliens attacked with the laser beam.

​I remember reading back when I bought this card that the ATI Radeon HD 5000 series cards were offering built in support for DTS-HD Master Audio but that was the last I ever heard of a video card offering support. Do current video cards offer this or did they leave it up to the onboard sound cards these days?

Well, honestly, I don't think the term 'audiophile' is based on the device you're using, though.

Definition may vary, but I like to think of the term 'audiophile' is like 'racer' (which is also a label given to people, based on their skills/condition). A guy is not automatically labelled a 'racer' by how many race car he owns/using.

About the card, well, it's actually your personal choice whether you'd want to hold on to it or not. Maybe I can give an example: 

Hi guys, I have this old mobile phone that's still operational. I love using it, and when it came out, it's one of the higher end. In term of technology, it's nothing compared to the smartphone that I'm using now. So is it a good idea to keep holding to my old phone?

IMO, the best, and simplest (and perhaps the most blatant) answer would be: hold on to it if you want to, get rid of it if you want to...

I still have the unbelievably old Diamond Monster MX audio card. Back in the day, its Aureal 3D was considered as one of the best HRTF implementation. If only someone is kind enough to make a windows 7 driver for it, I'd be very happy to use it again. It's still operational, but without the proper driver, it's seen by the windows as just a stereo audio card.

I don't consider your headphones to be 'very good', FLAC is same as MP3 in practice once you rid yourself of bias, and DTS HD is just lossless surround sound which turns into lossy surround sound on non-DTS HD hardware. I'd just sell it for whatever it's worth nowadays.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I don't consider your headphones to be 'very good', FLAC is same as MP3 in practice once you rid yourself of bias, and DTS HD is just lossless surround sound which turns into lossy surround sound on non-DTS HD hardware. I'd just sell it for whatever it's worth nowadays.

I always avoid selling obsolete electronic devices, if I can, for one single reason: avoid the butthurts.....

I bought a used Nokia phone several years ago, for ~$300, no box, only main unit + charger. Later on (in the age of Iphone 4, if I remembered correctly), I asked a store, how much will they give me for that phone, still operational. They said, ~$45. Nope.....I'm gonna use it as a paperweight.....

I always avoid selling obsolete electronic devices, if I can, for one single reason: avoid the butthurts.....

I bought a used Nokia phone several years ago, for ~$300, no box, only main unit + charger. Later on (in the age of Iphone 4, if I remembered correctly), I asked a store, how much will they give me for that phone, still operational. They said, ~$45. Nope.....I'm gonna use it as a paperweight.....

I would have taken the $45 xD. I thought it would be worth a lot less than that.

What do you mean by 'avoid the butthurts'? 

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

It means he's stubborn and rather hold onto it even though it doesn't do anything for him xD

Exactly. Selling that same thing for almost 1/10 of the 2nd hand price (meaning it's more than 1/10 compared to the new price) equals butthurt. I'd rather put it on my desk and stare at it until it melts....

Exactly. Selling that same thing for almost 1/10 of the 2nd hand price (meaning it's more than 1/10 compared to the new price) equals butthurt. I'd rather put it on my desk and stare at it until it melts....

r u a horder

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It's like that one guy on OCN that wouldn't sell me a used EVGA 780 ti for $350. I eventually got a new MSI one from Newegg for $335. He literally said if he didn't get $400 for it he would just put it on a shelf to collect dust. 

You must have some pretty expensive paperweights, lol.

I sold my STX for like $40 off. Oh well, it's still money. Are you sure the price has dropped that much for the OP's card? I think selling it on OCN or Headfi would be ok if you wait around for somebody to offer a decent price.