First video game you had/wanted to upgrade your computer for

Orblivion

CS1.6. We needed real video card :) Next was BF2, then BF3 for me.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

First Splinter Cell. I upgraded soon after it came out. Other games have run poorly since (Crysis anyone) but this was the first that wouldn't run on the video card I had at the time and specifically upgraded for. Since then I just lower the settings to make it playable but don't change my upgrade plans for a single game.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

When pixel shader 3.0 was announced everyone was losing their minds and guess who was asking for it Ubisoft! At least back then they cared about PC tho. But i think this always happens when the pixel shader changes. ''Splinter Cell Double Agent will NOT support anything older than pixel shader 3.0 at the time of release''

"Who are you the King of Siam, you got to get the best one? Who cares? They’re all the same these machines. They’re all made from the same asian suffering." - Louie Season 3 Episode 10, GO WATCH IT NOW.

Well both Doom3 and Half Life 2 (at the same time).

But in general I try to look for industry trends rather than individual games.

I needed a new GPU for Team Fortress 2, and I actually overheated the iGPU with it multiple times. So, the motherboard died. It had a Pentium D anyway, so not a too big loss.

Later, I upgraded for Left 4 Dead 2. I could finally run at glorious high settings at 1440x900 or 1280x800! (I used a 16:10 monitor back then)

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Honestly, the Tony Hawk games. They were the first games I played on a PC ever, but my PC couldn't handle them very well.

Battlefield 2 - Started out with a 6800 AGP. Built a new machine, but I forget what card it started with. I do remember that rig ended up with a watercooled BFG 8800 GTS. 

The first was probably Morrowind.

Up until that point I had always had powerful enough hardware to do just about anything, then Morrowind came along and cockslapped my computer.

Ironically, Oblivion was the one after that again, lol.

Elder Scrolls troll me so.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Bioshock Infinite...my computer was barely capable of running Bioshock never mind at a decent resolution.

My first upgrade was the nVidia GeForce2 MX200 for my wicked Pentium 2 233Mhz so I could play THPS2.

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

My laptop could handle minecraft med settings 60 fps, But Guns of Icarus online lagged at 20 fps and Cube world was borderline playable at 28 ish.

War of the roses barley ran at 12 and really, Stuff wasn't fun.

So I got a gaming PC , now I'm rocking the 60 Fps max if not almost max settings.

But Minecraft at 32 Chunk render distance brings my Computer to it's knees with the whole 4225 Chunks around me (each chunk being a 16*16*256 Rectangle.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

The first Far Cry.. It was glorious fully maxed out at 1680x1050... AA was still scary to run at the time though. I had an ATI X800 Pro, or XT.... Then Doom 3 was another that pushed my system.

However, when I first played Halo CE when it first came out on my friends OC'd P4 and 9800 PRO I was hooked on what computer game graphics could do. I had really only paid games like Starcraft prior to that, which isn't very demanding.

Edit, come to think of it I did play a lot of Motocross Madness and Need for Speed on an old Voodoo graphics card... But I wasn't in control of ugprading the system at that point so I didn't really understand and the games just "worked".

Battlefield 3 and Guild Wars 2 made me upgrade my PC. At the time I had a build that was meant for COD4 and CSS

Some old lego MMO when I was younger, moved from a core 2 duo vista laptop with 4 GB of ram and integrated graphics, to an athlon II x4 W/ an 8600GT (It was $10 and I needed a gpu after I ran out of budget, don't hate me) with double the ram.

Man, I remember when Win7 was the new kid on the block, feels like ages ago.

i'm about to upgrade from a crappy ultrabook mainly because I cant find a single game that can play above 15 fps

i'm about to upgrade from a crappy ultrabook mainly because I cant find a single game that can play above 15 fps

Ultrabooks aren't crappy. They certainly aren't gaming machines. You're using your ultrabook for the wrong purposes.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

Doom 3 and Quake 4 in 2004, The Witcher 2 in 2010 and The Witcher 3 now.

Well, other than The Witcher 3 I want to play some S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mods that I can't run decently with my current rig ( Phenom II 955, GTX 470, 4 GB RAM ).

My weakest computer that I ever really gamed on had an i7 and a 640m.... So, I have to say AC Unity because my 670 will apparently get wrecked

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop