Apple's new A8X processor dominates the benchmarks

solosdk

How on earth do phones benefit from multi-core processors? And why are they being benchmarked? Even the tablets are meant for similar processes and a multi-core processor seems like pointless flare for shareholders. Pfff.

Whatever sells, I guess. As a consumer I'm annoyed but as an investor, power to them. >_>

Every phone/tablet/device that runs a mobile OS is benchmarked and compared to the rest. This isn't new. Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

You're basically saying "these tests aren't fair because android runs more shittily than iOS".

Android is not clunky, just more intensive. Like Dos to Windows.

And this was more my point

Also, the 801 is just a overclocked 800 with 4K video capability. So the brand new phone is against the CPU from Q3 2013. 

Just wait till the 810 in the Xperia Z4. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

This really doesn't say a whole lot as to “why”...

So we can compare the power between them all. Seriously? Do you not know what a benchmark does? 

Android is not clunky, just more intensive. Like Dos to Windows.

And this was more my point

Android isn't clunky completely stock. Add widgets and apps that have more access than apple will allow and soon you have an OS that is sub standard. I got tired of android always running shitty after very small amounts of usage. 

Also your point of pointing out that they re-used a cpu with a slight overclock is somehow apples fault. There will always be a better cpu/gpu/benchmark score. I don't really care about benchmarks. I don't play games on my phone, I just want it to work well all the time. 

Yes, I do. Do you know what a benchmark is for? They're trivial in mobile computing.

They are trivial in computing in general then if that's your stance. It's a method of ranking hardware via numbers. 

Interesting, good to see that they produce very nice chips. However, I'd still never buy an Apple product, so...

How does multi-platform benchmark work with phones?

I'm pretty sure it's not balanced considering that iOS is much lighter. 

Also, the 801 is just a overclocked 800 with 4K video capability. So the brand new phone is against the CPU from Q3 2013. 

Just wait till the 810 in the Xperia Z4. 

There are a lot more differences between the 800 and 801 than that...

*plays BF4 on iPhone*

yeah umm really who cares it's a cell phone not a gaming rig or a supercomputer. It's to call people and kill time with flash games, that's it. Angry Birds and your boss, 7 days a week. My two-year-old Samsung Galaxy Reverb can do that, so what's the applicable difference with this?

I play 3D games on my phone. Granted not often, but I do if I'm bored on the ferry or something of that nature.

I also use it to place bids, which is one of the ways I make a living. It requires fast loading times. Better processors, faster loading, win.

Just because you don't make use of it, doesn't mean no one does.

That's not my stance, though. The applications on mobile devices don't consume enough of the performance spectrum to warrant attentiveness to performance benchmarks, unlike desktop computers. Their chunk within the realm of usability is rather small in the scheme of things.

They won't be able to if the power isn't there.

It is, so if someone wanted to, they could take advantage. Someone might. Never know.

Most people don't use anywhere near the amount of horsepower their car has. Yet, there it is.

Welcome to the real world.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Oh em Geee!!! My phones haz teh l33t specs and all da quad corez it so fast.

*Shows benchmarks*

h4h4444 benchmarkz dunt matter cuz Appul h44hh4h4!

That's not my stance, though. The applications on mobile devices don't consume enough of the performance spectrum to warrant attentiveness to performance benchmarks, unlike desktop computers. Their chunk within the realm of usability is rather small in the scheme of things.

I don't care what your stance is. I was describing the purpose of a benchmark. Your opinion of what a benchmark is doesn't change the fact that it's a measuring system for hardware. 

It ain't no monster, the A8X trades blows in single core performance with the 801. The 810 is coming to the market next year packing eight (4+4) 20nm cores. So not long after the new Apple devices go on sale Qualcomm will be shipping these monsters for commercial use. I rather wait 4-6 months for an Android device with what will be a much faster SoC (Android 5.0 also supports 64-bit).

Really? That was a quick flip right there.

I suppose you have a point with bidding and the like. As far as 3D on-the-fly rendering (for the games you mentioned), wouldn't the device's GPU benchmarks be more pertinent, though? There's no need to be bitter about it - both overpowered phones and overpowered cars are superfluous selling points for the majority of consumers. At the end of the day those pointless bullets on the spec sheet sell, and that's all that matters to investors and corporate folk, right?

They are trivial, just like any ranking system. That doesn't take away from the fact that it's still a ranking system.  You suck at logic. 

o_O

Doesn't triviality in the field of statistics mean something along the lines of “close to pointless”?

That doesn't mean they don't exist. 

Uhhh... phone benchmarking is largely inconsequential for the majority of its consumer base...? O.o

So, it's the exact same as pc hardware bench marking then? You do have a point here right? 

It ain't no monster, the A8X trades blows in single core performance with the 801. The 810 is coming to the market next year packing eight (4+4) 20nm cores. So not long after the new Apple devices go on sale Qualcomm will be shipping these monsters for commercial use. I rather wait 4-6 months for an Android device with what will be a much faster SoC (Android 5.0 also supports 64-bit).

Take another look at it. The iPhone 6 scored 1625 for single core performance, the Nexus 9-1807, and the iPad air 2 1812, the o+o scored 968. In multi-core, the Apple dual cores are pretty even with the Snapdragon quad cores.

Take another look at it. The iPhone 6 scored 1625 for single core performance, the Nexus 9-1807, and the iPad air 2 1812, the o+o scored 968. In multi-core, the Apple dual cores are pretty even with the Snapdragon quad cores.

So are you saying the ipad air 2 beat the nexus 9 by 0.28% in a benchmark that many say has no real world value yet this is considered domination by some?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Pretty awesome, I am quite excited to get a 128gb air 2, more gaming :3

Finally I can move away from my heavy and slow(ish) iPad 4 32gb - my mum and dad can have that

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's not the same as PC hardware benchmarking, no. Desktop computers cover an egregiously larger spectrum of applications compared to mobile computing and are much more applicable to performance testing than the mobile consumer device market. Full fledged computers are everything from your personal PC to the server clusters running Google. The mobile market, while not insignificant, is on a far smaller playing field than its older brother, making hardware testing less important all around. Mobile benchmarking's lack of traction is further compounded by the fact that its consumer base are far more heavily populated by average people and far less populated by the technologically savvy, unlike the apparent desktop market.

It's a matter of who's using it and what they're using it for that decides how useful a stat sheet really is to buyers, really.

It's the same bullshit. All it does is measure the capabilities of the hardware. It's a method of giving hardware a number representing it's level of power. I don't understand why this is so complicated for you. 

Well obviously Tablet v Phone comparisons are no good. Phones have a TDP of ~2W whereas tablets typically go up to 5W.

But it's nice to see apple pushing performance :)

The process of obtainment is similar but the application of the data is vastly different. Maybe that's what you don't understand.

But it's not. It's still a ranking system to rank hardware specs. They are the same. Just because you don't think they are the same doesn't mean they aren't. 

meh, I think the tegra k1 will still perform better in gpu focused tasks.

I know for damn sure the tegra K1 will perform better.

gpu wise

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

So are you saying the ipad air 2 beat the nexus 9 by 0.28% in a benchmark that many say has no real world value yet this is considered domination by some?

Consider this the iPad and iPhone are clocked at half the speed of the nexus 9 and yet has similar single threaded performance.

How on earth do phones benefit from multi-core processors? And why are they being benchmarked? Even the tablets are meant for similar processes and a multi-core processor seems like pointless flare for shareholders. Pfff.

Whatever sells, I guess. As a consumer I'm annoyed but as an investor, power to them. >_>

The new iPads  since 2013 have iLife, aka iMovie, Garageband and iPhoto, and now Pixelmator is coming to iOS as well.

So if you want to can edit and produce music on it. 

Not something I would personally do, but it's there for folks that want it.

I don't see why a consumer should ever be unhappy about better performance and better technology. Could you imagine if no one wanted to move from single core 16-bit CPUs because that's all a consumer wanted at the time?

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I dont count that as 'open' but im not here to argue about it

there are benefits to being open as much as there are benefits to being closed.

we are comparing processors here, not ecosystem design philosphy.

having a processor that destroys every other processor except for one in single core and absolutely everything in muiti-core is a pretty amazing thing, especially when you consider that it's running a full 1ghz less than most other SOCs.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein