Super paranoid about static...

Apothem

Building my first ever build in less than 24 hours, have to take my last exam first. I know i can do everything but im worried about the static part. Im building on wood floors on vinyl ish card tables. Ill be touching the metal on my haf 922 and my PSU when its plugged in, but not on. Should i be all good? any tips?

Dont wear socks. and dont shuffle your feet, but if you touch the case every so often you will be fine.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

One tip, dont be too paranoid, touch some grounded metal and you ll be fine, personally i built my pc on a carpet so... yeah im fearless like that but i never had a problem

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Just make sure you touch something that is conncted to ground, that be a plugged in PSU, a radiator or your case and you should be fine

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Touch ground every couple minutes if you're really paranoid, but unless you're in a really dry climate just touch your ground whenever you remember to (10-15 minutes). I was worried about it when I started building as well, but all fears pass with confrontation.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Buy an anti-static wrist strap if your that worried?

Case: Corsair 500R ¦ Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 ¦ CPU: i5-3570K @  4.7Ghz ¦ Cooler: H100i ¦ Graphics: MSI R7950 Twin Frozer III ¦ PSU: Corsair CX750M ¦ Storage: 1x OCZ Agility 3 120gb, 1x Seagate 500gb, 1x WD 1TB Blue ¦¦

that's what I did...

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

well.. that costs money...

Plug in a psu and make sure the plug is off. Put a hand or clip a wrist strap attached to the psu to keep you grounded.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

well.. that costs money...

So does you components if you shock them...

Case: Corsair 500R ¦ Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 ¦ CPU: i5-3570K @  4.7Ghz ¦ Cooler: H100i ¦ Graphics: MSI R7950 Twin Frozer III ¦ PSU: Corsair CX750M ¦ Storage: 1x OCZ Agility 3 120gb, 1x Seagate 500gb, 1x WD 1TB Blue ¦¦

If you live like in the Netherlands you could just touch the ground pin that's on the power sockets... - that also grounds you.

Or just touch large metal objects, for instance the fridge or whatever (make sure to touch metal)

So many things I could write here... things like this.

One tip, dont be too paranoid, touch some grounded metal and you ll be fine, personally i built my pc on a carpet so... yeah im fearless like that but i never had a problem

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Keep your PSU plugged in to the wall socket (but turned off) and you'll be fine if you touch it now and again.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Try to hold all circuit boards by their edges.

Don't bother with an anti-static wrist strap. If you touch the power supply a lot, it won't really matter.

Some random advice of how to avoid things that are more likely to happen than static damage:

Make sure your motherboard standoffs are tight so that they don't come out of the case when you screw them in.

Makes sure your 8 pin CPU power connector reaches the connector on the motherboard before you screw the motherboard in. My last case had the 8 pin cutout partially blocked by the motherboard.

Get a screwdriver with a magnetic head, if you can. They are really useful. Lost screws suck.

Test the motherboard outside of the case before installing it.

Buy a tube of TIM even if you plan on using the stock heat sink. It's easy to screw up installing it and have to redo it, especially if you have a stock Intel cooler. I like IC diamond, personally.

Listen the odd of you static-ing out your PC while building it are tiny, I have built loads on a carpet shuffling my feet about, and never once had a problem..Static is possible, but highly unlikely.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I would buy an anti static wrist strap and strap it on the fan grill of the powered off but plugged in psu to ground yourself.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Don't be so paranoid, if you're careful and pay attention, you have nothing to worry about.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Don't worry. Ground yourself, then have fun. I've known people who have built PC's for decades and never given a care in the world to static. 

#KILLEDMYWIFE

take off your watch and take your cellphone out of your pocket

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64

I build on carpet.. A lot.

i do to.  honestly ive never had a problem with static...  Thats not to say don't be cautious, just don't get too worked up.

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64

Building my first ever build in less than 24 hours, have to take my last exam first. I know i can do everything but im worried about the static part. Im building on wood floors on vinyl ish card tables. Ill be touching the metal on my haf 922 and my PSU when its plugged in, but not on. Should i be all good? any tips?

I was really scared about that during my first build but there isnt really a need for a anti staitc wrist band if you ground your self every so often :)

I was paranoid the first time I built a computer too! As long as you don't decide to do the electric slide on a carpet with socks on, I think you'll be fine. :)

I grounded myself with a plugged in [and off] PSU. I believe I only touched it 3 times because I forget easily.

Good luck!

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990