970 vs 780 Ti Which card REALLY wins?

MeesterJackson

You cant overclock 7xx GPUs as much as you can with 9xx on average.Its very rare to get a 780ti that will do 1400MHz like a 970 can easily do...

Either way, if you can find a 780ti for <$400 then its worth it, but for $450+ you should just save up for a 980 instead.

They are not the same GPU so not apples to apples.

I have Asus 780 and its same as MSI 970 

So 780ti must be faster 

But i love GTX 970 it is silent 

DSR, MFAA, DX12, Voxel shading.

780 Ti cant do those.

Also 145w vs 250w.

Linus is my fetish.

You cant overclock 7xx GPUs as much as you can with 9xx on average.Its very rare to get a 780ti that will do 1400MHz like a 970 can easily do...

Either way, if you can find a 780ti for <$400 then its worth it, but for $450+ you should just save up for a 980 instead.

I can't "save up" I'm using my left over college funds from this semester. Meaning it's now or never. I don't have a job yet. If the 780 Ti is more powerful, then I'm going for it. I'm just trying to get an idea somewhat of which one you think is better because you keep kinda beating around the bush with it a bit. Do you think it's stronger than the 970? Yes or no? lol 

Where did you get 1400Mhz from? The 780 Ti's 1200Mhz beats the 970's 1400Mhz lol. 

Raw FPS isn't all that matters, the 780 Ti is not as future proof as the 970.

Also a 970 with MFAA will ALWAYS beat a 780 Ti running MSAA with no difference to visual quality.

Linus is my fetish.

DSR, MFAA, DX12, Voxel shading.

780 Ti cant do those.

Also 145w vs 250w.

Those are all features. They don't impact game performance by that much. You act as if MSAA is so out of date already when it's not. MFAA isn't even in a ton of games yet. 

DSR just improves small things in resolution I could care less about. 

DX12 isn't out yet. 

No clue what Voxel shading is, probably don't care. 

The only thing I'm interested in is that TDP which is nice but it's not stopping me from buying a higher performing card for not that much more. 

Raw FPS isn't all that matters, the 780 Ti is not as future proof as the 970.

Also a 970 with MFAA will ALWAYS beat a 780 Ti running MSAA with no difference to visual quality.

For just straight up performance it is nearly. It beats the 970 first off, I think you meant 980. 

The 980 is slightly better on average than the 780 Ti, but it's a monster overclocker. Apparently it's routine to get it to 1.5GHz. I've got mine at 1.35 and it works fine, I'll probably push it some more and see what I can do with it.

The 970 however, I don't think can beat the 780 Ti at all. Maybe if we get Classy/Lightning cards for it for some reason, it'll OC past it like some of the 780s did, but I doubt it.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

You know it seems like you had already made up your mind before creating this thread. What is the point if you are only going carry on believing your own opinions and not caring in the slightest about anyone else?

Newer features mean a lot to most people, just go and buy GTX 780 Tis if that's what you want.

Linus is my fetish.

And don't forget that GTX 970s are still on their very first drivers while the 780 Ti already have mature and fully optimised drivers.

New drivers will gradually improve the performance of the GTX 900 cards, and may eventually put them well ahead of the 780 ti.

Linus is my fetish.

I can't "save up" I'm using my left over college funds from this semester. Meaning it's now or never. I don't have a job yet. If the 780 Ti is more powerful, then I'm going for it. I'm just trying to get an idea somewhat of which one you think is better because you keep kinda beating around the bush with it a bit. Do you think it's stronger than the 970? Yes or no? lol 

Where did you get 1400Mhz from? The 780 Ti's 1200Mhz beats the 970's 1400Mhz lol. 

I think that the 780ti can be more powerful yes if you overclock it, but if a 780ti is going to cost you over $450 I would just get a binned 970 from gigabyte and overclock it to 1500MHz+

Its hard to say how they will compare not knowing what clock speeds you will get, but I can pretty much guarantee a binned 970 will perform better than any air cooled 780ti.

Also consider the fact that the 780ti will depreciate faster, having a lower resale value in the future for your next upgrade.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Considering most 970s boost to 1500mhz with ease, and extra 1Gb vram, the 970 is clearly a winner. However with dropping value of 780tis, it becomes difficult.

Considering most 970s boost to 1500mhz with ease, and extra 1Gb vram, the 970 is clearly a winner. However with dropping value of 780tis, it becomes difficult.

Mhz means nothing. That's like saying the 9590 beats the 4790k because it's clocked higher. VRAM also technically means nothing as well. That would be like saying the 290X beats the 780 Ti. 

I think that the 780ti can be more powerful yes if you overclock it, but if a 780ti is going to cost you over $450 I would just get a binned 970 from gigabyte and overclock it to 1500MHz+

Its hard to say how they will compare not knowing what clock speeds you will get, but I can pretty much guarantee a binned 970 will perform better than any air cooled 780ti.

Also consider the fact that the 780ti will depreciate faster, having a lower resale value in the future for your next upgrade.

The 970 OC'd loses to the 780 Ti OC'd. The only time I think the 970 is literally breathing behind it's back is if you do actually get it past 1500Mhz which isn't guaranteed obviously. 780 Ti 1200Mhz+ beats 970 1400Mhz+ by quite a bit. 

I said 420 to 450 and higher. Meaning prices start at 420. Some have MIRs too. The best 970 is 410 USD. So...10 dollars more possibly for a higher performing card that may even be cheaper after MIR lol. I think some of them go down to 380 with MIR.

Then...I just won't sell it, I'd probably give it to someone then.

Bottom line dude, I just want you to get a better understanding of where I'm coming from. But you mis-interpreted the prices earlier, so maybe now you do. If I have enough for the 980, I'll definitely grab it, if not, then the second best thing is the 780 Ti. That's what I'm trying to get you to understand. The 970 just doesn't flat out beat it, it catches up, but that's all.  

The 970 OC'd loses to the 780 Ti OC'd. The only time I think the 970 is literally breathing behind it's back is if you do actually get it past 1500Mhz which isn't guaranteed obviously. 780 Ti 1200Mhz+ beats 970 1400Mhz+ by quite a bit. 

I said 420 to 450 and higher. Meaning prices start at 420. Some have MIRs too. The best 970 is 410 USD. So...10 dollars more possibly for a higher performing card that may even be cheaper after MIR lol. I think some of them go down to 380 with MIR.

Then...I just won't sell it, I'd probably give it to someone then.

Bottom line dude, I just want you to get a better understanding of where I'm coming from. But you mis-interpreted the prices earlier, so maybe now you do. If I have enough for the 980, I'll definitely grab it, if not, then the second best thing is the 780 Ti. That's what I'm trying to get you to understand. The 970 just doesn't flat out beat it, it catches up, but that's all.  

K obviously you already had decided in your head that the 780ti is better even before you started this topic.

From everything I see in the benchmarks, the 970 and 780ti trade blows, a binned 970 performs better, and future driver updates will keep improving the 970s performance in current games.

So if you disagree with my opinion you should probably not be making topics like this to waste other peoples time.

Buy whatever you want. Have a nice day.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

K obviously you already had decided in your head that the 780ti is better even before you started this topic.

From everything I see in the benchmarks, the 970 and 780ti trade blows, a binned 970 performs better, and future driver updates will keep improving the 970s performance in current games.

So if you disagree with my opinion you should probably not be making topics like this to waste other peoples time.

Buy whatever you want. Have a nice day.

I didn't have the thought in my head until like halfway through the post when everyone kept recommending the 780 Ti and I started looking up more research on it because of that. Holy shit dude no need to get so worked up about it. I still needed the "yes" or "no" answer from a group of people before deciding to actually do some research on the card. It wasn't really a waste. All you did was show benchmarks from DigitalStorm. All those Crysis 3 and BF4 clips are from them too if I remember correctly, so you only gave me one source to work with while I saw that Linus, Hardware Canucks, TekSyndicate, TechofTomorrow and more showed the Ti winning. 

Look, I'm sorry if you thought this was a waste of time alright? It wasn't to me. It's just when you've got a shit ton of people saying "get the Ti" and like 2 to 3 people trying to explain why the 970 is better, it's kind of confusing alright? 

Apologies. 

You know it seems like you had already made up your mind before creating this thread. What is the point if you are only going carry on believing your own opinions and not caring in the slightest about anyone else?

Newer features mean a lot to most people, just go and buy GTX 780 Tis if that's what you want.

That was never the case, as I just explained to Enderman, I only made the decision to side with the 780 Ti was when EVERYONE besides you, him, and like one other guy recommended the 780 Ti and I did some research on it due to that. I was completely blank and open for suggestions at the start of the post. 

I am a guy that likes to review MULTIPLE benchmarks of something. If you only give me one source saying the 970 wins and the others I see show the Ti winning, I have no choice but to heavily question you. I'm sorry if I was coming off as a jerk. I wasn't trying to. Enderman kept showing me the same results from DigitalStorm. I wanted to see other sources, he never gave me others. So I kept questioning him and you. 

A 780ti is more powerful than a 970.  Anyone who says differently is doesn't have any idea what they're talking about.  Maxwell currently has features that will come to Kepler cards, including DSR with future driver updates.  The nvidia reps already said this in interviews with PCper.  The only argument that can be made for the 970 is the lower price and higher VRAM which may help in the future.  However, even Shadow of Mordor which is supposed to use 6gb or VRAM on ultra textures runs awesome on a 780 ti.  They are both great cards but a 780ti is definitely more powerful, contrary to a lot of the nonsense that has been said in this thread.  An overclocked 970 may beat a stock 780ti but you can get a evga classy for $450 that's already overclocked and will shit all over the 970's chest.

Nvidia intended for these cards to be a successor to the 600 series. It even says it on their website.

With Maxwell, CUDA core efficiency was increased by 40%. With that information, we can see what these cards are equivalent to. 

1664 + 40% = 2329. That's remarkably close to the CUDA count of the 780, with 2304.

2048 + 40% = 2867. Again, this is close to the 780 Ti's CUDA count of 2880.

This is what the 700 series should have been, if 4K was adopted at a faster rate than what it is.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

So actually that 40% increased efficiency seems to fit Maxwell's performance perfectly, additionally they also OC a lot more, and have heaps more cache and better compression techniques for the memory controller.

Linus is my fetish.

Mhz means nothing? k.

Find me a 1200mhz 780Ti which beats a 1500mhz GTX970.

vram means nothing? Do you even watch dogs?

It'll be fun in the next few years to see people kicking themselves for paying top dollar for 2/4Gb GPUs when even high end laptops come with 8gb(970/980M) or 6Gb(860M) as standard. And not to mention the unoptimized console ports which entirely use all the 5.5GB (or maybe more depending on optimization), sorry but a card which is better with higher vram is clearly the better investment. Otherwise be prepared to play with low/medium textures on a 780.

Ok, conspiracy theory time.

The initial drivers for GTX 970 / 980 have them underperforming so that Nvidia can get their Keplers sold off. Once all the keplers are sold and EoL, Nvidia then releases a magic driver that boosts Maxwell performance by another 40%.

Linus is my fetish.

Ok, conspiracy theory time.

The initial drivers for GTX 970 / 980 have them underperforming so that Nvidia can get their Keplers sold off. Once all the keplers are sold and EoL, Nvidia then releases a magic driver that boosts Maxwell performance by another 40%.

Maybe not 40 but 20-25% is pretty real :) 

Mhz means nothing? k.

It'll be fun in the next few years to see people kicking themselves for paying top dollar for 2/4Gb GPUs when even high end laptops come with 8gb(970/980M) or 6Gb(860M) as standard. And not to mention the unoptimized console ports which entirely use all the 5.5GB (or maybe more depending on optimization), sorry but a card which is better with higher vram is clearly the better investment. Otherwise be prepared to play with low/medium textures on a 780.

What world are you living in?  You come to a Linus Tech Tips site, where every video he has produced has confirmed that a 780ti is faster than a gtx 970.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GbfmIuL86k&list=UUXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw  Here is the link since you are clearly too lazy to look up any information for yourself.  The overclocked 780ti runs 2 frames slower than a 980 running at 1500 mhz.  The Amp Omega, which is running at 1546 mhz according to the overclocking doc found on this site is 13 frames slower than the 780ti in watch dogs and slower in every other game as well.  

Mhz means nothing? k.

I own both a 780ti Classified and a 970 acx sc.

The 970 @1459 mhz is still not faster than the 780ti at 1228mhz.

My 780ti at 1459 mhz recks anything out there. Even moreso at 1500+.

To the op this is a troll thread.

No 970 is faster than gk110 please refine your information gathering.

this is total nonsense.

Yo soy el hombre murciélago