970 vs 780 Ti Which card REALLY wins?

MeesterJackson

You know...CUDA cores don't stack in SLI right? Why do you have 2 of them for just rendering things? 

no real reason besides me liking a lot of gpu in a system. been thinking of putting a 3rd one but not with the availability and current budget right now and another block too.

wallet right now says no go.

Live your life like a dream.

In that case you will never know because of the silicon lottery.

If you get lucky like linus, your 780ti could outperform any 970. Or if you get lucky with a 970 then it would outperform the 780ti.

So really its not possible to know which card will perform better until you have bought it...

6817.png

no real reason besides me liking a lot of gpu in a system. been thinking of putting a 3rd one but not with the availability and current budget right now and another block too.

wallet right now says no go.

Pfffttt. 

Pfffttt. 

I tend to go with what I want instead of what I need although sadly there are many times my wallet disagree with me  :(

Live your life like a dream.

I guess the 970 would win because it's the better overclocker with haswell and better power usage

Screenshot12_zps16108212.jpg

Screenshot9_zps197a8e85.jpg

Screenshot10_zpse537f0c0.jpg

Screenshot11_zpsa1b86b41.jpg

Even a gold sample highly OC able GTX 970 is still just on par with an OC 780 barley.

I guess the 970 would win because it's the better overclocker with haswell and better power usage

Not at all. 970 is typically not as fast as a 780. Best case is a really expensive and exotic GTX 970 like the AMP Extreme is just barley on par with an OCed 780 and still nowhere near an OC 780ti.

Not at all. 970 is typically not as fast as a 780. Best case is a really expensive and exotic GTX 970 like the AMP Extreme is just barley on par with an OCed 780 and still nowhere near an OC 780ti.

Well remember, Linus got a gold sample 780 Ti. 

Well remember, Linus got a gold sample 780 Ti. 

He also uses a golden sample 780 non ti.

He also uses a golden sample 780 non ti.

Well doesn't that hurt your cause a little then? It's quite obvious he's not getting very good overclocker's for the 970. 

Well doesn't that hurt your cause a little then? It's quite obvious he's not getting very good overclocker's for the 970. 

Not at all. The Zotac AMP Extreme represents the epitome of OCed GTX 970 cards with boss power delivery and over built quality. The Asus STRIX is a great card for what it is which is a solid built and low noise card even though you forgo 1 to 5fps on the max OC compared to some other more expensive and exotic 970 cards.

Not at all. The Zotac AMP Extreme represents the epitome of OCed GTX 970 cards with boss power delivery and over built quality. The Asus STRIX is a great card for what it is which is a solid built and low noise card even though you forgo 1 to 5fps on the max OC compared to some other more expensive and exotic 970 cards.

That's not the point, even if a chip is cherry picked, you can still get a bad overclocker. It's not 100% guaranteed. 

That's not the point, even if a chip is cherry picked, you can still get a bad overclocker. It's not 100% guaranteed. 

All 970x will perform within a stones throw of each other when under max OC. At best you might get an extra 1 to 6fps with a gold sample OCed 970.

All 970x will perform within a stones throw of each other when under max OC. At best you might get an extra 1 to 6fps with a gold sample OCed 970.

Well what do you think about these Benchmarks then? 

Well what do you think about these Benchmarks then? 

That's an OCed 970 vs reference 780 and the 870 still looses more often than not.

I'm not the one buying it...

If you seriously want to get a 780ti that bad then go head, its not my problem. I was just showing you that the 970 is almost just as good, and better when overclocked.

So I just found out that this isn't really a good benchmark to follow under lol. 

The 780 Ti does beat the 970, however the reason why the 970 looks better sometimes is because during actual gameplay, the 780 Ti simply dips a bit more often than the 970. Lets say you're playing Crysis 3 for example, you cap off the FPS at 80. The 970 will stay closer to the 80 FPS (if the game is on High for example, not Very High as both cards can't run it maxed out staying over 60 FPS) than the 780 Ti. The 970 will dip around 60FPS at most, while the 780 Ti come out on top because it's more powerful and can carry better average frames, but the 780 Ti will dip down to let's say...50 to 55 sometimes instead of the 970 dipping to about 60-65 sometimes during big scenes in the game. 

That is what I've found out. The 970 just carries better minimum frames. 

That's an OCed 970 vs reference 780 and the 870 still looses more often than not.

I think you meant 970. lol 

I think you meant 970. lol 

Sorry typed to fast LOL. That was an OCed 970 up against a reference 780ti and the OCed 970 still was slower mostly.

So I just found out that this isn't really a good benchmark to follow under lol. 

The 780 Ti does beat the 970, however the reason why the 970 looks better sometimes is because during actual gameplay, the 780 Ti simply dips a bit more often than the 970. Lets say you're playing Crysis 3 for example, you cap off the FPS at 80. The 970 will stay closer to the 80 FPS (if the game is on High for example, not Very High as both cards can't run it maxed out staying over 60 FPS) than the 780 Ti. The 970 will dip around 60FPS at most, while the 780 Ti come out on top because it's more powerful and can carry better average frames, but the 780 Ti will dip down to let's say...50 to 55 sometimes instead of the 970 dipping to about 60-65 sometimes during big scenes in the game. 

That is what I've found out. The 970 just carries better minimum frames. 

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXl7tKCC8FY

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

GTX 780ti is a stronger GPU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Or this:

You DO realize I'm just going to ignore the OC'd 970 as you could easily just OC the 780 Ti and it would catch up/beat it right? 

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/67488-asus-gtx-970-strix-oc-review-4.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/64269-evga-gtx-780-ti-sc-acx-review-8.html

As you can see the stock 780 Ti kinda sucks when compared to it's aftermarket brothers. This is the case for all of them. The reference 780 Ti will get blown away by any non-reference one by nearly 10 more frames or MORE. Especially when you overclock the aftermarket card. The non-reference 780 Ti beats the HD 7990 and 690 when OC'd. The 970 doesn't come that close to doing that. It still lost to the STOCK 780 Ti. Hardware Canucks is very unbiased. I trust their benchmarks fully. There are more games you can look at if you wish to see for yourself. 

You DO realize I'm just going to ignore the OC'd 970 as you could easily just OC the 780 Ti and it would catch up/beat it right? 

You cant overclock 7xx GPUs as much as you can with 9xx on average.Its very rare to get a 780ti that will do 1400MHz like a 970 can easily do...

Either way, if you can find a 780ti for <$400 then its worth it, but for $450+ you should just save up for a 980 instead.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have had a 3 different 780 ti's and they all easily overclocked to 1200mhz.  The "golden sample" you guys keep referring to is almost every 780 ti.   Look at any other website's overclocking results, including Guru3d and they all get upwards of 1200mhz.  Also just because a 970 can clock up to 1500mhz doesn't make it faster than a 780ti clocked to 1200mhz - thats like saying and 8350 is faster than an i7 because the clocks are higher.  DSR and MFAA may also come to Kepler cards.  For the prices right now I'd get a 780 ti. You're not going to tell a difference between a 780ti and 980's performance, might as well save $150.  The MSI 780ti version sells for $389 after rebate currently.