970 vs 780 Ti Which card REALLY wins?

MeesterJackson

Ok, so I'd like to hear more people's opinions on this.

Apparently, the 970 can beat the 780 Ti based off of what some of the community has previously said to me. I've seen little to no benchmarks showing this, and in Linus's benchmarks the OC'd 780 Ti destroyed the OC'd 970. 

The 780 Ti has been getting hit with HUGE price drops. And only costs about 80-150 dollars more, depending on the card, than the 970.

So what are your thoughts? Does the 970 actually win in benchmarks, or does the 780 Ti still have a place on the market if someone doesn't have enough for the 980, but wants very similar performance to it (considering it's like 100 dollars less than the 980 in some instances). 

The 780Ti is still a solid card for 1080p and even 1440p.

The 980 beats the 780Ti, the 970 does not. I haven't hear of any reports saying that the 970 does beat it.

As with all things on the internet; no pictures, no truth.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

780 ti is more performance but has no MFAA, DSR, etc

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

The 780ti wins except in 4k

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

As stated before, Linus' 780ti overclocked like a beast, while the 970 they got was a pretty bad overclocker.

Here are stock benchmarks for a more accurate comparison:

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

no the 780 ti will still beat a 970 alot of the time. the 970 being newer and with a good overclock may beat it in special circumstances..

the 980 replaces the 780 ti as best

the 970 replaces the 780 

I thought that Nvidia discountinued the 780ti I guess not

It is discontinued. This is stock that was already stored in warehouses and stores, theres still quite a few left. Once they're gone you won't be able to buy them new anymore.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

As stated before, Linus' 780ti overclocked like a beast, while the 970 they got was a pretty bad overclocker.

You didn't even bother showing me different benchmarks man, you are getting those from ONE SOURCE. At least send me more to back up your claim. 

Also, I'm not referring to Linus's STRIX 970 video, he has another 970 video: 

780 Ti still wins in all games, some by not so much, but others by a decent amount. 

780 ti is more performance but has no MFAA, DSR, etc

Yeah..but I care more about performance than features. I also don't see the point of DSR...it's just down-scaling 4K into 1080p to make things slightly sharper correct? 

I thought that Nvidia discountinued the 780ti I guess not

They did, you can still buy them right now at lower prices for now though. 

Yeah..but I care more about performance than features. I also don't see the point of DSR...it's just down-scaling 4K into 1080p to make things slightly sharper correct? 

Slightly? Oh you have no idea :D

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

You didn't even bother showing me different benchmarks man, you are getting those from ONE SOURCE. At least send me more to back up your claim. 

Also, I'm not referring to Linus's STRIX 970 video, he has another 970 video: 

780 Ti still wins in all games, some by not so much, but others by a decent amount. 

No, it actually doesn't win in all games. Watch the video. And the 780ti they are comparing it to is the same 780ti used in the 970 strix video, the one that they won the silicon lottery with.

As you can see from the digitalstorm benchmarks (that actually has a lot more different games tested) the stock 780ti only performs better than the 970 in about half the games.

So honestly its not worth $150 more for a GPU that performs barely any better than a 970 and has little chance of overclocking to 1400MHz.

If you can get a 780ti at the same price or lower than a 970 then it is worth it, but if you have $150 more than a 970 to spend you might as well buy a 980.

Spoiler

Slightly? Oh you have no idea :D

Please do show me videos where it makes a MASSIVE improvement. All I saw was how the grass in DS2 looked SLIGHTLY better with DSR which I'm not going to care about/even notice when playing the game. Plus there's always AA so flipping the switch on that higher just makes that less noticeable anyways. 

well for me I'll stick to a 780ti or hold off until a higher bus comes out from the 9xx series. just personal preference.

Live your life like a dream.

Please do show me videos where it makes a MASSIVE improvement. All I saw was how the grass in DS2 looked SLIGHTLY better with DSR which I'm not going to care about/even notice when playing the game. Plus there's always AA so flipping the switch on that higher just makes that less noticeable anyways. 

You need to see it in person, It looks damn good

No, it actually doesn't win in all games. Watch the video. And the 780ti they are comparing it to is the same 780ti used in the 970 strix video, the one that they won the silicon lottery with.

As you can see from the digitalstorm benchmarks (that actually has a lot more different games tested) the stock 780ti only performs better than the 970 in about half the games.

So honestly its not worth $150 more for a GPU that performs barely any better than a 970 and has little chance of overclocking to 1400MHz.

If you can get a 780ti at the same price or lower than a 970 then it is worth it, but if you have $150 more than a 970 to spend you might as well buy a 980.

What 980 is only 150 more? They're all like 200+ more. 

You're still not showing me more benchmarks, it's not like I don't trust DigitalStorm, they're a good group. But they are only ONE group and not more like Linus, TekSyndicate, TechofTomorrow, HardwareCanucks, and so on. I can find more of the 780 Ti winning still if you wish to see them. I also said 80-150 USD. Not specifically 150 USD. it's even less of an extra amount if you count the Zotac 970 Extreme which is 410 USD, and I can find 780 Ti's for around 420-450 USD easily. 

@Enderman You know, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you still haven't responded and it's been over 20 minutes. Giving me the impression that you're completely fine with me possibly buying a 780 Ti considering what I just told you in this comment. 

well for me I'll stick to a 780ti or hold off until a higher bus comes out from the 9xx series. just personal preference.

Just SLI it lol.

You need to see it in person, It looks damn good

I'm assuming you're currently using it? 

In most games yes

In most games yes

Eh...I guess seeing is believing then? I don't want to spend 550+ on the 980 and I want a bit more performance than the 970. The 780 Ti comes close to the 980 in some games and costs like 420 and higher. 

Just SLI it lol.

used to have 780 ti sli but replaced it for titan B sli. so far good for all those shit I need to render and stuff. no gaming :)

Live your life like a dream.

used to have 780 ti sli but replaced it for titan B sli. so far good for all those shit I need to render and stuff. no gaming :)

You know...CUDA cores don't stack in SLI right? Why do you have 2 of them for just rendering things? 

@Enderman You know, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you still haven't responded and it's been over 20 minutes. Giving me the impression that you're completely fine with me possibly buying a 780 Ti considering what I just told you in this comment. 

I'm not the one buying it...

If you seriously want to get a 780ti that bad then go head, its not my problem. I was just showing you that the 970 is almost just as good, and better when overclocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalO4oHjhQA

Spoiler

I'm not the one buying it...

If you seriously want to get a 780ti that bad then go head, its not my problem. I was just showing you that the 970 is almost just as good, and better when overclocked.

I never said you were. 

Ok, well I'm believing you a bit here now, but as a final question possibly, you keep saying a OC'd 970 can beat a 780 Ti or at least be on par with it. What about a 780 Ti that's also OC'd vs a OC'd 970? 

I never said you were. 

Ok, well I'm believing you a bit here now, but as a final question possibly, you keep saying a OC'd 970 can beat a 780 Ti or at least be on par with it. What about a 780 Ti that's also OC'd vs a OC'd 970? 

In that case you will never know because of the silicon lottery.

If you get lucky like linus, your 780ti could outperform any 970. Or if you get lucky with a 970 then it would outperform the 780ti.

So really its not possible to know which card will perform better until you have bought it...

Spoiler