Is the Titan still the best single card right now?

habaden

I'm asking this because im currently deciding if i want to build an ITX or MATX, i choose to go ITX i can only have one card; would titan be the best route to go if i did that? If i decide to go MATX and get 2 cards would 2 780s beat 1 titan? or stick with just 1 titan still?

2 780's would beat 1 titan by quite a lot. However the Titan is still the best single GPU. It also depends on what you will be doning with the system? Gaming on multi monitors? Gaming with Highres? just 180p? A lot of rendering/ cuda work?

Still the fastest single GPU but not the best.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I'm asking this because im currently deciding if i want to build an ITX or MATX, i choose to go ITX i can only have one card; would titan be the best route to go if i did that? If i decide to go MATX and get 2 cards would 2 780s beat 1 titan? or stick with just 1 titan still?

What resolution are you playing at? If it's at 1080p m-itx with a 780 is far more than sufficient. Titan does have the best performance for a single GPU but i can hardly say the same for it's value-performance ratio. Not that the 780 is worthy of praise either but i can see where you're trying to go. If at 1400p, you might want to consider grabbing a Titan instead. For triple monitors (5760x1080/1200) it is strongly recommended given our current state of technology to go at least M-atx for we don't have the single-gpu juice required to process them effectively yet.

2 780's would beat 1 titan by quite a lot. However the Titan is still the best single GPU. It also depends on what you will be doning with the system? Gaming on multi monitors? Gaming with Highres? just 180p? A lot of rendering/ cuda work?

Mostly gaming, i have 3 monitors right now 1 is a 27 inch 2560x1440p and the other 2 are 1920x1080p

What resolution are you playing at? If it's at 1080p m-itx with a 780 is far more than sufficient. Titan does have the best performance for a single GPU but i can hardly say the same for it's value-performance ratio. Not that the 780 is worthy of praise either but i can see where you're trying to go. If at 1400p, you might want to consider grabbing a Titan instead. For triple monitors (5760x1080/1200) it is strongly recommended given our current state of technology to go at least M-atx for we don't have the single-gpu juice required to process them effectively yet.

mostly high resolution gaming

If all you are doing is gaming, get the 780. Its nearly the same performance for $350 less than a titan.

Fastest consumer card yes, best certainly not.I'd take a 780 over a Titan anyday.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

You may be better off getting a titan then. Mainly due to the extra RAM. If you get a 780 with a max of 4gb of RAM even if you got a 2nd one with 4GB they don't add up to 8GB it stays at 4GB. 

In my opinion you would be better with a titan to be able to drive all of those displays and game at those higher resolutions.

If all you are doing is gaming, get the 780. Its nearly the same performance for $350 less than a titan.

He would be better with a titan though due to the higher VRAM. 6GB>4GB

Mostly gaming, i have 3 monitors right now 1 is a 27 inch 2560x1440p and the other 2 are 1920x1080p

mostly high resolution gaming

At those resolutions i very highly recommend a M-atx with 2 x 780s (If you have to go Nvidia) or 2 x 7970 Ghz Ed. [Get two Never Settle Bundle Reloaded LEVELUP & sell one of it, cheap & powerful cards](My choice). Even a single Titan would have trouble pushing pixels decently over 30FPS at those res on demanding titles.

Personally i'm boycotting the 780 as i don't approve of a $650 flagship card that has marginal performance gains over previous-gen. For if this continues Nvidia would try pushing out $800 flagships next... But it's up to you to make the choice :)

To be completely honest, even with a Titan, performance will be disappointing with those three monitors. You should consider two 780's or Titans if you can afford them.

At those resolutions i very highly recommend a M-atx with 2 x 780s (If you have to go Nvidia) or 2 x 7970 Ghz Ed. (My choice). Even a single Titan would have trouble pushing pixels decently over 30FPS at those res on demanding titles.

Personally i'm boycotting the 780 as i don't approve of a $650 flagship card that has marginal performance gains over previous-gen. For if this continues Nvidia would try pushing out $800 flagships next... But it's up to you to make the choice :)

Don't forget that 2 780's will only have 3GB of VRAM which is that part of the card used to drive high end displays. Even if he gets 2 the Max VRAM is still only 3GB and 4GB if he gets a custom PCB 780. Titan wins in every situation.

Don't forget that 2 780's will only have 3GB of VRAM which is that part of the card used to drive high end displays. Even if he gets 2 the Max VRAM is still only 3GB and 4GB if he gets a custom PCB 780. Titan wins in every situation.

is there even games out right now that are pushing more than 3gb of VRAM?

is there even games out right now that are pushing more than 3gb of VRAM?

No. But as he is using the games across multiple monitors/ High res he will benefit from the extra ram.

Boy, if you can overclock a single Titan to the point where it can drive 6000x1200 over 45FPS consistently, i'd visit your house and give you my left limb.

Realistically we do not have the required graphical processing power to drive resolutions that high efficiently yet, chances are that highly-intensive tasks like AA has to be dropped a level or two in favour of FXAA to achieve desirable framerates. If you don't have the graphical horsepower to drive an image, having 9TBs(+1 if you get the reference) of vram won't make a difference. No game uses more than 2.6GB of VRAM at the very max atm, as far as i have seen.

(Unless you're heaviliy modding some Ultra-High Res Skyrim that's not decently coded & eats vram for breakfast.)

so im getting the feeling that double GTX 780 and micro atx is the way to go then?

Gtx titan is the best single card. But isn't any good in terms of price.

so im getting the feeling that double GTX 780 and micro atx is the way to go then?

If AMD is not on your consideration list (Which it pretty damn well should be) then yes, go for dual 780s.

Or you could grab 2 x 7970s after the xFire driver is sorted out, slightly less performance at $800(With 2 x 3AAA games) compared to 2x780s at $1300.