sound card and amp help

jameshumphries47
Go to solution Solved by creatip123,

basicly i want to start of cheap then if i think hmm yeah i could do with something better then ill upgrade but there is no point in spending £100's of £'ssss to then y'know what? i dont think it was worth it!

Don't worry, I won't judge. Even if (I know this is not the case, but only if) it's due to financial condition, I still wouldn't judge.

That logic is sound, though, I do it most of the time for something that's new to me. Started out with the cheapest decent options, upgrade to the highest I can afford, later.

We live in a relative world, very dependent on whose point of view we are using. For example, I'm using a $300 headphone + $200 dac/amp. Now I know there are people that spent multi-thousand dollars worth of dacs, amps, headphones/speaker sets, etc, totaling in more than 10 grand. From those people's point of view, I'm the one who's using pistachio + copper wires..... :)

so guys im considering my build plans lately and im a huge music fan! currently i have a laptop but im getting a full blown PC in the next 3 months yeeha! :P anyway i dont have alot to spend i have about £20 to spend on USB sound card and AMP is this okay

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Channel-External-Audio-Sound-Card/dp/B005M19I0K/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1413661014&sr=8-18&keywords=sound+card

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hossen%C2%AE-12V-Audio-Amplifier-amplifier/dp/B008VOQ1K0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BJCMXYXRH00V0742JVY

~James

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

For £25, it'd be much better to go with this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ZI5E1S/

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

sorry i had to re edit it look again?

My suggestion still remains the same. The convenience of the xonar is miles better than the other 2 combined.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

My suggestion still remains the same. The convenience of the xonar is miles better than the other 2 combined.

but im not going to be taking it anywhere will the 2 combined ones i have purchased be any good?

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

but im not going to be taking it anywhere will the 2 combined ones i have purchased be any good?

There is no definite way in knowing whether a product will be good or not. You pretty much have to make that decision for yourself by weighing in the customer reviews.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

There is no definite way in knowing whether a product will be good or not. You pretty much have to make that decision for yourself by weighing in the customer reviews.

thank you for yoru help how would you do it would you do it so you get aux from laptop to amplifier then to sound card or what im a total noob! 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

First of all, what are you gonna use it with? A pair of passive speakers? Then it will work. If it's either headphones, or active speakers, then you won't need that amp, because that's a passive speakers amp. 

Next, I've never heard any words about that Hossen. I'm currently using Lepai 2020+ stereo amp, and I can say it's quite good. Review in my sig. More pricier than that Hossen, though. I've found a modding thread where people actually buy the Lepai, and replacing the capacitors to better ones, and they say the sound got upgraded by quite a lot. 

Last, the connection would be, laptop => sound card => amp (if you choose to have one). That sound card is USB, I think. Plug it in, install the driver, and (hopefully) good to go.

I don't think I'd bother with either of those devices.

build the computer first, then if you don't like(or need functionality) upgrade it then.

no sense in buying something now you don't need.

if you have passive speakers, then a lepai isn't a bad buy for the price.

I wouldn't bother upgrading the capacitors on it, but it might use a higher amperage power supply if you're pushing it.(12v at 4-5a versus the 2a that comes with it)

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Have you looked at the Schitt brand? It's good schitt. No joke. Check it out. 

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

20 bucks? Save your money and don't bother.

Agreed, if TS is willing to spend such an amount, might as well fuhgeddaboutit!

Wait a sec, you have already gotten them? Then why ask? Or, did I misinterpret something? :unsure:

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Seriously though if you're looking at $20 audio components, may I suggest you make your own? Wrap a piece of copper wire around a pistachio and put your ear up to it. It'll be about on par with a $20 sound card. Might even have better SNR and lower impedance, due to the fine audio qualities of the modern pistachio. The ones that are dyed pink can do 192Khz too.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

First of all, what are you gonna use it with? A pair of passive speakers? Then it will work. If it's either headphones, or active speakers, then you won't need that amp, because that's a passive speakers amp. 

Next, I've never heard any words about that Hossen. I'm currently using Lepai 2020+ stereo amp, and I can say it's quite good. Review in my sig. More pricier than that Hossen, though. I've found a modding thread where people actually buy the Lepai, and replacing the capacitors to better ones, and they say the sound got upgraded by quite a lot. 

Last, the connection would be, laptop => sound card => amp (if you choose to have one). That sound card is USB, I think. Plug it in, install the driver, and (hopefully) good to go.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lemon-Audio-Passive-Speakers-Monitors/dp/B00IK13EYK/ref=sr_1_56?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413662702&sr=1-56&keywords=speakers yup passive speakers

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Wait a sec, you have already gotten them? Then why ask? Or, did I misinterpret something? :unsure:

yeah sorry i meant im gonna purchase sorry about that!

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

I don't think I'd bother with either of those devices.

build the computer first, then if you don't like(or need functionality) upgrade it then.

no sense in buying something now you don't need.

if you have passive speakers, then a lepai isn't a bad buy for the price.

I wouldn't bother upgrading the capacitors on it, but it might use a higher amperage power supply if you're pushing it.(12v at 4-5a versus the 2a that comes with it)

Have you looked at the Schitt brand? It's good schitt. No joke. Check it out. 

20 bucks? Save your money and don't bother.

Seriously though if you're looking at $20 audio components, may I suggest you make your own? Wrap a piece of copper wire around a pistachio and put your ear up to it. It'll be about on par with a $20 sound card. Might even have better SNR and lower impedance, due to the fine audio qualities of the modern pistachio. The ones that are dyed pink can do 192Khz too.

basicly i want to start of cheap then if i think hmm yeah i could do with something better then ill upgrade but there is no point in spending £100's of £'ssss to then y'know what? i dont think it was worth it!

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Don't worry, I won't judge. Even if (I know this is not the case, but only if) it's due to financial condition, I still wouldn't judge.

That logic is sound, though, I do it most of the time for something that's new to me. Started out with the cheapest decent options, upgrade to the highest I can afford, later.

We live in a relative world, very dependent on whose point of view we are using. For example, I'm using a $300 headphone + $200 dac/amp. Now I know there are people that spent multi-thousand dollars worth of dacs, amps, headphones/speaker sets, etc, totaling in more than 10 grand. From those people's point of view, I'm the one who's using pistachio + copper wires..... :)

thank you, what ever i get will be an improvement from what im usign now a 4 yr old hp laptop with built in speakers :P although im going to get a different amp not im looking along the lines of a SPL 300

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}