Beyerdynamic DT770 or DT990?

Kiraaaa

I have the choice of getting either the DT770 or the DT990 for the same price, I'm having trouble deciding, so I'm wondering what you guys would get and why?

Maybe make a list of pros and cons of each so I can easily compare them.

I know one is closed while the other is opened, and although I prefer open, I'm not going to consider that a problem.

Note: They are both the 250ohm PRO versions.

Thanks

Maybe make a list of pros and cons of each so I can easily compare them.

yeah that sounds like work and enjoyment factor over negative 9000 my dt770 is currently in the mail heading to me now

I don't really know how to read those kind of graphs, could you explain? lol

And I said although I prefer open, I already own HD558's, and wouldn't mind getting a closed pair or another open pair. Plus sound isolation is not much of an issue for me, as I don't plan on using these outside.

So that aside, basically what does the DT990 do better than the DT770s and vice versa? Or is DT990 simply everything that DT770s are but better? I find that hard to believe because most of the time, there is a trade off. Something is improved while something else is lacking.

left is bass, right is treble.

they are pretty close to each other.

the 770 may go a little deeper but the 990 looks a little flatter.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I don't really know how to read those kind of graphs, could you explain? lol

And I said although I prefer open, I already own HD558's, and wouldn't mind getting a closed pair or another open pair. Plus sound isolation is not much of an issue for me, as I don't plan on using these outside.

So that aside, basically what does the DT990 do better than the DT770s and vice versa? Or is DT990 simply everything that DT770s are but better? I find that hard to believe because most of the time, there is a trade off. Something is improved while something else is lacking.

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/about-headphone-measurements.php

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Right, so I think I will end up going with the 990s then. But I will need to buy an amp as they are 250ohms, what amp would you guys recommend to pair with them?

Would like to stay under $100 as much as possible, thanks.

Right, so I think I will end up going with the 990s then. But I will need to buy an amp as they are 250ohms, what amp would you guys recommend to pair with them?

Would like to stay under $100 as much as possible, thanks.

FiiO E10.  There's even a member review somewhere on the member review board for this pairing.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

FiiO E10.  There's even a member review somewhere on the member review board for this pairing.

Just wondering, what would be an "equivalent" sound card to the E10? i.e, How much would I need to spend on a sound card in order to get something equal or better than the FiiO?

Just wondering, what would be an "equivalent" sound card to the E10? i.e, How much would I need to spend on a sound card in order to get something equal or better than the FiiO?

Well, since everybody is using that TI Op-Amp now, about none.  Unless you find a sound card that DOESN'T have a TI TPA6120A2 headphone amp, I'm out of ideas over here.

I see a lot of threads online of people comparing the Xonar DG and the E10. Seems like quite a few people prefer the Xonar DG over the E10 or atleast have a hard time deciding between the two, and the crazy part is: the DG is like less than half the price of the E10!

Also, the E10 got quite a few low ratings on head-fi saying that they're only about as good as a $35 sound card (ie. Xonar D series).

So I'm not sure, a lot of mixed opinions.

And I hear the amps on both the E10 and DG are not that great, maybe it's best I spend my money on just an amp alone? Suggestions, opinions?

I see a lot of threads online of people comparing the Xonar DG and the E10. Seems like quite a few people prefer the Xonar DG over the E10 or atleast have a hard time deciding between the two, and the crazy part is: the DG is like less than half the price of the E10!

Also, the E10 got quite a few low ratings on head-fi saying that they're only about as good as a $35 sound card (ie. Xonar D series).

So I'm not sure, a lot of mixed opinions.

And I hear the amps on both the E10 and DG are not that great, maybe it's best I spend my money on just an amp alone? Suggestions, opinions?

Which one would sound better would depend on what headphones you are using. Headphones are a REACTIVE load, as their resistance to a load varies with frequency(Z), so with an impedance mismatch, some headphones will become more "harsh", or the treble will sound louder, while some others will become "bassier", and still some others yet might become more neutral.  Lyons, for example, uses a high output impedance tube amp with his AKG K702s, and it makes them sound much better to him.  I recommend the E10 in a lot of threads because it will sound objectively transparent with a much WIDER VARIETY of headphones, not just high impedance headphones.  Since most of the people on this board use low impedance headphones well below 80 Ohms, this effect is just that much more pronounced.  Besides, a USB interface will go out of style much slower than a pci/pci-e card, and taking it with you to your next rig is a whole lot simpler!

As for people doing reviews on these cards and comparing them to FiiO E10, I'd love to see just one double blind ABX test.  The power of sighted listening has tripped up everyone I know, including yours truly.

Head-Fi really looks down on "budget" stuff.  Their idea of a good amp is one that has all fancy components, is balanced, single ended, and probably tube driven.  This is snobbery at it's finest.  Implementation is everything, and the FiiO E10 is a much better implementation than the DG by the numbers alone.  Transparent amps are considered too sterile for many of them, although I've noticed recently a growing number of users who quickly shut down the more nonsensical assertions of a few forum members.  Maybe, just maybe, things are changing around there...

Hi I was once a torn between the two but I got my anstwer from Zombie_X from a different forum. He has a very detailed analysis of all of the DT series.

Here is the link

and all credits goes to Zombie_X

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

If you don't mind open, I would definatly go for the dt990s. If you need closed, get the dt770s.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Hi I was once a torn between the two but I got my anstwer from Zombie_X from a different forum. He has a very detailed analysis of all of the DT series.

Here is the link

and all credits goes to Zombie_X

Yup, I already checked Zombie_X's thread. It was a good write up, but it left me feeling a bit confused. If you check out page 99, I asked about his statement between the 770 and 990: "The DT990's can make a lot of music sound thin but the DT770's makes music sound lifeless."

But someone answered and clarified that actually really untrue, and explained that the 990s are the better pair.

Just wondering, which did you end up getting?

If you don't mind open, I would definatly go for the dt990s. If you need closed, get the dt770s.

Mhmm, I've pretty much made up my mind and will most likely end up going with the DT990s. Thanks again everyone.

I just got my 770's thursday it is a really satisfying sound but it does sound rather dark and deep, really satisfying for a song made by tricky, formerly of massive attack and my ath-ws55 is nice for big room house or airy chillstep... I gotta stop buying headphones... 

I went for the DT990 Premium 600Ohm because I already had a DT990 Pro 250Ohm and gave my DT990 Premium 32Ohm to my small bro.

Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

As for the set up i am using, I am using .flac files on my Galaxy S4 connected to a FiiO E11 and then to my DT990 Premium 600Ohm

As for the set up i am using, I am using .flac files on my Galaxy S4 connected to a FiiO E11 and then to my DT990 Premium 600Ohm

Hmm, why didn't you get the 32 ohm or 250 ohm? Those are definatly not being driven properly. I'd definatly get something like the o2 for a setup like that.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

I went for the DT990 Premium 600Ohm because I already had a DT990 Pro 250Ohm and gave my DT990 Premium 32Ohm to my small bro.

Wow, multiple DT990's. Are they that good that you just had to get more than one of them in different impedance's? lol.

Which of the 3 is your favourite and why? I'm gonna guess the Premium 600? From Zombie_X's thread, he mentions that the difference are very small between all the Ohm models, but he still seems to prefer the 600Ohm over all the others.

Were you able to notice differences? If so, how big/small of a difference is it?

The 600Ohm version is not an option for me, but I'd mostly like to know what you thought between the Premium 600 vs the Pro 250.

Also, I was considering the FiiO E11, but they're battery-powered and can not be used while charging. Is that not a problem for you?

They are pretty much the same headphones, the sound difference is just because the one is open and the other one is closed. 

So slightly less bass and slightly bigger stage on the 990. 

And the difference between 32, 250 and 600 Ohm isnt that big either. The 250 Ohm version is said to have a little bit more detailed bass, and the 600 Ohm version is not worth the extra $

Since 32 Ohm and 250 Ohm version cost the same (at least in germany) i would go for the 250 Ohm version

Also, I was considering the FiiO E11, but they're battery-powered and can not be used while charging. Is that not a problem for you?

I've got the E11 as well and mainly just use it for outside the house... what its mainly meant for. I have used it on my pc a couple times

edit: and that was the same reaction I had when I saw multiple purchases of the same product. I love swapping cans for different uses. my opens my bassheads my flats and my wireless.