Public debate:Why are there so many ported games?

nanowatt

The question is simple and yet i don't get it.Why they port so many games from consoles when we the pc gamers(no offense here to anyone) are the main target?Yes they are easier to code and then just port them but sometimes the ports are terrible(most of the time actually) and will cause the company to lose money if the people don't buy the games.Is not worth the effort?Won't they get more money if people actually get a good quality product?

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

laziness / they want us to convert

also wouldnt be easier to port from pc to console?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

laziness / they want us to convert

also wouldnt be easier to port from pc to console?

its easier but it would create a longer development time. as you would build and optimize for pc and then have to cut features out an optimize for consoles, rather then build for consoles and optimize as you go and then just porting to pc as fast as you can because you know they will manage while maybe giving us sliders that go further.

I think it's because too many devs seem to target the consoles first thinking that they will get better sales because of the scale of the console market and how widely advertised it is all the time and then they realise that PC market isn't small either. Then they think that it we will be fine to bring out a shitty port (YES I am looking at you Ubisoft and Watch Dogs as well as other companies) which they will have to end up fixing for months to satisfy PC gamers and recover their respect/image from the slaughter they will receive all over Reddit, review sites and forums.

EDIT: Also it is probably easier to program for a single machine like PS4 or Xbox One than trying to optimise for countless combinations of hardware that are in PCs.

its easier but it would create a longer development time. as you would build and optimize for pc and then have to cut features out an optimize for consoles, rather then build for consoles and optimize as you go and then just porting to pc as fast as you can because you know they will manage while maybe giving us sliders that go further.

but they do that with newer games to get them to work with last gen consoles

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It's not even that hard.

i can make a long list with ported games fail.Sometimes it seems like they don't even bother...and for this i am mad because they manage to kill darksiders i mean yes perhaps you are right with the development but the money they get should compensate for it and as Damikiller37 said they will have to clean up the mess after

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Because most of the money/publicity is still made on Consoles even though the PC market worldwide is much larger (due to Asia) but consoles are coming to an end anyway and things like the Steam Box and thin Linux clients for cloud gaming will likely rule in the next 7-10 years so games should really start being developed for Linux.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

The peasantry cannot afford the cost and/or the knowledge base to build their own gaming pc, as such, they turn to consoles.

They need devices to be plug n play, ready to go.  For these reasons, the biggest tripple A games are usually designed to capitalize on the largest possible playerbase, and that includes the console peasantry.

There is a temptation by master racers, the lords of all gaming, to feel embittered at the dilution of their experience to cater to their more BASE capabilities.  But this is the wrong attitude.  We of the glorious pc master race ought to embrace the peasants, in all their slime and dirtied faces.  We need to embrace them so that one day, console and pc versions of the same game can have a unified gaming experience online.

Then, and only then, can the peasants be used to their full potential, human shields in wars between members of the pc master race.  What better cannon fodder to bolster us up, than console peasants, with their slowed reactions and inferior hardware.  We need them, they are like the creep waves in mobas that give the rest of us strength, or that is what they can be at least.

So I say embrace the peasants, embrace them so they can finally reach their full potential.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...