Asus knocked off the list of top 5 PC manufacturers in the world, by Apple

Aniallation

Lenovo - A respectable brand.
HP - Cheap crap until you get to corporate machines.
Dell - The bog standard PC bought by schools and business.
Acer - Absolutely disgusting cheap crap that only gets bought off price alone.
Apple - Good machines, bad pricing. Downside to using mobile parts and server.
Asus - Nice parts, but would never buy a prebuilt regardless of who it's from unless notebook or Apple. :P

I do like HP laptops as well as Asus Laptops.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I like Dell for pre-built. Their customer support is fantastic. 

I had to work on a Dell once. This was during their "USB is the future!" and removale of all PS/2 ports on their products. It was designed for windows vista, so of course, drivers were a mess.

To re-install windows I need access to the keyboard during POST. However, the keyboard would not become active until after POST. This means no booting from DVDROM/USB and no access to BIOS to change the settings.

a complete brick on the shelves (no one wants Vista)

So when I hear/read "Dell" and "Fantastic" in the same sentance I cringe :/

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Welp, you gotta give it to them - they sell SO much after each release, and they're good at it.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

WHY! Asus makes amazing laptops. Aluminium body, great design and batteries that is not crap *cough* *cough* Acer *cough* *cough* 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

People are surprised by this for what reason exactly? You can say what you want, but the only other pc i have seen that competes with apple's macbook in terms of build quality and fee is the razer blade. They do make good computers. do you get the best performance per dollar from apple? no, but that does not mean they dont make a good product.

This. And the razer blade looks very similar to the mbp so...

But yea, the butthurt is real. 

Of course apple have caught up to Asus, the reasons were even published in the IDC report, but no, LTT will make up their own reasons and completely ignore reality.

Ltt people really need to do some research rather than perpetuate internet myths.  Especially if you want to call yourselves tech enthusiasts.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Of course apple have caught up to Asus, the reasons were even published in the IDC report, but no, LTT will make up their own reasons and completely ignore reality.

Ltt people really need to do some research rather than perpetuate internet myths.  Especially if you want to call yourselves tech enthusiasts.

F8GF8cQ.gif

There's still hope for this forum :)

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

People are surprised by this for what reason exactly? You can say what you want, but the only other pc i have seen that competes with apple's macbook in terms of build quality and fee is the razer blade. They do make good computers. do you get the best performance per dollar from apple? no, but that does not mean they dont make a good product.

Completely agree with this.

Also I think people forget there is other reasons to buy a PC than just performance.

I think the majority of people who purchase Macs does not do so based on a price / performance ratio, but because the ecosystem, applications or maybe just because they plain look good.

People should stop comparing oranges to apples (no pun intended) because people often buy a windows and an osx based PC  for different reasons.

EDIT: By comparing I mean only comparing based on performance. This really goes for everything.

But who am I kidding, I know it will never happen. People like to be part of a "group", whether this "group" is for or against something, so long they have a common ground.

That's ok, I'm sure all but apple use Asus parts on their models anyway so in a way they're still on the top 5

-------

Current Rig

-------

I had to work on a Dell once. This was during their "USB is the future!" and removale of all PS/2 ports on their products. It was designed for windows vista, so of course, drivers were a mess.

To re-install windows I need access to the keyboard during POST. However, the keyboard would not become active until after POST. This means no booting from DVDROM/USB and no access to BIOS to change the settings.

I'm assuming that got fixed with BIOS revisions? Because I'm pretty sure I can open my bios on my USB keyboard now. However yes that is hilariously fucking sad indeed

-------

Current Rig

-------

Acer, Dell, HP and Acer might be biggest.

But to be honest they are all ultra-shit-tier when it comes to computers. Lenovo is only decent when it comes to laptops and even then they ballast you with tons of shitty bloatware.

This is like putting EA in the list of 'Biggest game Developers' and assuming they actually make the best games because they are the biggest.

Misinformation biasing people to defend shitty hardware

That was my rant

Sorry? I have a Macbook but if were to get any other laptop/ultrabook, the Aspire S7 would be in my Top 3 (along with the Yoga 2 (now 3) and Vaio 13) . You might not have seen all the all the rave reviews about it. One of the few cons about the laptop is that it is more expensive than some of the other competing brands (completely the opposite of what you wrote)

Here are some links: http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/20/4636510/acer-aspire-s7-review-2013

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/acer-aspire-s7-1094349/review

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/13/acer-aspire-s7-392-review/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461685,00.asp

ec1d34743c07f140f5a6ffa7c1ee69ec.jpg

Also their Chromebook, the c720/p are one of if not the best chromebooks out there

But the S7 is pretty old by now...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I am surprised that Acer is 4th... pretty sure I've seen more Macbooks than Acer laptops back in university :S

Colleges are full of wannabe hipsters. They're Apple magnets. iPhones, iPads, and Macbooks everywhere.

I'm assuming that got fixed with BIOS revisions? Because I'm pretty sure I can open my bios on my USB keyboard now. However yes that is hilariously fucking sad indeed

I updated bios to the latest. still had the issue. Dell recommended I used a Dell keyboard. So I did, same results.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Okay? So...what does that have to do with their customer support? Which I called fantastic in comparison to other 5 companies.

Okay? So...what does that have to do with their customer support? Which I called fantastic in comparison to other 5 companies.

I obviously contacted Dell before throwing the desktop (not a tower, a fraking desktop) in the trash. their customer service had 0 technical knowledge. they would reply with the usual:

"are you using a Dell keyboard?" -- yes.

"Is it plugged into the USB port under the ethernet?" -- yes.

"did you update bios?" -- yes.

"ok! reboot and when you see "Press anykey to boot from dvd, press anykey on your keyboard" (ofc it didn't work)

she continued to go around in circles until I left the chat.

random forum users helped me more than she did. Turns out those models (I forgot which exact) had the same problems all across the board. Bios update didn't help for most. for some it did, but very few. crap product, crap service.

this was my experience with Dell. never again.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

"Enthusiasts" in name only, not in knowledge and certainly not in temperament. 

Apple wins because they market well. They don't market to "idiots" and "hipsters". They market to EVERYONE. 

There is a very clear reason why Apple, as of August 2013, had 200 billion as SPARE CASH. Why they keep making mad money. They are winning at the business game by being the best business they can be, and people get mad at them for being a business. I don't get this level of hypocrisy. 

Its easier to think like sheep and abandon any rational thought and just go with popular opinion. On anything, not just Apple. So much easier to think in stereotypes and closed minded rationales than it is to try and have a open mind. 

After my laptop experience...

Asus prebuilts: NO

Asus parts for my desktops: HELL YEAH

So I guess this makes sense...

Git Gud.

Isn't Asus absolute toss in terms of customer support.

Are you making a statement or asking a question?

Anyway, their customer service is alright. Depends on the product. Their service for PC components seems to be better then compared to their OEM pre-built department.

Anyway back on topic, this is not surprising in the slightest. ASUS was NEVER a huge player in the Pre-built department. Until about 5 years ago, you couldn't even find ASUS laptops or desktops in most stores at all - at least here in Ontario. ASUS motherboards are used in TONS of other OEM laptops, but that of course is completely different.

Dell, Lenovo, and HP. They have always been the top dogs (ever since Lenovo was spun off by IBM anyway) when it comes to pre-built OEM machines. All three make excellent enterprise/workstation grade products, but their consumer grade computers are a mixed bag at best.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Are you making a statement or asking a question?

Anyway, their customer service is alright. Depends on the product. Their service for PC components seems to be better then compared to their OEM pre-built department.

Anyway back on topic, this is not surprising in the slightest. ASUS was NEVER a huge player in the Pre-built department. Until about 5 years ago, you couldn't even find ASUS laptops or desktops in most stores at all - at least here in Ontario. ASUS motherboards are used in TONS of other OEM laptops, but that of course is completely different.

Dell, Lenovo, and HP. They have always been the top dogs (ever since Lenovo was spun off by IBM anyway) when it comes to pre-built OEM machines. All three make excellent enterprise/workstation grade products, but their consumer grade computers are a mixed bag at best.

Derp edited and I've heard that their RMA services are shite namely from threads on various forums.

Acer - Absolutely disgusting cheap crap that only gets bought off price alone.

Actually my old core 2 duo Acer laptop lived for 7 years before the screen died and it still works today using an external monitor! also my sister has a pretty recent Acer laptop and it has great quality for what she paid for! i would wholeheartedly recommend an acer laptop to anyone!