Why is Windows Media Player so lame?

So really, why is windows media player so bad? I have a collection of more than 100 hours of music and i like to just play them all on shuffle but media player just cycles on about 20-30 songs and keeps playing them over and over. Of course everytime it's different 30 songs but it's still annoying. It's also this thing that it sees the music files that aren't really music ( for example sounds from unity projects) and doesn't find the music stored in download folder. When it keeps adding random album covers to tracks it also is very annoying. 
I'm using the newest Media Player on W8. Since i think that there's no way to make it not suck so much i need a new music player. Any suggestions? (i tried tomahawk it was pretty bad and i don't like winamp for no particular reason)

iTunes

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

|HDD: Western Digital 1TB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | PSU: Corsair CX430W | 

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

AIMP3 is good for music...

foobar too...

VLC if you want something flexible...

MPC-HC if you want something really flexible...

Edit: All of the suggestions above are free... Someone still uses WMP???

Edit2: added links for your convenience...

WMP has always been shitty

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

I haven't had any problems with WMP.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Any suggestions? (i tried tomahawk it was pretty bad and i don't like winamp for no particular reason)

I wrote a detailed post about mediamonkey, but this effing freaking laptop effed up again, cursor was out of the textbox, touchpad didnt ignore a tap of my wrist and i hit the backspace key and it made my browser go back a page.

so heres a link to a lifehacker article.

http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/08/23/manage-your-music

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

AIMP3 is good for music...

foobar too...

VLC if you want something flexible...

MPC-HC if you want something really flexible...

Edit: All of the suggestions above are free... Someone still uses WMP???

Edit2: added links for your convenience...

THANK YOU! Downloaded AIMP3 really like it so far  :)

Not everyone wants to use that properitary Apple crap, just because of the nice "Cover Flow" (which seems to be the only advantage).

I think it is rather a configuration fail. You need to add folders to your library. I am using Windows Media Player since i found it on my first PC, and it never makes mistakes.

iTunes, thus far is the only desktop application that I've found which can effectively manage audio and video libraries in the same app. I'm talking about MANAGE, not simply play. Of course, iTunes isn't perfect, I wish it had the ability to manage libraries across multiple partitions but I cant think of anything that is better.

And why does everyone think it's proprietary (you spelt it wrong btw) crap anyways? you can easily load custom content onto it and most formats widely used today are compatible. Besides you can access everything on it from your ipad, iphone, ipod, and apple tv.

what else do you want?

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Anybody rockin' the good old Winamp?

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

Sounds like a bug in WMP, you can try Music app, I have no problem on my side with it, and you have the cool notification thing as you change tracks, or volume, when the app is minimized, and you use your keyboard media keys.

If you don't want that, but willing to download a software, have a look at Zune desktop software.

It's free, and solid, Has a mini-player that you can have on your desktop, or use the full player. It uses GPU accelerated interface, and is nice and animated.

zune5.png

Even has a nice visualization thing, which you can put full screen.

zune2.png

WMP does everything I need it to do. But when I wanna listen to music I just use my phone or listen to albums and WMP has what I need.

I used Winamp for a while but it really wasn't necessary for me.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

http://vinylsoft.com

It's like the lazy man version of Foobar2k. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I prefer it simple, without the need to categorize or import, and preferably skinnable.  Xion has been my go-to media player for years now.

I don't think Microsoft even intends WMP to be the best option of playing media. I mean in Windows 8 they've brought separate apps into their environment with Xbox Music and Xbox Video..

WMP is probably just a good default program to start out with until you go and DL your favorite program like most people do.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

I been using Media Monkey for some time, does a good job keeping my music media in check, shuffle and other functions just work and you can install many Skins like foobar 2000 but less tech in dealing with it.

Cry Havoc!

iTunes works great with shuffling. To be honest any media player is better than WMP but that is just me.

Also lol at the user that recommends using the Zune player. What the eff is a Zune anyways? Sounds familiar but I may have to travel to 2006.

• 1 month later...

I have a collection of more than 100 hours of music and i like to just play them all on shuffle but media player just cycles on about 20-30 songs and keeps playing them over and over. Of course everytime it's different 30 songs but it's still annoying.

Agreed that WMP's own shuffle feature is flawed. But you may want to give the Windows Media Player Plus! plug-in a try. It adds new shuffle functionality to WMP called Party Shuffle, which works similar to iTunes DJ.

It's also this thing that it sees the music files that aren't really music ( for example sounds from unity projects)

This can be fixed by creating an auto playlist that only includes the music genres that you want to hear, and play/shuffle that playlist instead. The aforementioned Party Shuffle also allows you to configure a custom source playlist. More info about auto playlists in WMP here.

Clementine is fairly good.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I like and use Windows Media Center, the design just looks and feels so 2009 Beautiful!

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines