Halo 2 Anniversay Campaign Won't run in 1080p

Puddleuk

Does anyone have a link that explains this "dual rendering engines" thing I keep seeing?

Halo 2: Anniversary, part of upcoming Xbox One exclusive Halo: The Master Chief Collection, lets players switch between running the original Xbox graphics engine and the new Xbox One Anniversary graphics engine at the touch of a button - and as a result it outputs at a 1328x1080 resolution and 60 frames per second.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-07-halo-2-anniversary-campaign-isnt-quite-1080p-microsoft-confirms

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Halo 2: Anniversary, part of upcoming Xbox One exclusive Halo: The Master Chief Collection, lets players switch between running the original Xbox graphics engine and the new Xbox One Anniversary graphics engine at the touch of a button - and as a result it outputs at a 1328x1080 resolution and 60 frames per second.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-07-halo-2-anniversary-campaign-isnt-quite-1080p-microsoft-confirms

That's... that's completely stupid. Switching between engines? Sure no problem... but force the game to reboot.

I would personally take FHD 60fps over "on the fly" engine switching, any day of the week.

Thanks for the link btw!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

That's... that's completely stupid. Switching between engines? Sure no problem... but force the game to reboot.

I would personally take FHD 60fps over "on the fly" engine switching, any day of the week.

Thanks for the link btw!

Yep, im totally agreeing here, but they say the on the fly switching was the way they set out to make the remake from the start, power to them, regardless of how it looks its gonna be a big improvement over the 30hz of all the previous games

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Yep, im totally agreeing here, but they say the on the fly switching was the way they set out to make the remake from the start, power to them, regardless of how it looks its gonna be a big improvement over the 30hz of all the previous games

I played Halo CE and Halo 2 on PC (Though the Halo 2 port was probably one of the worst ports I've ever played), so yeah, 30Hz was not an issue :P The PC port for Halo CE was absolutely kickass though. I replayed the first mission where they board the Pillar dozens and dozens of times lol.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I played Halo CE and Halo 2 on PC (Though the Halo 2 port was probably one of the worst ports I've ever played), so yeah, 30Hz was not an issue :P The PC port for Halo CE was absolutely kickass though. I replayed the first mission where they board the Pillar dozens and dozens of times lol.

Ive only ever played forge and duck hunt in 3, never touched the other ones, 

Thanks for the link btw!

As would I, but 343 was very clear from the start that 720p 60fps was the H2A baseline, anything above was a bonus. 

The parts that I care about, the multiplayer, are all 1080p/60fps. Like that changes how fun Halo MP has always been for me. 

If I had fun with whatever the hell Halo 2 MP ran at back in the day, I'll definitely have fun now. Hell, I still think Halo 4 is a gorgeous game and when I found out its "specs" I was a little surprised at what 343 had extracted out of that engine on that hardware.

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure this is actually because of how the original game was rendered rather than any issue with modern hardware. It's been a long time since I read up on the Anniversary edition but if memory serves it was dual engined but to make it seamless they had to build off of the same base dimensions.

As far as H2 goes though its not a big issue for me, it wasn't super high resolution before and it was still an epic game with a great MP experience.

As would I, but 343 was very clear from the start that 720p 60fps was the H2A baseline, anything above was a bonus. 

The parts that I care about, the multiplayer, are all 1080p/60fps. Like that changes how fun Halo MP has always been for me. 

If I had fun with whatever the hell Halo 2 MP ran at back in the day, I'll definitely have fun now. Hell, I still think Halo 4 is a gorgeous game and when I found out its "specs" I was a little surprised at what 343 had extracted out of that engine on that hardware.

But i'd argue that the rectangular pixels could actually be a detriment over the 720 rendering, an example would be Shadows of the Collosus, who's 720 was native, but the 1080 mode dropped the hrender width to 960 so each pixel was rectangular, it looked horrid in practice and its probably the only time i'd disagree with something bluepoint has done.

halo 2 was a true port. Halo CE on PC and MAC were both almost full recodes.

Who cares, it's a shit game, just like all games in the series.

Pfffft, halo was lots of fun. Had more fun playing halo than quake, in fact i had more fun with it than unreal tournament. Its also very noob friendly.

Thanks for the link btw!

Since you are interested about the switching between engines and whatnot, IGN actually did quite a good first view on the Halo: MCC and showcasing a bit about each game and how Halo 2: Anniversary looks.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/07/the-horse-you-rode-in-on-a-halo-the-master-chief-collection-story-ign-first

Its FPS if halo didnt have it there would be a uprising!

True enough! haha

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

That is because it doesn't have DDR3 for VRAM silly.

;)

hmmm....yeah no matter what the DDR3 is being used for VRAM as well. The 32MB of ESRAM can't hold the texture data..... 

Probably UI and FOV problems, despite the fact it's supposed to be "remastered anniversary HD" edition.

It could also be that engine has some weird hard coded limitations. That game is as old as GTA SA after all (literally few days of a difference).

Of course people prefer the more powerful system that costs less, wouldn't you?

now that the xbone is the same price its a tougher call, but the PS4 version of a multiplat on console will near always be the better one, and Sony historically has better exclusives *snip*

Heres an example of the difference between the two. (there are other games like TR Def, but on xbone its locked at 30, same with murdered soul suspect)

It would be more telling if they were using the same vsync function, but PS4 is full vsync unlike xbone

Thats about the same difference you'll find between 980 and 970 or 290x vs 290 10 FPS +/-

Tomb Raider and Halo aren't PC franchises, the former has always been multiplat, leaning toward PS, and the latter had one game make that two games on PC. Lastly MC? MC isn't being delayed or limited on PC in any way so i think you're calling for the pitchforks a bit early

Lets See: Forza 5, Wolfenstien TNO, D3 Reaper of Souls, OutLast, most sports games.

Not an impressive list when the only one i knew off hand was Forza

I agree with you, but I should elaborate what I meant. I've seen people outright not even consider the XB1 due to how exaggerated the differences between the two are. I think that's silly tbh. When you're on a console you should prioritise the games first rather than the power of the system (unless the lack of power means you don't get some games).

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

That's a weird aspect ratio. 

1.23:1

CPU AMD FX-6300 Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) GPU PNY GTX 660 Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) Storage1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue PSU Corsair 500W Display(s)AOC and Viewsonic Cooling Enermax ETS-T40-TB Keyboard CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid with Blue Switches Dollar Store Mouse Sound Dollar Store Speaker

LOL.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Its also very noob friendly.

Might be true for social playlists but hop into MLG and you instantly get rekt.

144Hz goodness

To everyone who still hasn't caught on. The game won't be 4:3 on the TV, it  will be rendered squished and then stretched horizontally to fill the screen, a ton of last gen games did it.

Granted I haven't looked, but has no one done tests to see what these games look like on large format 4k TV's? I have to imagine it looks like doo-doo, right? 

Granted I haven't looked, but has no one done tests to see what these games look like on large format 4k TV's? I have to imagine it looks like doo-doo, right? 

On a 55" TV most all of these games should look identical between a 1080 and 4K display, now a game made from the ground up to be played on 4K will look nicer on 4K than it will look on 1080 but it won't look bad on 1080. The hype surrounding 4K is getting the better of it and its nowhere near saturated the market yet.

Might be true for social playlists but hop into MLG and you instantly get rekt.

snipers, snipers everywhere

To everyone who still hasn't caught on. The game won't be 4:3 on the TV, it will be rendered squished and then stretched horizontally to fill the screen, a ton of last gen games did it.

What you mean it's anamorphic no way! O.o